• 2007 AAR League

I think using an Ebay-style auction for the bid would be much fairer (particularly for new players who don’t know what a standard bid is).

Thus you’d place a maximum bid, but your actual bid would be only one more than that of your opponent (or if you tie, then it would choose the bid winner randomly).

For instance, you bid 10, your opponent bids 5.  You should win with an effective bid of 6.

This could involve creating one more stage to the game - where you decide how to spend the bid.  Or you could submit a series of bids (for how you’d spend 4-10 IPCs for instance).  But I don’t think adding a stage on spending the bid would be much of a delay.

• 2007 AAR League

@akreider2:

For instance, you bid 10, your opponent bids 5.  You should win with an effective bid of 6.

Since low bid usually wins, shouldn’t your opponent win with a bid of 9 in this scenario?

HEY FROOD, wanna give this a shot?

• 2007 AAR League

That’s true.  Bidding is confusing.  I’m quite confused right now!

• Founder TripleA Admin

The problem is that nobody is consistent. Here are the two type of bids:

• Auction-style: highest bidder wins
    • (Govenment) Contract-style: lowest bidder wins

It doesn’t have to be a government contract but I think that is something that everydoy understands. In the AAR games in this forum we do contract-style bids.

I’m still trying to think of how to do bids in forum but it’s kinda tricky. (I’d rather not have a separate table in the DB to keep track of bids).

• 2007 AAR League

Hmmm - if people want that bid style, I guess I could make it available. I have just uploaded a new tool in preparation for the new logging feature of AACalc - it is essentially an enhanced version of my earlier bid page. But I’ll talk about it more at my AACalc topic.

• Woha, how’d I miss this?  Good one, akreider2.

Akreider1 would be so proud!  (snif)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m