Addition to "Happy Birthday America" Thread

• @HortenFlyingWing:

Well we do, but IMO Europeans feel more in the position that it is ok for them to do so. Even how you said if America won a hockey game, them saying the same thing as a Canadian would manage to provoke more bad feelings.

The hockey game was not brought up by me, and i can’t recall that i referred to it directly.

We can’t openly flaunt and be proud without criticism (look at your remarks about my nation’s birthday. Would i gvie you the same crap for re-unification day?) I’m not saying Europeans are worse people, but it is my honest opinion they feel obligated to heavily scrutinize America, more so than what is done to themselves/

My remark on your national haoliday was meant as a response to the “G8 - do we care?”-thread: Showing (a) ignorance about the G8 in not knowing what it is and (b) not caring about the world (as G8 is meant to be a summit of the 8 “most powerful” nations) is the kind of american “arrogance” that i dislike and disrespect. Even if you are not interested in what happens outside your town/city, there are a handful of things that IMHO everyone who has the possibility to know should know.

And in your original posting that i first responded to in this thread you had “Europeans proke bad feelings more so”, which for me is a “Europeans are worse”.

" For the second: how can you tell? Just as i can’t tell wether we (europeans) do that to americans, you can’t tell vice versa. "

How people act and say things to one another…watching and reading foreign news…it gives you a good picture.

Which is second hand information, the kind what i call prejudice. You get a picture, but you cannpt know for sure. What you see in the news mainly is the position of the government and not the ppl. It is a picture, a start, but you can’t tell for sure!
    If i judged the american ppl only after their government :)…… well, better not :)

“Still (and this is the thing that i don’t like), the reaction was not “ok, i will have a look” with maybe the addition “yes/no, you are right/wrong. But look at yourself, you have the same problem”. No, the reaction was” NO NO NO NO NO… YOU ARE WORSE!!! … YOU TREAT ME BAD!!! I AM THE WORLDS GREATEST, TREAT ME WELL""

Did i say “the worlds greatest”? NO, you added that…with your hatred damn it!

Ripping quotes out of their context is bad style!

"…. (well, more or less like that. Or at least, that is the way how i read it, which then is in the responsibility of the writer (it’s not important what you wanted to say, but what the other one understands!!)) "

Do you know when german reunification day is? ;)

• According to leftist Europeans (G8) what are the eight most powerful nations.

• According to leftist Europeans (G8) what are the eight most powerful nations?

• @yourbuttocks:

According to leftist Europeans (G8) what are the eight most powerful nations?

i know one that isn’t - Canada.
    We have less right to be at the table than Brazil, i’m guessing. Nice to have a powerful ally who wants more N.A. support.
    But then again - powerful may be a poor criteria for sitting at the G8. One might look at strength of social programs (education, health care, blah blah blah), economy, military etc. The U.N. has ranked Canada as one of the top nations in the world for the last 5 years, but we have no power outside of our boring (yet effective) diplomatic corps.

• What i don’t like about Canada, and about lots of country in europe; it’s the monarchy and even WORST; people that take it seriously. In Western Europe we still have a lot of monarchy… Danemark, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Monaco, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and the UK. I am even pretty sure i forget 1 or 2…

Note; i know this is off-topic

• @FinsterniS:

What i don’t like about Canada, and about lots of country in europe; it’s the monarchy and even WORST; people that take it seriously. In Western Europe we still have a lot of monarchy… Danemark, Sweden, Norway, Belgium, Spain, Monaco, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and the UK. I am even pretty sure i forget 1 or 2…

Note; i know this is off-topic

well, there are a few people who take it seriously, but the monarchy is more of a tradition or figurehead than an entity with any administrative authority. In theory the governor general (the Queen’s representative) may act as a “check” on the gov’t, in reality this is just a figurehead which goes around the country filling in where it is maybe not appropriate for the PM to go. Also the signs of the monarchy (Queen’s head on the money, and the last few vestiges of veneration we have for the monarchy) is more of a symbol of our ties with Britain and the rest of the commonwealth than any actual submission to a monarch. We are as democratic a country as just about any other (when Jean Cretien at long last receives his comeupanance - (sp)).
    I agree tho’. I think the monarchy is a terrible institution, as is anything that gives special rights and priveleges and powers simply because of blood, sexual orientation, race, etc.

• So Canada isn’t part of the G8? I find that pretty odd considering I take some likin’ toward that country even though I’m nationalist sectionalist. Anyways, California should have its own "representation"at G8. I hate those sophist diplomats in Washington trying to tell us what to do. :wink:

• YOu haven’t answered my question as to what nations are a part of it.

Liechtenstein like has a duke, right?

