• Is anyone willing to gather all of the unit images from the AH website into a zip and give them friendly names?

So for the first unit on the Base Set Gallery which is listed under “France” with a caption of “MAS 7.5mm Rifle” has a default filename of “tn_mas_jpg”.  What would be helpful to me is if that image were instead named in catagory-unitname format ie “France-MAS 7.5mm Rifle.jpg”.  That way I can easily associate a caption to a unit image when I make a module.

With all the sets, I know this is no small task, but any help is appreciated!

Mot

• '19 Moderator

Here’s the link to the maps:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/maps

• @dezrtfish:

Here’s the link to the maps:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/maps

Thanks a million!  I’ll download them all ASAP.

Mot

• @Motdc:

Is anyone willing to gather all of the unit images from the AH website into a zip and give them friendly names?Â

So for the first unit on the Base Set Gallery which is listed under “France” with a caption of “MAS 7.5mm Rifle” has a default filename of “tn_mas_jpg”.  What would be helpful to me is if that image were instead named in catagory-unitname format ie “France-MAS 7.5mm Rifle.jpg”.  That way I can easily associate a caption to a unit image when I make a module.Â

With all the sets, I know this is no small task, but any help is appreciated!

Mot

Well, I’ll take the deafening silence as a “no thanks”.  I guess I’ll just start with the starter set instead of adding them all in to begin with.

I’ll keep everyone apprised of my progress!

Mot

• OK, a map question.  Which way are the maps typically oriented?  The rulebook displays the maps configured such that they run North-South (they are tall and narrow).  In the games they are plying via MS-Paint over at the AH forum they seem to be West-East instead.  Since computer monitors are generally oriented horizontally, I’m inclined to layout the mpa that way.  Any comments or suggestions?

Mot

• http://www.motcreations.com/forumfiles/aamini_sizes_032207.jpg

How does this sizing look?

This is one of the base-set maps, so a full game would require a map twice as wide and twice as tall.  Plus maybe an off-map staging area along the bottom.

Look at the units too.  The majority are the same size, but the units in the north-east hex are smaller.

Obviously the tradeoffs more screen needed but with better unit detail VS less of the screen needed but the units start getting scrunched.

Feedback please.

Mot

• Founder TripleA Admin

It doesn’t matter. The game is played by placing units on either long end but depending on the table, we’ll play N-S or E-W. It’s the same. I’d do E-W because ti fits on the screen better.

@Motdc:

OK, a map question.  Which way are the maps typically oriented?  The rulebook displays the maps configured such that they run North-South (they are tall and narrow).  In the games they are plying via MS-Paint over at the AH forum they seem to be West-East instead.  Since computer monitors are generally oriented horizontally, I’m inclined to layout the mpa that way.  Any comments or suggestions?

Mot

• Founder TripleA Admin

The size in the bottom left is good.

@Motdc:

http://www.motcreations.com/forumfiles/aamini_sizes_032207.jpg

How does this sizing look?

This is one of the base-set maps, so a full game would require a map twice as wide and twice as tall.  Plus maybe an off-map staging area along the bottom.

Look at the units too.  The majority are the same size, but the units in the north-east hex are smaller.

Obviously the tradeoffs more screen needed but with better unit detail VS less of the screen needed but the units start getting scrunched.

Feedback please.

Mot

• Thanks for the feedback.  As an aside, the images still look different between PaintShop Pro and IE (for me).

I can do an Alt-PrintScreen and paste that image back into PSP and the IE image is like 20% larger when set side-by-side with the original.  When I zoom the jpg out to about 85% (using the zoom tool in IE) then it looks like it does when I view it in PSP.

This is obviously an issue with my system or an IE setting or something, but it’s really annoying.  Anyone else have these problems?  Anyone have a few hints for me?

