New Kriegsmarine-destroying bug found in A&A cdr-game

• Cheers y’all  :evil:

Playing A&A, my favourite strategy for germany is the “kriegsmarine” approach. Although this choice of strategy is VERY risky indeed, it is one of the most funny when it does succeed. (Well, if you desperately NEED to win, the german north fleet strategy - with its “all or nothing” approach - can NOT be recommended)

However: Depending on the war situation (Russia’s first turn) this Kriegsmarine strategy can be pursued purchasing fx. 4 subs on Germany’s first turn. Following this approach, here is a possible scenario:

Round 0: Russia attacks and takes Norway/Finland

Germanys turn: Germany attacks british home fleet with subs and available planes and after just one shot retreat subs to the baltic sea while the planes finish off the job. During “Place Units” Germany places 4 subs in the baltic sea.

UK and US (during their turns) try to hit as many german subs as possible (+ the tranny).

round 1: Russia’s turn: trying to hit as many german subs as possible (+ possibly taking ukraine)

Now, if any german subs managed to survive, germany will use these, together with all available airplanes, for yet another (hopefully decisive) attack on the reinforced allied fleet in the north sea.

Using the same tactics as in round O, - retreating the subs to the baltic sea after just one shot (to help protect future shipbuilding), and let the planes finish the job - IS NOT POSSIBLE!!!

Yes, you WILL get the message “attacking subs may retreat” and you can definitely hit the “RETREAT” button and thereby selecting the “baltic sea” which is marked with green colour as it should be, highlighting the baltic as a perfectly legal retreat-zone.

But when you do this - OH BOY - the subs not only STAY in combat, BUT THE HOLE GAME FREEZES - And you will have to reboot your PC the hard way. - Check for yourself.

The really weird thing is that this “secret weapon” (the bug) is apparently only active against the Kriegsmarine during round 1 (second round).

I’m aware of the AA Starter Pack v4.1 patch, - but reading the info about the patch, I find nothing indicating that THIS specific error has been found and repaired.

I think it’s a very serious issue, as this illegal combatant (the bug) is trying effectively to destroy the Kriegsmarines unmatched superiority  ;-)

Does anyone has anything to say about this strange bug ?            Â

• well scheise…that actually worked.

• 2007 AAR League

I have a question about this strategy.  If UK has any units at all in the London sz, then the German kreigsmarine cannot retreat from the Baltic Seazone when they are attacked in either UK1/US1/R2.  Even the subs cannot withdraw because they have nowhere friendly to withdraw to.  So how could the allies possibly let that navy survive to G2?

Never played the Hasbro CDROM so I have no comment on that, but IMO this strategy will never work.

• I have a question about this strategy.  If UK has any units at all in the London sz, then the German kreigsmarine cannot retreat from the Baltic Seazone when they are attacked in either UK1/US1/R2.  Even the subs cannot withdraw because they have nowhere friendly to withdraw to.  So how could the allies possibly let that navy survive to G2?

The technical answer is: The u-boots can submerge.

• but as I said, they will definitely take heavy losses, and the strategy is not recommended against good players. Even against moderate players you will rarely succeed with this plan.

Look at the odds:

At UK1 after germany have placed units 4 subs in baltic sea:

If russia did not attack the Kriegsmarine, and the german subs survived attack on the uk fleet, the german north fleet will now be as strong as 1 tranny and 6 subs (one sub probably in uk sea). how much of this will survive? probably not much if bombed decisively.

However, It’s easy to see, that with a little luck, (or if not attacked properly) several subs can have survived by submerging, giving the allies a serious headache on uk2. According to the rules, the german subs can retreat back to baltic sea after attacking uk fleet g2.

If germany finally manage to get the subs protected (by carrier or battleship) then the Kriegsmarine have won the day, and germany will probably win the war.

But again: The odds is rather bad against even moderate players. I would never use this strategy against a experienced player in a serious game.

But in theory….with some luck…and a little dreaming  :|

• @Colonel:

• but as I said, they will definitely take heavy losses, and the strategy is not recommended against good players. Even against moderate players you will rarely succeed with this plan.

So why come up with a strategy that rarely works against retards??

• So why come up with a strategy that rarely works against retards??

Please read the toppost again. I have from the first moment warned the readers against the use of the strategy in important games or tournaments.

All I did was in fact to  report a bug in the PC-game!

But yes, I like the Kriegsmarine-strategy because it’s fun, - that’s it. Just as i like other strategies which rarely succeeds but have the potential to change the board completely when they do.

I like to analyse different strategies to see their potentials, and think it’s fun when they succeeds against odds.

In this way, the pleasure with a&a, is to me more than just winning, - more than just statistics and dice.

In any case, don’t forget; STATISTICS IS ALL LIES. The statisticly most winning strategy will never win, since that strategy will be exactly the strategy that everyone will most desperately prepare himself against.

I need some SURPRISE - or I get bored!!  :evil:

• 2007 AAR League

@Colonel:

The technical answer is: The u-boots can submerge.

I thought we were talking about Classic A&A, not Revised A&A?  Because if we are, then you are incorrect.  Subs cannot submerge.  Hence my above post about the subs not being able to withdraw because there is no friendly seazone to withdraw to.

So there will be no German baltic navy left for G2.

Unless, as scarface said, you are playing against individuals with certain learning disabilities.

• I thought we were talking about Classic A&A, not Revised A&A?  Because if we are, then you are incorrect.  Subs cannot submerge.  Hence my above post about the subs not being able to withdraw because there is no friendly seazone to withdraw to.

No, technically I’m not incorrect, - but sorry, for not being explicit.

“Submerge” is a part of the 3rd edition (cd-r) rules playable on the classic board, and very popular. Not 2nd edit exactly, but still rules for the classic board. Basically a “2nd edition extended”, really.

I could have said explicitly that I was playing a 3rd edition CD-game, I just thought it was obvious, since I was referring to the CD-R game (The “classic” CDRvideo game, not a revised map).

The CD-R contains 2nd edit rules as well as the specific additional 3rd edition rules: (east-west canada/submerge/naval occupation/arial retreat)  + the very popular rule options: “two hit battleship”, “USSR restricted” etc.

Many people actually play with these rules on the classic board as well. On boardgames in my house-club/playnights (now 3 groups of people) we very rarely play “strictly 2nd” (we soon got bored!). Much more often we play 3rd edition with option: “two hit battleship”, - but yeah, soon we will catch a revised A&A - i believe)

Concerning the nasty Kriegsmarine-destroying monster bug: This awful bug apparently comes creepin’ both in the 2nd and 3rd rules on the CD-R.

:-(

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m