@squirecam:

@DarthMaximus:

I think it is very possible to “disguise” a KJF all the way up until US 1.

Infact, I now use pretty much the same opening for the Allies (R1 and UK1) then decide on US 1 which route I want to take.

Yes, you can disguise it.

But what AR and I was saying is that to take maximum advantage USSR 2, troops need to be placed in certain areas, which if put there, gives Germany not subtle hints on what you plan to do.

If you dont do these moves, you can still KJF, but it wont be as strong, since your USSR troops are not put in the best spot to exploit a japanese opening.

Squirecam

I disagree (about the strength of the disguised KJF that is)
    In the strat I use, Russia has nothing to do with Japan anyway, so it is of little concern to me.

• @DarthMaximus:

@squirecam:

@DarthMaximus:

Infact, I now use pretty much the same opening for the Allies (R1 and UK1) then decide on US 1 which route I want to take.

But what AR and I was saying is that to take maximum advantage USSR 2, troops need to be placed in certain areas, which if put there, gives Germany not subtle hints on what you plan to do.

If you dont do these moves, you can still KJF, but it wont be as strong, since your USSR troops are not put in the best spot to exploit a japanese opening.

Squirecam

In the strat I use, Russia has nothing to do with Japan anyway, so it is of little concern to me.

That may be true for you.

In the way I KJF, I use all 3 countries. Therefore, USSR placement is important.

Let me ask you a couple Q if I can on your moves:

1 - UKR attack??  (I dont)
    2 - Add India troops?? (I do)
    3 - Bury stack?? (I do)

Squirecam

• @squirecam:

AR,

You going to Greg’s spring gathering??

Squirecam

I don’t have the time to travel to a tourneyment.

It’s hard enough getting an hour or two here or there for a PBEM game, although I can swing a Friday night every now and then with my gaming group for some FTF.

• @axis_roll:

@squirecam:

AR,

You going to Greg’s spring gathering??

Squirecam

I don’t have the time to travel to a tourneyment.

It’s hard enough getting an hour or two here or there for a PBEM game, although I can swing a Friday night every now and then with my gaming group for some FTF.

Spring Gathering is NOT a tournament.

Just 30 people playing FTF games. Its just for fun. No pressure, just a chance to play with some great people and try out different stuff. Plus some nice raffle prizes Greg has.

I know TomJag is heading down for it. If you can, you should try to make it. It should be a lot of fun.

Squirecam

Yeah, mine might be better described as a Cripple Japan First.

R1

I have done Wrus or Wrus and Ukr (sometimes with 3 inf, 1 rt, 2 arm, 2 ftr).
    At the moment I’m leaning toward just Wrus.
    No Bury Stack, all Eastern troops reatreat (they’ll be needed against Ger) OR a Yak stack, which then moves to Novo once Japan has unloaded enough in Bury.

UK 1
    Retreat Trj and Ind to a Per stack with fleet unification in Sz 30 (no inf on trns yet)

US 1 should I go through with it
    Sin retreat to Kaz
    Join UK fleet in Sz 8 with troops
    Buy 2 ac, 1 ftr to have 2 ac 4 ftrs, 1 bb, 1 dd, 1 trn in Sz 55.

Round 2

Russia holds her own agains Ger
    UK/US hit Alg
    UK fleet in sz 30 (if alive) can pick up Aus troops, or head to Aus to meet with US, or take Per troops to Afr (all pending J fleet)
    US can build up fleet or head to Sol for meeting with UK

Round 3

UK/US to Afr again (or switch to Nor) pending Ger purchases.
    If they bought navy you probably have to go to Nor to block any assualt on UK.
    Etc…

Note:
    If Ger goes navy heavy (possible assualt on UK) on G1 or something I simply forget about the KJF idea and plan accordingly.

• @DarthMaximus:

@squirecam:

@DarthMaximus:

Squirecam

UK and USA would have to get after Japan pretty damn fast and hard ….

I think it’s best to keep Japan from ever getting going.   Japan with only mid-upper $30s income gives the US economic/production advantage time to get after Japans navy.  USSR is right there to thwart Japans opening round expansion… UK forces are limited while US takes a bit to get there.

