Games other than A&A (Blasphemy, I know)

• What are some other good war board games out there besides A&A and Risk? Maybe something that’s shorter than A&A…it’s hard to set aside 5 hours for a boardgame. I’ve heard talk of that Civil War from Eagle Games, Samuri Swords, and a few other WWI and WWII games that I can’t remember titles of. Ouch, ended that in a preposition.

And Yanny, I suggest you move the General Discussion thread outside of the Axis and Allies Section and into the more general section at the top.

• Get Civil War by Eagle Games - thank me later 8)

BTW: Napoleon en Europe is also good if your more into that “European feel.”

• Can’t wait to gets my hands on Nepoleon in Europe.

Squad leader is a old but good game, up to a certain point anyway.
    Some of the rules get a little complicated.

I played a WW1 game once called “Jutalnd”.
    It didnt have a map though, you just set up anywhere you could find a flat surface.
    We push a friends couch aside and played on his entire living room floor.
    The units were about the size of A&A ship units, so there was alot of room for ship moment and formations.
    Epic ship combat, it was fun.
    Don’t know why we just played it once? :-?

• Panzer general is older but good for tactics with various units…

• “I played a WW1 game once called “Jutalnd”.
    It didnt have a map though, you just set up anywhere you could find a flat surface.
    We push a friends couch aside and played on his entire living room floor.
    The units were about the size of A&A ship units, so there was alot of room for ship moment and formations.
    Epic ship combat, it was fun”

Wow, that’s really something. :) I’ve been meaning to play a game where your entire family room is the game board (just not Campaign for North Africa :x). But it must be hard for the Germans to win the the face of the much larger and more powerful Royal Navy. Of course history proved us wrong in the real-life outcome of that battle.

• The British Navy really wasn’t that much bigger.

• “The British Navy really wasn’t that much bigger.”

In Naval terms, I would have to say that the Royal Navy was numerically superior. The British Grand Fleet consisted of roughly two sections each. One was the 5th Battle Squadron (new fast battleships) along with the Battle Cruiser fleet under Admiral Beatty. [Fifty-two ships] The second more powerful force was The Grand Fleet under Admiral Jellico. This was the most powerful naval force in the world; consisting of twenty four dreadnoughts plus supporting ships [99 ships in total]. Against this armada, the Germans pitted their 1st and 2nd Scouting Groups under Admiral Hipper [40 ships], and the High Seas Fleet under Admiral Scheer. These groups pretty much mirrored the British but were much smaller. The High Seas Fleet had only sixteen dreadnoughts and six pre-dreadnoughts, along with support ships [61 ships in total].

For a grand total, this places the British Grand Fleet at 151 (approximate) ships compared with the German’s 101 (approximate). That would mean that the size of the German Fleet was only 67% the size of the British Fleet – a BIG difference. Also many of the German supporting ships consisted of Torpedo Boats, while the British used mainly Destroyers, light cruisers, and armored cruisers for supporting ships. However, the main disadvantage of the Grand Royal Navy was that the ships’ armor was generally not as strong as that of the German ships. Another problem lay more with British powder , though could be loaded and fired faster, there was a likely chance they would blow up (causing a chain reaction in the ship) given a direct hit by German shells.

Though military wise, the Germans won, but the strategic victory goes to the British. The threat of the German High Seas Fleet was removed and most of the Grand Fleet remained intact. A potentially more significant result of Jutland was that the Germans increasingly concentrated their efforts on the submarine. The unrestricted submarine warfare was resumed shortly after Jutland, which led the United

• '19 Moderator

Man, I haven’t played Jutland in years I guess I will have to break it out now.

I have Samuri Swords, I think it’s a pretty fun game with 4 or 5 players it’s kind of like advanced Risk with a theme. Making and breaking alliances is the fun part.

• @dezrtfish:

Man, I haven’t played Jutland in years I guess I will have to break it out now.

I have Samuri Swords, I think it’s a pretty fun game with 4 or 5 players it’s kind of like advanced Risk with a theme. Making and breaking alliances is the fun part.

I had Samuri Swords back when it was called Shogun. Fun game, a little to much like risk for me though.

