Question about AOE3 online play

• 2007 AAR League

Ok here is the deal …

I want to get Age of Empire 3 and the expansion because it seems like a good game.
    My friend already has the game and the expansion so I figure if I borrow his original game and install that on my computer and then buy the expansion I will have saved $50 and will still be able to play online.

Is this a correct assumption or will the CD key from the original game matter?

• I did the same thing with Call of Duty United Offensive and it worked.  Im guessing it will work.  If it doesn’t you can always return the game for a refund or store credit.

• 2007 AAR League

Thanks

• If you are both playing the expansion online (or even in a private network), it should work.  It depends on how far they go with anti-piracy mechanisms.  If it also references the cd key for the main game, you could be in trouble.

However, there are some companies that do allow you to “spawn” install on other computers for private LAN games.  I seem to remember the older AOE games allowing this and making it very easy for me and my friends.

I don’t know if they still have this, but on AOE2, you could have teammates play as the same civilization controlling the same units.  We’d play 2 vs. 2 with only 1 civ on each side, crank up the pop cap to max, and it would be great fun.  The control over your units was better since there were two of you, and my friend and I would divide tasks between civil and military, until we were ready for an offensive. I highly recommend this if they still have it. Great times!

• 2007 AAR League

Well it didn’t work  :lol:

They said that the cd-key could not be used to create more accounts (i had to make an EOS account)

• That sucks.  Oh well, at least you’ll be able to play with your friends.  :wink:

Jermo, that reminds me of when me and my friend did the same thing but with Rise of Nations.  We both controlled the same nation and I was in charge of the military issues while my friend was in charge of the economic issues.  It was really cool.  Now it would been crazier if there was one person controlling the economy, one person controlling the air force, another controlling the navy, etc.  :lol:

• @Mechanized:

That sucks.  Oh well, at least you’ll be able to play with your friends.  :wink:

Jermo, that reminds me of when me and my friend did the same thing but with Rise of Nations.  We both controlled the same nation and I was in charge of the military issues while my friend was in charge of the economic issues.  It was really cool.  Now it would been crazier if there was one person controlling the economy, one person controlling the air force, another controlling the navy, etc.  :lol:

How is Rise of Nations?  Do you recommend it?

• @Jermofoot:

@Mechanized:

That sucks.  Oh well, at least you’ll be able to play with your friends.  :wink:

I definately do recommend it.  My 232 hours of RoN on xfire should tell you that I like it a lot and thats also not including the many hours that ive played the game while I wasn’t logged in to xfire.  In all I have probably played like 1500 hours.  Its a really fun strategy game that is historically epic.  I like to have early skirmishes with hoplites and archers and then later on have Napoleonic style battles when i get musketeers, elite calvary, cannons, etc.  If the game lasts long enough, you can end it on a good note with tanks, jet fighters, bombers, rocket artillery, missiles, ICBM’s, etc.  I find it easier to micromanage the economy and military in Rise of Nations cause there are only a max of 6 resources you have to collect.  Also the naval battles are awesome too with galleons, fire ships, dreadnaughts, battleships, aircraft carriers, submarines, etc.

If you ever pick this game up, id really like to play it against you.  :lol:

• Rise of Nations:  The French

Lemme get a lumber bonus . . . no wait, let me also get supply wagons that heal . . .

World domination!

• @Mechanized:

@Jermofoot:

@Mechanized:

I definately do recommend it.  My 232 hours of RoN on xfire should tell you that I like it a lot and thats also not including the many hours that ive played the game while I wasn’t logged in to xfire.  In all I have probably played like 1500 hours.  Its a really fun strategy game that is historically epic.  I like to have early skirmishes with hoplites and archers and then later on have Napoleonic style battles when i get musketeers, elite calvary, cannons, etc.  If the game lasts long enough, you can end it on a good note with tanks, jet fighters, bombers, rocket artillery, missiles, ICBM’s, etc.  I find it easier to micromanage the economy and military in Rise of Nations cause there are only a max of 6 resources you have to collect.  Also the naval battles are awesome too with galleons, fire ships, dreadnaughts, battleships, aircraft carriers, submarines, etc.

If you ever pick this game up, id really like to play it against you.  :lol:

Sounds pretty good.  I may have to challenge you one day.  :wink:

• @newpaintbrush:

Rise of Nations:  The French

Lemme get a lumber bonus . . . no wait, let me also get supply wagons that heal . . .

World domination!

Dont forget about the Palace of Versailles wonder.  It makes French troops with supply wagons heal at double rate.  Also if you have the general when you research republic as a government and you are fighting on your land, you will heal at triple rate!!  :-o

@Jermofoot:

Sounds pretty good.  I may have to challenge you one day.  :wink:

And I shall definately accept!!  :lol:  Are you going to buy the game soon, or do you need me to hook you up with a dl link?  :wink:

• @Mechanized:

And I shall definately accept!!  :lol:  Are you going to buy the game soon, or do you need me to hook you up with a dl link?  :wink:

I usually try and buy good games.  PM me a “demo” link, please.  :wink:

• @Jermofoot:

@Mechanized:

I usually try and buy good games.  PM me a “demo” link, please.  :wink:

Gotcha.  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m