These leads to Russia doing the early dirty work, UK keeping Japan honest and poor by holding India and possibly trading FIC… USA comes in to either force Japanese Naval purchases or swoop in on the big islands (or both).

I am NOT saying that KJF MUST use Russians, in fact, I imagine it’s possible to have Russia take on Germany full force (with a strong slow w/d from out east) wiht UK help as much as possible.

KJF can have several flavors, often times they are successful simply because the Japanese player has never seen said flavor before and then fails to properly react.  A seasoned Revised Japanese player, IMHO, can withstand the UK/USA KJF pressure.

• @squirecam:

Just 30 people playing FTF games. Its just for fun. No pressure, just a chance to play with some great people and try out different stuff. Plus some nice raffle prizes Greg has.

I know TomJag is heading down for it. If you can, you should try to make it. It should be a lot of fun.

Squirecam

Sorry I misunderstood about Spring Gathering.

There’s a 14 page thread at AH about the Spring gathering I don’t have time to look through… is there an easier place to get the details?
    Dates, location, rules (I don’t like time/round constrainted games)…?

Good points.

I guess, it comes down to this, I really like not making the commitment until US 1.  And put a very high value on that.

Lets see the rolls on G1 and J1, and how they are going to play.   :-)

• @axis_roll:

@squirecam:

Squirecam

Sorry I misunderstood about Spring Gathering.

There’s a 14 page thread at AH about the Spring gathering I don’t have time to look through… is there an easier place to get the details?
    Dates, location, rules (I don’t like time/round constrainted games)…?

http://www.geocities.com/headlesshorseman2/AAspringgathering.html

We’re Back!  The 5th Annual 2007 Axis & Allies “Spring Gathering V” is back and bigger than ever.  For those who are unfamiliar with what the Spring Gathering is; it is a day and a half of friends and AA advocates getting together from across the country to play all variants of Axis & Allies, AA Mini’s and games alike.  This is not a tournament.  It is held in the historic Cincinnati Museum Center (CMC) in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio.  As the title suggests, this is our fifth year running and we hope to continue well into the future with this growing event.  So, please consider joining us for this fun and exciting weekend of gaming!

Friday Night Event Information: This year, the Spring Gathering V will kick off, just as years past, on Friday, March 30th; at the ever popular ACME Games & Comics for a Friday Night Gaming Session:  This round of gaming will begin at 7:00pm and run until they kick us out.  ACME Games & Comics is located at: 7121 Salem Rd. Cincinnati, Ohio (513)-231-3866(FUNN)  This portion of the event is free and all ages of gamers are welcome!

Spring Gathering V Information: The Spring Gathering will take place at the CMC in the Collet Gallery in the Rotunda (Main Entrance Level,
    in Front of the Omni-Max Theater) Hours of the event will be 8am-10pm. There will be signs directing you to the location once inside…The cost to attend this event is $5.00/person.  Children under the age of 12 are FREE.  Pre-registration is NOT required but, for our purposes is encouraged.  Spring Gathering V Event Registration Form This will help us get a better handle on how many to expect and what kind of events need to be scheduled.  The other benifit for pre-registering is that if you do so by Friday March, 23rd, you will be sent a FREE Parking Pass for the CMC.  Parking without a pass is $5 per car. Â

Event Door Prizes:  This is not your typical CON when it comes to prizes.  What, prizes you say!  Yes.  We provide everyone the chance, with the purchase of at least one entry ticket, to win door prizes throughout the day.  Drawings are every hour and for the most part, the prizes are Axis & Allies games(Bulge, D-Day, Revised, Europe, Pacific), signed copies of a game by Larry Harris himself, mini’s, diecasts, t-shirts and much, much more…

• Only if I can bring and set up the big board:

believe it or not, it’s mobile and fits in the back of the Durango!

Good gaming!

• @axis_roll:

Only if I can bring and set up the big board:

believe it or not, it’s mobile and fits in the back of the Durango!

Good gaming!

I hope you can make it.

I have a 3 by 5 I’ll be bringing. It rolls up so its easy to take with me.

