• Just wondering what unit combinations anyone has found that are particularly useful…

The reason I ask is because in a recent game I played, I found that the US M1 81mm Mortar is now one of my favorite units, and I found that one of the best things to pair with it would be a Hunting Sniper.  But really, with Improved Indirect Fire, any US unit can act as spotter for it.

Anyone find anything else?

• I alway like the WerExpert snipe paired with some SS panthers.  Disrupts any tanks and bum rush him from behind.

I’m also thinking of ammo dump with a vet Tiger.  might be nice  a roll of a 2 is the only bad thing till the dump gets killed.

Also I had bren gunners used against me.  that surpressive fire ability along with some other 5/5 troops really could work.  I’m actually putting together an Allied Army!!!

• @AgentOrange:

Just wondering what unit combinations anyone has found that are particularly useful…

The reason I ask is because in a recent game I played, I found that the US M1 81mm Mortar is now one of my favorite units, and I found that one of the best things to pair with it would be a Hunting Sniper.  But really, with Improved Indirect Fire, any US unit can act as spotter for it.

Anyone find anything else?

Depends on what you mean by combos. I don’t particularily see the US 81mm mortar and another spotting unit as a combo, but just part of the ability (kind of like saying spotter & indirect fire is a combo… technically I suppose it is…). The US 81mm and a Red Devil Captain’s pinpointer is more a combo to me. Throw in a plane than can instantly spot anywhere in the map and now you’re going somewhere.

Other combos:
    KV-1 & Cossack Captain: The classic combo which gives you a practicially immune Cossack Captain on the KV-1; enemy infantry will have an extremely hard time hitting the KV-1 (or most anything else for that matter), and if the KV-1 starts getting pounded the captain can (usually) easily just jump off.

SS-Determination/Veteran Crew/Hero units and minefields: Heros are completely immune to them and SS-Determination/Veteran Crew are somewhat immune, letting you escape/advance/maneuvre relatively unhindered depending on what is needed.

Imperial Sergeant & SS-PGs: tons of dice hitting on at least 3+ (2+ if enemy is disrupted), and difficult for some infantry and most vehicles to stop.

Commanders & Transports: Any commander on a transport is usually good, as it allows him to spread his CA around to distant troops. Tally-Ho! and Angriff/Banzai are especially good with this. The Canadian Eagle-Eyed NCO is a good example of this - your opponent sets up his units range 5+ from yours, normally out of range, until your Jeep-mounted NCO rushes over.

Transported units and Angrif/Banzai: Speaking of Angriff/Banzai… Drive up, jump out, charge in. Excellent for Panzerfausts or other AT units to assault vehicles with, but also extremely expensive. Best used in larger games.

Gurkhas & Tally-Ho (& Elan): The Gurkhas can be deadly up close, and Tally-Ho! gives you the mobility to get their. Elan can help even more to get into the same hex vs undisrupted units, but the cost starts adding up.

(Partial Combo) Commissar & KMT Riflemen: The Commissar offs the cheap riflemen to pump up whatever unit you wish. Fanatical Snipers are always good for this, but it works well on other units like the Bofors or mortars.

Artillery, Gun Transport, Cavalry/Motorcycle: If you’re in a rush to set up an artillery (eg 88 on a hill or bunker) postion first turn then take these units. Start the artillery loaded in the transport. Move the fast infantry unit and the transport to the same hex, then unload the artillery into the adjacent hex you want it. Not exactly an outstanding combo, but it can be useful.

Tiger I & SS-PG: The Tiger overruns an infantry, which the SS-PG can then be ruthless against. Overruning during the movement is best, but if the Tiger isn’t that effective against the soldier (and has nothing better to do) it can do it in both phases.

There are TONS more, and the ones I’ve listed aren’t all necessarily the best there are. Also I prefer to keep to the single 2 unit combos, as larger ones are usually easy to disrupt / hard to pull off.

Also cleveland, I think spending over half your army on what’s basically one unit is… beyond excessive. It depends somewhat on what you would use with the units, but I don’t see it as being that great at all. Even despite all that all I may need is one attack to take out the depot. Or even just kill your spotters. I’ll have 2:1 odds on your other units while the rest just sit back. Fallschirmjager, Defiant PTs, and Screaming Eagle PTs especially shouldn’t have all that much problem against it either.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m