• @TG:

So Canada isn’t part of the G8? I find that pretty odd considering I take some likin’ toward that country even though I’m nationalist sectionalist. Anyways, California should have its own "representation"at G8. I hate those sophist diplomats in Washington trying to tell us what to do. :wink:

sorry, Canada IS a part of the G8 (we’ve hosted it a few times.
    As is the US, Russia, Japan, Germany, Britain, France and Italy.

sorry, i don’t know the part about Lichtenstein.

The Cystic Crypt. . .
    i was thinking of changing my name to “Crypt Abscess” - anyone else think that’s a good idea?

• Liechtenstein is an european country between Austria and Swistzerland, it it very small, with a poppulation of ~40 000. It should’net even exist; it is just a vertige…

• @Cystic:

sorry, Canada IS a part of the G8 (we’ve hosted it a few times.As is the US, Russia, Japan, Germany, Britain, France and Italy.
    The Cystic Crypt. . .
    i was thinking of changing my name to “Crypt Abscess” - anyone else think that’s a good idea?

Wait… didn’t you just say that Canada wasn’t part of G8?

@Cystic:

know one that isn’t - Canada.
    We have less right to be at the table than Brazil, i’m guessing. Nice to have a powerful ally who wants more N.A. support.

I kind of expected they [Canada] were, but I could be wrong on that.

BTW: I like good ol’ Cystic Crypt just the way it is.

• Don’t worry Fisternis, It will probably annexed by Switzerland soon.

And it does have a right to exist, they speak German and are Catholic :lol:

• @TG:

@Cystic:

sorry, Canada IS a part of the G8 (we’ve hosted it a few times.As is the US, Russia, Japan, Germany, Britain, France and Italy.
    The Cystic Crypt. . .

Wait… didn’t you just say that Canada wasn’t part of G8?

@Cystic:

know one that isn’t - Canada.

I kind of expected they [Canada] were, but I could be wrong on that.

BTW: I like good ol’ Cystic Crypt just the way it is.

no no,
    i just said we’re not one of the 8 most powerful countries, but thanks to the US we were included in the G7 a few years after its inception.
    glad you like the cystic, by the way.

• Okay, thanks for the clear up. You had me for a second there. :wink:

• Crypt, is right, China is more powerful probably than all the other countries except for the U.S. (russia is decline, France has less money and people, etc.)

• "The hockey game was not brought up by me, and i can’t recall that i referred to it directly. "

You replied to me talking of it by saying Americans manage to do the same thing as canada would while provoking more ill feelings…because “all americans are arrogant.” How about Germans then? you guys had 62 different anti-aircraft rocket programs in world war 2! You can generalize a race a people quite like that, but i must say America is more heavily scrutinized.

"My remark on your national haoliday was meant as a response to the “G8 - do we care?”-thread: Showing (a) ignorance about the G8 in not knowing what it is and (b) not caring about the world (as G8 is meant to be a summit of the 8 “most powerful” nations) is the kind of american “arrogance” that i dislike and disrespect. Even if you are not interested in what happens outside your town/city, there are a handful of things that IMHO everyone who has the possibility to know should know. "

Why should I care about the G8 summit if I am too busy checking out what is going on in the Middle East? You don’t care then! It isn’t arrogance, it is at times you don’t have the time to hear about certain things. I work 8 hours a day, and I’m lucky to check out my arabnews.com and other middle eastern websites! Is that arrogance? I heard of G8, i’m sure a lot of Americans did…does that mean we no exactly what happened during it? That isn’t arrogance, it is you too heavily scrutinizing Americans. Do you believe every friggin’ German knows are cares about the G8. Hell no.

"And in your original posting that i first responded to in this thread you had “Europeans proke bad feelings more so”, which for me is a “Europeans are worse”. "

Europeans aren’t worse, but IMO it is almost “socially acceptable” for them to scrutinize america more so because of the huge double standard that exists.

“Which is second hand information, the kind what i call prejudice.”

How about talking to you, other Germans, other Europeans for that matter? I call that first hand.

"You get a picture, but you cannpt know for sure. "

And you do…heh heh…

"What you see in the news mainly is the position of the government and not the ppl. It is a picture, a start, but you can’t tell for sure! "

Friggin independent news media source? How about any European newspaper online. Are they all state controlled? Even the BBC is controlled very little by the British government (even during World War II.) How can you get a clear picture of America? By talking to Americans, by seeing our media…that is about the best you can do without having a baseless prejudice.

“If i judged the american ppl only after their government … well, better not”

Your government isn’t corrupt? Ha!

"Do you know when german reunification day is? "

October 3. Bastille day is ten days after “the 4th of july” (what a hard one) and why does this really even matter?

When the hell is Flag Day in America? If you don’t know, you are arrogant and don’t respect world culture! That’s a load of crap and you know it.

