Where do we post development stuff?

• 2007 AAR League

To the mods:

Where do we post development related stuff?

• Tonez and I are posting TripleA Dev stuff in a thread in Find Player and Game Discussion.
    • Frood is posting Frood.net dev stuff in Revised.

There really doesn’t seem to be a good choice of Forums for us to post this stuff in.  Thoughts?

• What is development stuff? :?

if its related to games your playing it goes in the games forum.

• 2007 AAR League

Tonez is modifying the TripleA game engine (you can use it to play Classic, Revised, Pacific, Europe and maybe more).

Froodster is developing his dicey site www.frood.net/aacalc you can use it to roll for Classic, Revised, LHTR, Europe PBEM games.

Just 2 examples.  Where does discussion go

• Since TripleA is specific for online play, the play by forum discussion area is appropriate.

Since Frood is usable for both online and IRL play, and since it started as a Revised dicey, Revised is fine for discussion, but could also be in play by forum discussion area.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Hey everybody, check out my thread in AAR. I’m working on an XML specification to make things interoperable. I too would eventually like to create a client but I don’t want it to be yet another client that nobody uses. So I figure that I would start with and XML spec so that it wouldn’t matter which client you used as long as it supposrts the spec.

• 2007 AAR League

Hey djensen,
    Before you endeavor to create Yet Another Data Format, you should check out the underbelly of TripleA.  It uses xml files already to specify map layouts and starting unit locations for all games (Classic, AAR, pacific, etc) in a very generic way.
    I can post a sample AAR R1 xml file if you want so you can see what the format is like.  Currently, savegame files are saved as a gzipped serialized java object, but there is discussion on the dev list to also support the xml format for savegame files in TripleA (probably with some form of digital signature).
    I’m also interested in hearing your plans for this data format.  Lots of forum users currently use ABattleMap, for instance.  Are you thinking of replacing that tool with a more modern, open version?  As far as I can tell ABattleMap is closed source and will probably never be interoperable with anything.

• I also have to say that perhaps another MAJOR topic thread be created…

An “online game platform development and information” thread that is “top level” on the boards, just like miniatures, PBF, other forums, axis and allies.
    Sub topics on that forum could be:
    “Formats and Patches”:  a place to post links to ABattlemap, MapView, patches for them, etc.
    “Platform Development” where your current work on creating a new online platform could be devloped

Other sub topics as needed.

Just a thought…

• Founder TripleA Admin

@tonez:

Hey djensen,
    Before you endeavor to create Yet Another Data Format, you should check out the underbelly of TripleA.  It uses xml files already to specify map layouts and starting unit locations for all games (Classic, AAR, pacific, etc) in a very generic way.
    I can post a sample AAR R1 xml file if you want so you can see what the format is like.  Currently, savegame files are saved as a gzipped serialized java object, but there is discussion on the dev list to also support the xml format for savegame files in TripleA (probably with some form of digital signature).
    I’m also interested in hearing your plans for this data format.  Lots of forum users currently use ABattleMap, for instance.  Are you thinking of replacing that tool with a more modern, open version?  As far as I can tell ABattleMap is closed source and will probably never be interoperable with anything.

I responded in the XML forum. The idea is to first create the format and then write a cool app to use it. I was thinking of using SVG w/Javascript.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@ncscswitch:

I also have to say that perhaps another MAJOR topic thread be created…

An “online game platform development and information” thread that is “top level” on the boards, just like miniatures, PBF, other forums, axis and allies.
    Sub topics on that forum could be:
    “Formats and Patches”:  a place to post links to ABattlemap, MapView, patches for them, etc.
    “Platform Development” where your current work on creating a new online platform could be devloped

Other sub topics as needed.

Just a thought…

I’ll probably create another forum but I’m not sure if I need an entire category.

• 2007 AAR League

How about a category for “Online A&A utilities” which could include this stuff plus tips on how to use ABattleMap, DAAK, etc. I’d be willing to moderate it if that’s a concern.

People may be more likely to find the information they’re looking for  - I think people may shy away from thread called “Software Development”.

• 2007 AAR League

Frood, I really like this idea.  Definitely more intuitive than “Software Development”, so we should get more hits in a forum like this.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m