Thanks,
    Mot

• For units with names like these:

Mosin-Nagant 1891/30
    T-34/76

I assume abbreviating them like this is OK:

Mosin-Nagant
    T-34

Thanks for the help,
    Mot

• Is that picture what you have so far?  If so good job man.  Hope you have it working soon so we can all get our AAM on….via email.  :-D

• Great work Dude  :mrgreen:
    I hope this project of yours will be done.

BRAVO man

• Yes, those all are shots of the prototypes.

OK, here is the download link for the AA Miniatures module if anyone wan’t to see my progress:

http://www.motcreations.com/downloads/AAMiniatures.udm

Right now I’ve dropped in place-holder images as opposed to the final “pretty” images like you saw in the screen-shots.  (You can hover over a unit and read the tooltip that pops up to find out what a unit will eventually be).  This is just the first step of about twenty, I’ve got lots to do still.

To take a look at this module, you will need to:

1.  Go to http://www.motcreations.com and download and install MapView.

2.  Go to http://p078.ezboard.com/bmotcreationsgamingcommunity and download the current Alpha executable.

3.  Install the module (via thge Tools menu in MapView)

4.  Restart MapView and then just start up a New Game and start drag-dropping!

Feedback please!

Mot

• Where is the alpha?  :?

• Here you go (at the bottom):

http://p078.ezboard.com/fmotcreationsgamingcommunityfrm7.showMessage?topicID=67.topic

It says it in the linked thread but it is worth repeating, place the alpha executable in the same directory that you installed MapView in.

Mot

• I just updated the module again, so if you already downloaded it you might want to do so again.

Mot

• Wow!  I’m using your map module and I must say that I’m impressed, even though it is still a work in progress.  You are working on getting the units with the picture of them rather than just a silhouette right?  Anyways, great work!  I hope we get a big crowd of people playing AAM here, just like AAR.  :-D

If you need any help with this project, I am all for giving a helping hand.  :wink:

• Yes, the silhouettes are just placeholders.  I’ll be adding the real graphics is as I get time.Â

As for help, if anyone is comfortable editing XML or working PaintShop Pro or other image editor then I’d be happy to hand out work.  And of course, I posted far earlier in the thread the need for someone to collect certain images and rename them.

This is the XML that created the “France” Pallet tab including the two units.  It’s very repetative work, but basically one of those “token” structures nees to be typed up for each unit in the game.  I’ve done all of the Base Set, but there are a lot of units to go in the additional sets.

<category name="France">          <token token_id="France_MAS_75mm_Rifle" token_type="Image">            <pallet_image>Soldier_70x50.bmp</pallet_image>
                <drag_image>Drag_Drop_32x32.bmp</drag_image>
                <map_image>Soldier_70x50.bmp</map_image>
                MAS 7.5mm Rifle
                <click_region_x>25</click_region_x>
                <click_region_y>15</click_region_y>
                <click_region_w>20</click_region_w>
                <click_region_h>20</click_region_h>
            Â</token>

<token token_id="France_Renault_R35" token_type="Image">            <pallet_image>Renault_R_35.bmp</pallet_image>
                <drag_image>Drag_Drop_32x32.bmp</drag_image>
                <map_image>Renault_R_35.bmp</map_image>
                Renault R-35
                <click_region_x>25</click_region_x>
                <click_region_y>15</click_region_y>
                <click_region_w>20</click_region_w>
                <click_region_h>20</click_region_h>
            Â</token>

Â</category> 

If someone wants to create the unit images, I can give the guidelines on how to create a consistant look-and-feel with the ones I’ve already shown in the samples.

Mot

• Please take a look at this sample.  I’ve shrunk it down a bit.  I’m really trying to get as much of the map to fit on the screen as possible.  Plus, as others have mentioned, we will need an off-board areas to put the not-yet-deployed units.  My other goal is to try to keep the file size down a bit too.

Now is your chance to provide feedback, once I get too far down the pike you all are going to get stuck with what I come up with!

Mot

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Its looking quite good really.  Just remember that you need enough room in a hex for 5 pieces (2 units for each side and 1 plane.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m