• So i contacted my credit card company to cancel my card - i had a number of beefs (dissatisfaction with their reward program, irritation with their phone-routing, being called for insurance offers despite asking to not be contacted for this, etc.).
    Just as i’m about to pay my balance, she offers me either:
    $200 or 10 000 aeroplan points if i stay on until February with a promise that no one will call me again unless it is an emergency.
    I took the money . . . for now . . . (it’ll save me contacting my phone companies etc. to change my card).
    Anyway, does anyone else have a story like this?  I’d like to know how i can get more free stuff like money . . . .

• So i was paying $30/month for local phone service + call display, and another $15/month for unlimited long distance 24/7.  As i don’t call very often (lately) long distance, i was looking to kill the long distance, and considering killing the call display (i’m not at home very much.
    Then they inform me that “for $35/month you get local+4 calling features, and for another $5 you get the unlimited long distance” - effectively giving me more features for $5/month less.  I’m feeling like a bit of a sucker as i bit on it, and i really don’t need all that (i probably could just go back down to my $24/month local service . . . ).
    Still, i decreased my bill by $5/month . . . .

• @cystic:

So i contacted my credit card company to cancel my card - i had a number of beefs (dissatisfaction with their reward program, irritation with their phone-routing, being called for insurance offers despite asking to not be contacted for this, etc.).

ha-ha your canadian get it.  :lol:

• i’m mnot sure if you can do thios in canada but or not but oyu should look at this Huge disconts.http://www3.letstalk.com/product/findProducts.htm?pgId=100&tNav=1 i prefer cell phones and then only a home phone for local. try to get all your family on the same company(free to call from the same carrier for most compainies)

• I use teh cable company trifecta (phone, net, cable).  Was paying $180 per month.

Heard the ads on the radio for “new” customers to get deep discounts ($120 per month for a year).  Called to get it and mentioned the phone company DSL offer I had gotten in the mail for $119 service (satelite, DSL, phone).  I am currently paying the promo rate for my cable package :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

My credit card company charged me $15/month ($10,000 limit with no overage fees) and I called to cancel.  I don’t make a lot of corporate purchases anymore, having basically sold off the majority of my company to CompUSA and letting their staff handle the headaches of deliverable logistics while I get the more fun aspects of managing the over all projects.  The credit card company actually told me that they’d wave the fees if I kept their card!  (American Express, Small Business Platinum.)

• I’m not sure on the free stuff…but I guess the whole “squeaky wheel gets the oil” bit works here.

I know customer service is really not at all what it should be, and that many services and utilities will respond to you more whenever you try to cancel.  In fact, I think I had posted a listing of companies and how to get in touch with a real person ASAP to voice your concerns.  Many of the companies had you talking to the same people, except that people who pressed 9 to cancel instead of 1 to talk to customer service got priority.  Then they did anything to keep you on.

CC, I think the credit card company was trying to get you to stay on through the holidays, hoping to squeeze a bit more out of you before you moved on.  Maybe something else…

• Nice post.
    W.r.t. staying on through the holidays - you might be right, but i told them i was using another bank’s card . . . we’ll see.  In the mean time, i don’t have to bother changing all of the stuff i had directly billed to my first credit card, and i got $200 (plus the reward airmiles i accumulate), so that’s nice.

Yesterday i was at Starbuck’s where i asked for a venti hot chocolate (yes - i’m a doctor who does not drink coffee).  She told me that would be $3.73.
    me:“what?  I have to give you money for this”
    her: “yup i’m afraid so”
    me (as i’m handing her $4.00, with a smile) “where’s your Christmas spirit?”
    her: “you talked me into it - no charge”

to reward her i bought a $10.00 gift card which i needed to buy for a Christmas exchange anyway . . . :D

:)  My motto is: “Why not ask?  Worst that happens is they say no.  If they say no, my life is not destroyed…but if they say yes…hmmm…drool…” hehe

• @cystic:

Yesterday i was at Starbuck’s where i asked for a venti hot chocolate (yes - i’m a doctor who does not drink coffee).

