• 2007 AAR League

No, the issue i have with “scales” such as these is that it´s inconsistent.

In real life more factors are to be considered, like who do they work with?, trade partners?, military aid?, popular support?, (if so where and why?), what is a win?.

Im more into looking at one conflict at the time and analyze it properly. Then you can use these result in one conflict to comment other ones, but it can´t be used as the “truth”.

Then we get the same issues as we did with the Kosovo Bombings  (wich are considered that the world community did “to much to fast”, as to opposed in the Yugoslavia war when it was considered doing “to little to late”)

The consequence is that Serbs in Kosovo has been forced to leave, Serbia was punished thought it was fighting a guerrilla campaign (which aimed at drawing NATO into the conflict, and deliberately broke a ceasefire to do so, successfully i might add)

Both sides in this conflict did some dumb shit, but hadn´t the memory/“experience” of the Yugoslavia war been used to exemplify the Serbs behavior the response had n´t been so harsh….

Iraq is another example when things go wrong because it´s not analyzed enought before action is taken.

• I think you could still use a scale system to work it out it would just need more variables. Look at football player stats I can’t tell you what makes that magic number but they seem to have a good system down for putting one player vs another.

I know that souds kinda stupic if US = 111 it has to beat Afganistan at 82.

I would think it would have to be more complex then that like when I worked in supply in the Army every thing had a “NSN” National Stock Number it broke down like this:

1005-01-231-1234

I made this one up b/c I couldn’t remember any without looking. 1005 = small arms less than 40mm, 01 = country code 00, 01 are made in US, 231 = transportation code it can be move by 1) land, a) truck, b) rail, 2) sea, 3) air. Lastly 1234 was the number used to ID that item so for sake of arument say its an M-16. Also NSN’s are not limited to numbers they also use letters.

you could use this system to put econonic, political probability, military size, and as many other variables as you want.

I think some mathmatician could devise a system that was 90% acurate lets say this would make it a probable answer not an absolute. When you read it, it would look like binary code.

The hardest think to input would be public opinion I think. When we went to Iraq the US was in the 80 percential about going look at in now.

What do you think about that?

• 2007 AAR League

Don´t like it,  But the best way to do this is to look at the conflict at hand and ask a couple of basic questions before starting to lob bombs;

1. Why does the “enemy” do as he does?
    2. Why doesn´t we like it?
    3. What does neighbering countries think about it?
    4. Who has public support? (in region/in world)
    5. What backlashes can be expected?
    6. What does the etnic mix look like?
    7. What does it cost, initialy, totaly?
    8. Mwhat are the most likley long term effects?
    9. What is our worst case scenario, if we fuck up?

etc etc etc.

• I can agree with that.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ll take the stealthy boat.

Ohio Class Trident equiped nuclear submarine.

Nice and stealthy.

Able to obliterate the entire world in 30 minutes or less…

• 2007 AAR League

how would you get to ride the bomb then before oblivion.

maybe better to take the slim pickens route.  just ride the bomb……whooo-hoooo  yeee-haaawwwwww

[attachment deleted by admin]

• I’ll stick with surface ships…

I can tread water a while… but beign crushed at 6,000 feet underwater is not my idea of fun

• 2007 AAR League

“24 empty tubes and now it is Miller time” is a much better way to celebrate a successful mission.

Besides, if a nuke submarine survives the first 72 hours of nuclear war, it will probably survive the next 72 years of reconstruction.

As for the risk of death in a submarine, it seems to be pretty small.  There are more airplanes sitting on the bottom of the ocean than submarines.

• @AgentOrange:

OK, here’s another question:  If someone said you must fight in a war, and offered you one of 3 fighting vehicles to use, which one would you choose - a tank, a fighter jet, or a small, armed, water-craft?

I chose the tank, if only because it seems really cool to be heavily protected, while being able to dish out quite a bit of damage.  :mrgreen:

If I had to, I would choose:

1.  The medical van.  Because nobody really wants to shoot the medical van.
    2.  The fighter jet.  Puke and pass out, but whee!
    3.  The tank.  Because if I get blown up, hopefully the munitions will ignite and my end will be quick.  Also, I can pretend I didn’t hear orders. “wuzzat, the tank was too loud . . . retreat, you say?”
    4.  The small, armed, water-craft.  Because of chemicals that can burn your skin in the water, and if you survive that, the fishies that like to eat you, and if you survive that, the dehydration and the sunburn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m