• newpaintbrush:  Yeah, that Gibraltar attack is pretty sweet.  But it does run into a flexibility problem; namely, it is THEORETICALLY possible to unite the German fleet on G2, but PRACTICALLY, it is pretty difficult depending on the Allied air/navy.

Righto, so in this game I took a different approach.  G2 I used my Baltic trannies to move 4inf 4arm over to Karel.  I used the 2subs 4ftr to kill the UK BB and trn in SZ6 (my son was surprisingly unfazed, but this is a young man who’s sorceror died in an 18th level adventure at DunDraCon and he took it in stride; losing a BB is nothing to him) losing 1 sub and then 1 sub to UK2 air attack.  My Baltic fleet is down to 1DD 4trn, but so what.  I used my Med fleet to make a second assault on Egypt, and this time I was successful.  After G3 I control most of Africa; we’ll see how long I hold that.

So my Karelia stack is up to 12inf 2art 11arm 2ftr, which sounds great, but in WRus he has amassed IIRC 24inf 2art 6arm 2ftr, so I have a lot of catching up to do.  At this point all I can do is trade territories and build up a big stack, but I certainly can’t confront Russia directly, not when he has such a big advantage in infantry.

For J2, I took China, built an IC in Kwang (I already have 5trn), consolidated forces and put a stack of inf there.  Whereas I meant to attack Hawaii, I delayed that to J3 due to a logistical mistake on my part.  My goal is to take New Zealand or Australia J4 and then go to SZ42 and see what that does to US plans.

• btw, just my luck, on UK2 my son did sbr, I rolled “4” and he rolled “6” and of course laughed in my face!  :-P :lol:

• btw, I did NOT attempt fleet unification in the game against my son.  I had no bid, so I really needed the Med fleet to support my attack on Egypt, which went well, and of course my tank is running amok in Africa.  Just to test him, I left the tank alone in FWA after a blitz move.  US is within range to take FWA and kill my tank, but I doubt he will see that move.

Meanwhile, I am using Baltic trannies to build up a big stack in Karel, making Russia nervous!

• @goldenbearflyer:

btw, I did NOT attempt fleet unification in the game against my son.  I had no bid, so I really needed the Med fleet to support my attack on Egypt, which went well, and of course my tank is running amok in Africa.  Just to test him, I left the tank alone in FWA after a blitz move.  US is within range to take FWA and kill my tank, but I doubt he will see that move.

Meanwhile, I am using Baltic trannies to build up a big stack in Karel, making Russia nervous!

1.  US taking FWA on US2 is not really all that great, because US has to divert a valuable transport.  Of course, I’m not saying US taking FWA is bad either.  But there are often reasons to ignore FWA.

2.  A big stack in Karelia would have been critical in Classic.  In Revised, a German stack on Karelia is far less of a problem for Russia, as a major German stack at Karelia inevitably invites Russia to either 1) establish a forward position in Ukraine; if Germany advances to Archangel, the W. Russia stack moves back, the Ukraine stack moves back, and Allied fighters move to Moscow, effectively trapping the German army, or 2) Russia pulls hit and run on Karelia, which is basically Russia attacking in great force, ripping the heart out of the German army, then retreating to West Russia, so the Germans have no place to attack.

• 2007 AAR League

Ahhh, but what if the German stack just sits in Karelia instead of moves to Archangel.  Now how are the allies going to move troops to reinforce Russia?

• @rjclayton:

Ahhh, but what if the German stack just sits in Karelia instead of moves to Archangel.  Now how are the allies going to move troops to reinforce Russia?

Let us say that Germany thinks it can, with Japan’s help, take Moscow.  Then the German stack will not be in Karelia long.  Then the German stack will move to West Russia or Archangel.  Then the Russians can try a hit and run from Moscow using Russian infantry and Russian artillery and Russian tanks and Russian fighters if the Germans are relatively weak at that point (because a strong position at Karelia does not equate to a strong position in Archangel/West Russia, as every turn gives Russia another turn to build up), OR if the Germans are still mighty, the Allies can fly leftover fighters from the Atlantic battle in to defend Moscow.  (Frankly, if the Allies didn’t win the Atlantic battle and have some leftover fighters by the time Germany gets such a big pile of units, the Allies are probably toast).

If Germany just sits in Karelia, the Allies can move units into Archangel anyways.  If the German stack attacks the Archangel stack, Russia can counterattack from Moscow.  IF that is, Japan is not seriously threatening Moscow.  If the Germans have a mighty stack on Karelia and the Japs have a mighty stack on Novosibirsk, though, that’s game anyways.

• In some ways it’s harder playing a 12-year-old newbie, because he WON’T always make the “logical” or expected move.  That’s why I wonder if my lone tank is safe in FWA; my son doesn’t care if it makes sense to destroy that.  Does he care enough to keep playing, that is the question. :wink:

Last night we did not play.  My fault entirely; we went to our local game store to have fun at “game night”, where we try out lots of different board/card games, etc.  For some reason there was a guy from Hero Games teaching some weird game called Cyberspace, IIRC.  It was fun, but it took longer than I expected, so we couldn’t even finish one game.  :-(

I challenged one of my friends to try A&AR, I would take Axis, but he thinks the game takes too long.  I tried to convince him we could save time by using TripleA, but he is not sold on it. :cry:  I’m persistent; I’ll think of a way to get him hooked.

Meanwhile, tonight I have to “persuade” my son to play…

• Tell us more about this “persuasion”.

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

Tell us more about this “persuasion”.

LOL!

@newpaintbrush:

If the German stack attacks the Archangel stack, Russia can counterattack from Moscow. IF that is, Japan is not seriously threatening Moscow. If the Germans have a mighty stack on Karelia and the Japs have a mighty stack on Novosibirsk, though, that’s game anyways.