You…do coffee…enemas, then?  :evil:

Why wouldn’t you be charged for a hot chocolate?  I guess the point is you got it for free.

Hot Chocolate:

10 ounces Dark Chocolate
    1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk

Melt the two together, add boiling water as needed until right consistency

Whip up some heavy cream to dollop on the top with either a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg for flair.

Why in the world would you get Hot Cocoa from Starbucks???  CC, you need a woman if you’re so desperate as to freequent that haven of bourgousie oppression and cow spit. :)

• '19 Moderator

@Jennifer:

Why in the world would you get Hot Cocoa from Starbucks???Â

I can’t speak for CC, but I go for the Carmel Machiatio w/ 3 extra shots (5 total). Boing  :-o GOOD MORNING!

• I very rarely go to Starbucks.  All the required things to make your regular hot coffee or a cold smoothie is at the supermarket.  Anything Starbucks can make, I make them like 100 times better AND at the comfort of my house.  :wink:

Doesnt mean I don’t like to go there.  I do get lazy sometimes.  :lol:

• @Jennifer:

Hot Chocolate:

10 ounces Dark Chocolate
    1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk

Melt the two together, add boiling water as needed until right consistency

Whip up some heavy cream to dollop on the top with either a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg for flair.

Why in the world would you get Hot Cocoa from Starbucks???  CC, you need a woman if you’re so desperate as to freequent that haven of bourgousie oppression and cow spit. :)

i’m lazy, i have no family, and i have an income that surpasses my needs.  If i want some (free) hot chocolate that someone wants to make for me, then i’ll happily take it.
    Now look at it from another perspective.  Let’s say that it takes me about 15 minutes to purchase the needed ingredients and make the hot chocolate (not counting driving to the store etc. as we can say i’m picking them up while i’m shopping).  Let’s also say that i make around $100/hour during the day, and $170/hour after midnight.  For <$4.00, i can do something that would normally cost the equivalent of $25.00 - give-or-take in time.  Depending on your perspective, one might argue that i am saving $21 by asking for a hot chocolate when i’m buying a (needed) gift card from there . . . .

• 2007 AAR League

And, you’re creating jobs!

Back on credit cards, I’m pretty happy with mine. There’s no annual fee, and I get about 1% cash back on all my purchases, and I think the percentage goes up if I spend more than a certain amount. Not points or anything, cash. Yesterday I saw my bill and saw that it had been discounted by $133 for all the money I’ve spent on it. I’m going to look into putting my mortgage on the card…

The card is a CIBC VISA Dividend card. And it also includes perks like replacement and travel insurance. Did I mention it has no fees?

• cc, i hope you tipped well for your cocoa and merry christmas (i hope things are slow for you)

• @critmonster:

cc, i hope you tipped well for your cocoa and merry christmas (i hope things are slow for you)

Thanks, but sadly no . . . .  I have more on my plate for the three weeks before New Years than i need (average week around 60-70 hours).  Also the ERs are just as busy as ever before.  During the summer it was wasp bites, winter - ankle sprains on the ice.  Plus the never ending attack of the dizzy/weak/unwell little old lady (the ER version of LOL).

• merry CHRISTmas anyway and don’t forget to tip your barrista 8-)

Dunno what people normally tip.  I heard the average tip in the United States for restaraunt service is 8-12% and for delivery is less then 1%.  My personal philosiphy is $5 per hour for restaraunt service -$1 for each time my coffee cup goes dry. (That’s been $20 tips for a cup of coffee before.)  And for delivery I try to tip the same as the delivery charge (about $3 or 15%.)

As for tip jars and Starbucks/Caribou Coffee are concerned, I’m not paying them to do their jobs.  Next you’ll see tip jars at friggin McDonald’s!

What’s other people’s tips?

• At Starschumcks?  zero.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m