• ok people back on topic…

• @Imperious:

ok people back on topic…

So what’s the ideas on the build for Germany’s Baltic navy?

2 transports, 3 transports, 1 aircraft carrier, 1 aircraft carrier and 3 transports, or nothing?

• @newpaintbrush:

@Imperious:

ok people back on topic…

2 transports, 3 transports, 1 aircraft carrier, 1 aircraft carrier and 3 transports, or nothing?

Yes.

Squirecam

• @squirecam:

@newpaintbrush:

@Imperious:

ok people back on topic…

Yes.

Squirecam

Which was it that you preferred, squirecam?

I think it was 1 aircraft carrier, 3 transports, or some such, followed either by use of those transports to take Karelia on G2, while using E. Europe infantry to trade Belorussia and Ukraine (plan A), or invasion of England (plan B).  Although I’m not too clear on the specifics, and I’d like to read more about it.

(edit) so I can do more of a writeup on it in an article on Germany.  I’m thinking it’s a willingness to trade early German gains for a larger Baltic navy, forcing the Allies to be more defensive, thereby putting off invasion of the Mediterranean and securing African IPCs for the long term. (/edit)

• 2007 AAR League

I thought Squire’s preferred build was 2 trn.  But I can’t remember where I got this idea so I may be wrong.  I may just be remembering the Caspian Sub paper.

• Well, from the “Baltic AC on G1 Mandatory” person on the list…

I have done quite well in my current game with 1 AC, 1 TRN purchased on G1… and placed off SOUTHERN.

UK has been at reduced income the entire game (and has been as low as 13 in the first 6 turns), and the added threat to Caucuses has forced the largely ignored Russia to play conservative while Germany neutralized UK.

• @ncscswitch:

I have done quite well in my current game with 1 AC, 1 TRN purchased on G1… and placed off SOUTHERN.

UK has been at reduced income the entire game (and has been as low as 13 in the first 6 turns), and the added threat to Caucuses has forced the largely ignored Russia to play conservative while Germany neutralized UK.

My last German opponent did that…it was quite a pain.

Wouldn’t have lasted as long without specific National Advantages we had in place (namely Luftwaffe DBs), but it still did exactly as you said…marginalized UK early while forcing Russia to play conservative.

• 2007 AAR League

If you play lowluck and you see that the allies are going for Japan, you might try to build a trn on Z5. Makes your navy there a super battleship and coupled with ftrs on Weu, you can really scare the brits off.

• 2007 AAR League

Real “men” don´t play ow uck Ezto    :evil:  :wink:

But i sometimes biuld either 1 Dst in SZ5, or 1 AC or nothing.

• @Nix:

Real “men” don´t play ow uck Ezto    :evil:   :wink:

But i sometimes biuld either 1 Dst in SZ5, or 1 AC or nothing.

I agree with 2 trans, or AC or AC+ trans.

I dont understand the dest build. For 4 more IPC you get alot more defense.

What is it you expect the Dest to do for you. And why not spend only 4 more IPC??

Squirecam

• 2007 AAR League

What is it you expect the Dest to do for you. And why not spend only 4 more IPC??

Squirecam

Better attack value when the fleet suicides, and i wouldn´t put Figs on a AC if i belived the allies could kill it.

And 4 ipc´s is one more Art going to Russia  ;)

• Hey all,

I have never chosen to have the Germans build a navy when Russia was still in play I would always put troops on the front line to make a stale mate. As I would do that I would buy fighters to strafe any allied navy nearby. So my question is when would you buy the Navy what ever you decide it should be? Should it be sooner or a few turns into the game after the line is drawn between Germany and Russia?

-LT04

• Let me be more specific:

I use the Luft Waffe to strafe the Allied Navy on combat movement. Then on NCM I move them back to the front line to reinforce. I think this way gets the most blood for the buck, serving both the land and sea.

• 2007 AAR League

If your buying Navy units with Germany it must be on R1 (and more later if you wish depending on strategy) But to not do it is to lett the alies kill your fleet. (baltic that is, atleast if your facing me as allies)

• Hey Nix,

What would a G1 purchase look like then if it were you? Also when you get your Navy where would you ideally deploy them?

• I agree with Nix that if you are going to build a navy for Germany it is on R1.  I never go for naval dominace with germany but you have to keep the UK and US busy while you batter down Russia’s door.  If you build a navy put it in the Baltic but spend so much that you detract from the Russian front.

• OK so if you put the German Navy in the Baltic Sea do you consider buying DST’s and BTL ships for coastal bombardment for taking / strafing / retaking, Norway, Karelia S.S.R. and Eastern Europe? Or do you only keep a navy to primarily disrupt UK and US forces from gettin a foothold situation on mainland Europe?

-LT04

• For the R1 builds it is just to keep the Allies from getting that foothold.  After Russia is on the ropes (if your opponent doesn’t give up) you can build DST, TRNS, and BB.  For the R1 purchase the standard is an AC.  It defends well (even better if you land planes on it) and makes the allies commit more than they want to in order to destroy your fleet.

• So you tend to build a diverse navy. Do you buy any subs as fodder?

• I usually avoid subs because if the Uk and US attack with Airforce I want my ships to fire back even if it is with a 1.  I would use TRNs as fodder.  Not only because they do get 1/6 chance of hitting something but also a German fleet with several TRNs makes the UK player defend against a possible invasion attempt.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m