What if Germany just strafes the inferior Archangel stack every turn and continues reinforcing Karelia from Eastern?

• @rjclayton:

@newpaintbrush:

If the German stack attacks the Archangel stack, Russia can counterattack from Moscow. IF that is, Japan is not seriously threatening Moscow. If the Germans have a mighty stack on Karelia and the Japs have a mighty stack on Novosibirsk, though, that’s game anyways.

What if Germany just strafes the inferior Archangel stack every turn and continues reinforcing Karelia from Eastern?

Well, if Germany strafes the Archangel stack, then:

1.  Germany’s position at Karelia does not get any stronger, while Russia continues to build at Moscow.

2.  If Germany strafed and did not take, the Allies can move more infantry into Archangel.

3.  Germany wins the IPC trade with UK and US, but UK and US should have around 50ish combined income, at least, as well as a big transport chain.  Germany has to neutralize around 10 infantry a turn once the Allied chain gets going.  (That is - US produces in Eastern Europe, those ground units march to Eastern Canada, then transport group A takes the E. Canada units to London, then transport group B takes the London units to Archangel).  To elaborate, UK should have 4 transports (I usually get 5), and US two groups of 3 transports each.  Since E. Canada is also in range of W. Europe, Germany has to watch out for 10 transports of units moving into W. Europe.  Of course, the Allies MIGHT have used some of those transports against Africa, but that in turn cuts off German IPCs from Africa.

What that proposition amounts to is Germany is contained, and Russia is free to counter Japanese aggression.  Russia ought to have enough units to at least secure Moscow and trade Kazakh/Novosibirsk every turn.  Of course, if Russia is surrounded by Japan, then the Allies have a pretty big problem.  Also, I don’t say this position was inevitable in the first place; the Allies have to secure the north Atlantic for all this good stuff to happen first.  (But I think it’s pretty hard to stop).

• @newpaintbrush:

Tell us more about this “persuasion”.

“Luuu-ceee!  Do I hafta ‘splane ev’rythin 2 u?  If u dunt play d’ bort gem w’ thme, u dunt gettallowance!!!”

“Uh-ewww!  Can I still be in the show?”

“How many times I hafta tell u, u can’t be in d’ show, an’ I dunt wanna talk about it no more!”

• Surprise, surprise, I didn’t have to threaten or bully my son to get him to play!  But after he scraped himself away from his D&D books, and given his sloth-like pace of play, we managed only another 1 round of play.  He ended Russia’s turn with about 30inf + other stuff on WRus.  I left my Karel stack basically intact and strafed Arch, took back Belo and Ukr which he left undefended.  However, US did make its first real move by landing in Algeria.  At this point I have to commit more infantry to WEur/SEur, as he is threatening invasion SOON, like maybe next turn unless I’m careful.  But since he said he was thinking KGF but used Colonial Garrison in India, he is splitting UK’s efforts.

It’s like many of you have pointed out, though, with that IC in India he’s got to DEFEND it, which in all likelihood is impossible against J; I have about 8inf and 6+arm in range to attack India next turn.  Difficult to have IC in India unless pure KJF, right?  We’ll see how much he reinforces it.  (Don’t forget, he took Non-Aggression pact, so it’s a better choice for me to go the southern route anyway.)

• I usually trigger Non-Aggression pact J3-J4 ish with overwhelming hordes from Japanese transports.

You will eventually want to invade Russia, and when you do, it’s a lot better to force Russia to lose those infantry to a coastal invasion than having thse infantry in, say, Novosibirsk or Kazakh, or even Caucasus.

• My “friend” didn’t give a damn about the Pact and in the third round hit Novo.  Non-aggression pact my commie-red backside!  :-D :x

• @General_D.Fox:

My “friend” didn’t give a damn about the Pact and in the third round hit Novo. Non-aggression pact my commie-red backside! :-D :x

Right. gotta watch the backside! :-o

@newpaintbrush:

I usually trigger Non-Aggression pact J3-J4 ish with overwhelming hordes from Japanese transports.

You will eventually want to invade Russia, and when you do, it’s a lot better to force Russia to lose those infantry to a coastal invasion than having thse infantry in, say, Novosibirsk or Kazakh, or even Caucasus.

My son has 5inf in Bury.  I was thinking of being tricky and triggering the Pact in Kaz or somewhere and then crushing Bury the turn after, but I’m not sure that will help.

• ~~If you attack multiple red territories on the same turn, the first territory you carry out combat in will get the bonus Russian infantry.  The others will not.

You do not have to wait a turn.

Anyways, I wouldn’t trigger it in Kazakh, unless you already had overwhelming numbers there.~~

I disavow this post.  If Japan attacks multiple red territories, Russia DOES get to decide where to place those extra Russian infantry for Nonaggression Treaty.

• @newpaintbrush:

If you attack multiple red territories on the same turn, the first territory you carry out combat in will get the bonus Russian infantry.  The others will not.

You do not have to wait a turn.

Per the official FAQ at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/axisrevised#advantages, it is Russia that determines where the extra Inf goes, not Japan.

The Nonaggression Treaty allows Russia to place four units in the territory Japan attacks first. What if the Japanese player attacks two or more red territories on the same turn?
    In that case, the Soviet player chooses which of the territories being attacked gets the four infantry.

• d’oh.

• JamesG just pwned the pot-smokin owl.  How’s that for retributive justice!  :-P :-D 
    By the way owl man, you should as yourself to your list of those who have been PWNED! Serious Pwnage.  Don’t ya just love the word Pwn(age)(ed)(ing).  :evil:

• Nope, my “pwned” list is for posters I have personally pwned.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m