Squirecam

• Darth, and all you fellow Chicago-ites

You should make the short trip to the Spring Gathering.

Friday March 30 & Saturday March 31.

We can see your KJF in person.  :-)

Squirecam

• 2007 AAR League

You can also bomb those ICs.
    Unless you spend $$ buying an extra aa.
    One less attacking unit has to be moved from Japan (AA for other IC).

Production capacity as mentioned by Darth.  Well stated.  Maximize production first.

Finally, Transports get those inf off the Islands into Asia.

To me, even in KJF, aside from the inf on the non producing Islands, the inf on the Big Islands can be shucked to Asia.

Does it make the Island more defenseless?  Yes.  However, with bombardment and ftrs coming strong, defending inf will rarely defend the Island from occupation.  More times than not, w/o loss.  Why not have those inf on your asian front.

Not buying inf also means you can buy other stuff to keep the US in the eastern pacific.

• Darth has hit on the key theme for Japan in the early and mid game… utilization of capacity.

If they have a tone of capacity, but lack the income to fully implement it, then why did you invest in the IC’s to begin with?

Max out capacity, then UPGRADE that capacity yeild (replacing INF with INF/ART combos, then later INF/ARM) so that you get the maximum bang out of every potential unit of production.  Then, once you have maxed out production, THINK about adding more capacity.  And once you are CERTAIN you can fill that, AND defend your existing capacity, etc. it might be a good idea to add more capacity.

Purely a business situation here… excess capcity is a waste of resources.

• Capacity is not the only issue though.  Placement flexibility is important too.  Having more than one location from which to mobilize troops gives you more tactical options, and forces the foe to adapt to new centres of strength.

~Josh

• 2007 AAR League

But the IC´s can allso be used as “anchors” to defend the mainland from US/USSR double team grabs. (with can be nasty for the Axis)

But im all for the hit Japan first thing (not neccesarily killing him), but he can´t be let free to roam Asia/Africa/Australia-new zeeland…  it´s devestating for the allies, and more importantly the Russians.

If russia stacks Buryatia, puts 2 arm in yakut, UK kills the kwang trn (witch i failed to do twice in a row…), UK attacks FIC with 3 inf, 1 fig, lands fig in Sinkiang), Assembles UK Pacific fleet in SZ30.

USA can then choose how to do things, same for Russia and UK on turn 2.

Germany and Japan have allready shown their hand, and with 1 Trn Buryatia attack is risky, even if Pearl is ignored, if Fic was wiped, China will be harder, Sinkiang IC would look tempting.

If japan ignores pearl US have got a free carrier/sub/fig that can be nasty in the long run…

But my bottom line is Japan can´t be set loose unrestrained.

@squirecam:

Darth, and all you fellow Chicago-ites

Squirecam

Not gonna be able to make it in March.  :-(

Look over there!!!

adds US ships to Pacific

• @DarthMaximus:

@squirecam:

Darth, and all you fellow Chicago-ites

Squirecam

Not gonna be able to make it in March.   :-(

Look over there!!!

adds US ships to Pacific

This is also a bad weekend for me, unfortunately  :(

• '19 Moderator

@Nix:

But im all for the hit Japan first thing (not neccesarily killing him), but he can´t be let free to roam Asia/Africa/Australia-new zeeland…   it´s devestating for the allies, and more importantly the Russians.

If russia stacks Buryatia, puts 2 arm in yakut, UK kills the kwang trn (witch i failed to do twice in a row…), UK attacks FIC with 3 inf, 1 fig, lands fig in Sinkiang), Assembles UK Pacific fleet in SZ30.

USA can then choose how to do things, same for Russia and UK on turn 2.

Germany and Japan have allready shown their hand, and with 1 Trn Buryatia attack is risky, even if Pearl is ignored, if Fic was wiped, China will be harder, Sinkiang IC would look tempting.

If japan ignores pearl US have got a free carrier/sub/fig that can be nasty in the long run…

But my bottom line is Japan can´t be set loose unrestrained.

If anyone wants to monitor this in action see the league game between Nix and myself. ;)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m