• 2007 AAR League

There is a seven day timer on the poll results so those of you who don’t want to give your current opponent too much info can vote now.

Obviously, I’m interested in hearing what you actually do and what you think you should be doing.  Given the amount of discussion about “bad dice” I’m starting to think there are a fair number of folks who don’t update their odds assessments after they commit to battle.

v/r

BD

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Personally, I wish you had a result of: When it becomes likely I’ll loose aircraft.  Because I’m willing to sacrifice tanks to kill the enemy, I’m a bit more squeemish when it looks probably I’ll loose fighters.

(ie: 1 Infantry, 1 Fighter vs 2 Infantry)

• Pretty much what Jen said, I dont like losing any planes, but I can live with some armor dropping off of the map.

Its not very often I find myself retreating.  Theres a few moments each game where I have to strafe, so that calls for a retreat, and sometimes with Germany it takes me one round of combat to weaken Moscow before the final push.

• @Jennifer:

Personally, I wish you had a result of: When it becomes likely I’ll loose aircraft.  Because I’m willing to sacrifice tanks to kill the enemy, I’m a bit more squeemish when it looks probably I’ll loose fighters.

1/3*1/3=1/9 i would risk it you have a 89% to have a favorablr outtcome.

• Well maybe she meant when theres a possibility to lose an aircraft for not much gain.

• 2007 AAR League

I’ll also retreat if I don’t have enough strength left to safely hold the new territory - if that was the initial purpose of the attack. If however as in Egypt or China my objective is to kill a Ftr, then I don’t care what I lose (except my own air units of course).

• i agree with froodster (shocking i know  :lol:)
    what is the point of winning the battle if you get wiped out in a counter and it costs you the war  :?
    i think the art of strafing (especially in europe) is often the deciding factor.  too bad you cant retreat non-amphib’d units when doing off shores :-(

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah, I think strafing (or knowing when to) is a critical part of risk management.

• 2007 AAR League

OK.

How many people keep track of Count, Punch and Skew as the rounds progress?

Played a game last night FTF (actually it is still unfinished) and toward the end I was actually redoing the C,P&S value calculations after each round of attacks.

Of course, that does not mean I was making good decisions.  :cry:

Axis (no Bid) vs Allies still going after 5 rounds.  Axis held a Minor Victory from Turn 1, but now has lost Karelia at Turn 5.  It may go down hill from here…

• Never retreat! Never surrender!

• @Sankt:

Never retreat! Never surrender!

the way you have me libetaing china for you mr. us i would think your motto was never enage never attack.  :lol:

• Mr. russia

• @cyan:

@Sankt:

Never retreat! Never surrender!

the way you have me libetaing china for you mr. us i would think your motto was never enage never attack.  :lol:

• Mr. russia

LOL, I know I wanted you to attack china but that was before Japan had moved. I would never have you go banzai with a pack of infantry for the sake of taking out 2 jap inf. And with the counter bound to come it’s not going to look so good for the allies.  :cry:

• '19 Moderator

I never go as far as doing calculations, I get enough of that at work.  But I do re-evaluate the attack every turn.  I weigh the cost vs. effect vs. expected outcomes.

• 2007 AAR League

What do you look at to measure cost, effect and expected outcome?

Count, Punch and Skew is the non-computer method I use to estimate those.

Then of course it all has to fit into the grand strategy that Pinky and I came up with…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@cyan:

@Jennifer:

1/3*1/3=1/9 i would risk it you have a 89% to have a favorablr outtcome.

Using statistics sure.  Using dice, not so sure.  Tell ya what.  I’m going to perform a surgery on you.  You have an 89% chance to live if we give the surgery.  You have 100% chance to live if we don’t give you the surgery.

Which do you choose?

Now, if you have 2 Infantry, 1 Fighter vs 2 Infantry, you have a 100% chance of that fighter surviving.  (No way 2 defenders can get 3 hits in one round.)

• '19 Moderator

I think each battle is different.  What does he have to counter with?  What is the land worth strategically (IPCs)? Tactically?  I may push the battle to it’s conclusion even though I am sure I will loose if the object is to simply cause damage.  Do I have an Ally that can follow up with reinforcements?

To many different scenarios to give a simple answer.

• 2007 AAR League

I retreat when it would be foolish not to.

Ah yes, so much wisdom I have…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m