• You might consider trying G.E.V. or OGRE by Steve Jackson Games. That’s the first REAL wargame I ever played (after Risk). Its quick and fun, but reasonably complex enough to make it entertaining.

G.E.V is the souped up second edition of OGRE. It has more terrain and unit types to make the game more interesting. Both games are set in a fictional future. OGREs are massive tanks equal to an entire armor battalion. Very scary indeed.

• Samuri Swords?

Hmmm… sounds pretty good. Does Hasbro still sell it though? I do like that “Japanese Feel” to it.

If you want a really good game and you don’t have a whole lot of time, try your hand at Stratego. With advanced rules switched on, this game is a brilliant example of perfect play balance (both sides are equal, though I like the blue pieces :wink:), a deep metagme (and I mean DEEP), and a great mix of strategy (placement is always key). It’s capture the flag on the grandest of scales.

• '19 Moderator

Samuri Swords or Shogun is one of the game master series. If you look on the lower half of your original A&A box there should be a picture of it. I don’t think it is still in print so it may take some looking. I started looking for it when I was about 16 and a buddy of mine found it about 10 years later.

I’d say we useualy run a game in three hours. That is useualy why we play it, we dont have time for World at War. Also it is a good game to play less compeditively since the start up is like Risk with a lot of luck involved. I will say that like risk the more players you have the more fun it is.

• Ya back in the day Milton bradley had the a few war games.
    Conquest of the Empire, A&A, Shogun(Samurai Sword) and the classic Fortress America.

• “Samuri Swords or Shogun is one of the game master series. If you look on the lower half of your original A&A box there should be a picture of it. I don’t think it is still in print so it may take some looking. I started looking for it when I was about 16 and a buddy of mine found it about 10 years later.”

Yeah, that’s why I’ve always been intrested in it. But just one question. Does this game actually come with small, plastic katanas to play with? Tubular ! :D

“Conquest of the Empire, A&A, Shogun(Samurai Sword) and the classic Fortress America.”

Indeed, Fortress America is a classic. But I never heard much about Conquest of the Empire. Was it sort of like the ugly duckling of the bunch or something? :-?

• @TG:

“Samuri Swords or Shogun is one of the game master series. If you look on the lower half of your original A&A box there should be a picture of it. I don’t think it is still in print so it may take some looking. I started looking for it when I was about 16 and a buddy of mine found it about 10 years later.”

Yeah, that’s why I’ve always been intrested in it. But just one question. Does this game actually come with small, plastic katanas to play with? Tubular ! :D

“Conquest of the Empire, A&A, Shogun(Samurai Sword) and the classic Fortress America.”

Indeed, Fortress America is a classic. But I never heard much about Conquest of the Empire. Was it sort of like the ugly duckling of the bunch or something? :-?

Conquset of the Empire wasn’t very good.
    I played it back in 1986.
    The idea of the game was cool, but the combat was crap.
    Its combat was based on d6 and unit added one the the dice up to whatever.
    But, the dumb thing was, all you needed to hit a unit was 6.
    So, if you army was big enough, you didnt have to even round, just round after round of auto hits.
    It was like " k take a piece off. k you take a piece of, k now you take a piece off…"

• Hmmm… I guess my assumption was correct. But, no harm in asking, what time period was it set in, do you even know what it was about? I’m thinking the Roman or Greek Empire, though it could be set in the future. :-?

• @TG:

Hmmm… I guess my assumption was correct. But, no harm in asking, what time period was it set in, do you even know what it was about? I’m thinking the Roman or Greek Empire, though it could be set in the future. :-?

Ummm I have played it??

In was a Roman era type.

• '19 Moderator

@TG:

Yep there are five of them, about 8" long, and little syrofoam stands to set them on. The turn order in the game changes every round and the swords are numbered to show turn order. You draw them like drawing straws. Then you can have sword fights wile the other guys are doing thier moves.

• '19 Moderator

oops, :oops: double post

• @dezrtfish:

@TG:

Yep there are five of them, about 8" long, and little syrofoam stands to set them on. The turn order in the game changes every round and the swords are numbered to show turn order. You draw them like drawing straws. Then you can have sword fights wile the other guys are doing thier moves.

LOL

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m