• I miss May Day…

• @TG:

I miss May Day…

we still get Victoria Day off :)
    nice having a long weekend in the end of May . . .

• @HortenFlyingWing:

You replied to me talking of it by saying Americans manage to do the same thing as canada would while provoking more ill feelings…because “all americans are arrogant.” How about Germans then? you guys had 62 different anti-aircraft rocket programs in world war 2! You can generalize a race a people quite like that, but i must say America is more heavily scrutinized.

i can’t see how 62 AA-rocket programs are a sign for arrogance, i think it’s more a sign for geing “under the pump”.

Why should I care about the G8 summit if I am too busy checking out what is going on in the Middle East? You don’t care then! It isn’t arrogance, it is at times you don’t have the time to hear about certain things. I work 8 hours a day, and I’m lucky to check out my arabnews.com and other middle eastern websites! Is that arrogance? I heard of G8, i’m sure a lot of Americans did…does that mean we no exactly what happened during it? That isn’t arrogance, it is you too heavily scrutinizing Americans. Do you believe every friggin’ German knows are cares about the G8. Hell no.

Well, i think all “educated” germans know and more or less care about the G8. Out of our history we know / have learnt that you can’t try to live isolated in this world. Therefore we care for what is happening at those summits. The positions on the G8 may be different, but still they care (positively or negatively).

"You get a picture, but you cannpt know for sure. "

And you do…heh heh…

I hoped i expressed that clear enough by now:
    I know wether person A or person B tends to insult me more than the other though saying the same thing, only with different words.
    I DO NOT know wether something that person A says is more insulting to me or person B.

understandable? That is my whole point, when saying the “US americans have a talent for provoking ill feelings in me”. I can’t tell how big my talent or the german talent is. It was extremely high in the last century though.

Friggin independent news media source? How about any European newspaper online. Are they all state controlled? Even the BBC is controlled very little by the British government (even during World War II.) How can you get a clear picture of America? By talking to Americans, by seeing our media…that is about the best you can do without having a baseless prejudice.

Wasn’t it you who said you shouldn’t trust european media, as they are all leftist and whatever?

“If i judged the american ppl only after their government …… well, better not”

Your government isn’t corrupt? Ha!

Does it say “corruption” anywhere? …. Don’t see it. It’s just that your president, who was voted by a minority into his office, does not help to promote a picture of the US as “caring”, “thinking” or “cooperating”. It’s saber-rattling and a lot more that i would then have to think of the US americans.

"Do you know when german reunification day is? "
    October 3. Bastille day is ten days after “the 4th of july” (what a hard one) and why does this really even matter?

When the hell is Flag Day in America? If you don’t know, you are arrogant and don’t respect world culture! That’s a load of crap and you know it.

Flag day is:
    June 14th…. 1885 invented… by a teacher… official since 1916.
    This is not your major national holiday, so i had to look that one up.

(from the same web-page:
    “Many visitors of this web site write to me and express dismay at the general decline of National pride and patriotism among Americans, especially young Americans.” @ http://www.usflag.org/toc.html
    That is quite dangerous. There are only a few countries that are as patriotic and have such a national pride, that being concerned over a decline there is frightening! Not to mention to write national with a capital N)

Shall i now ask you about all the germans “second class public holidays”?
    Or even better: where do the colours in our flag come from:) ?

• “we still get Victoria Day off
    nice having a long weekend in the end of May . . .”
    Lucky Canadians! Well I hope you get eating by a polar bear while you’re out getting drunk.

“you guys had 62 different anti-aircraft rocket programs in world war 2!"

Ditto what F_alk said. I’m not exactly sure how this constitutes German or European arrogance.

“I heard of G8, i’m sure a lot of Americans did…does that mean we no exactly what happened during it?”

Yeah, most of the “educated” Americans I know have at least some vague idea what G8 is, which mostly due to the protestors on the media.

“Does it say “corruption” anywhere? … Don’t see it. It’s just that your president, who was voted by a minority into his office, does not help to promote a picture of the US as “caring”, “thinking” or “cooperating”. It’s saber-rattling and a lot more that i would then have to think of the US americans.”

Bush a saber rattler? Sorry, but a “dumb” (as the Democrats would say :P ) character like Bush doesn’t exactly fit the description of a saber rattler (except for the events after 9/11). But just imagine if Gore had been elected! I would’ve scott moved to Mexico.

“Many visitors of this web site write to me and express dismay at the general decline of National pride and patriotism among Americans, especially young Americans.”

This is true. I remember back in the day when young Americans would celebrate the 4th like it was the Boston Tea Party all over again. But I do say our Last July 4 was better than most (could it be “false” patriots at work? Hmmmm…. :roll: )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m