• @ncscswitch:

Agnostics (in practice) believe that no single religion has a monopoly on Truth, thus they follow no organized religion.  Many however are still deeply spiritual and the majority have a strong belief in the Divine.

Atheists believe that NO GOD EXISTS, PERIOD.

Hell of a difference between the two.

Treat others as you would be treated (that is common to most religions isn’t it?) Be nice. Be fair. Act with integrity and honor.

I need to learn this from a god or God? If it is from a god, I need to squirm in church on Sunday’s or commune with the Goddess or slaughter some bulls or a lamb or a few infidels?

I would agree with your assesment Switch. No religion has a monopoly on truth. That of course begs the question, “What is the truth?”

• Frimmel, being totally honest, I think the only “truth” that REALLY matters is your first sentence above.

• @ncscswitch:

Jen, your last post shows just HOW LITTLE you know of other religions.

You can’t lump Agnostic and Atheist together.  They are actually almost diametrically opposed.

And you OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO CLUE about Paganism.

The comparison of Buddhism and Scientology is quite humorous, though.

@cyan:

@ncscswitch:

Agnostics (in practice) believe that no single religion has a monopoly on Truth, thus they follow no organized relig
    ion.  Many however are still deeply spiritual and the majority have a strong belief in the Divine.

that sounds more like Bhai(spelling)

Could be Baha’i faith, or Unitarian Universalism…

• Back on track…

Another holiday song for everyone…

http://www.freewebs.com/comewasteyourtime/hanukkahheyya.htm

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

Agnostics (in practice) believe that no single religion has a monopoly on Truth, thus they follow no organized religion.  Many however are still deeply spiritual and the majority have a strong belief in the Divine.

Atheists believe that NO GOD EXISTS, PERIOD.

Hell of a difference between the two.

My brother’s an agnostic.  They believe that there may be a God or many gods.  They don’t care.  They do NOT believe that there is no single monopoly on the Truth.  They DON’T CARE.

Athiests believe that they are gods in that they are the pinnacle of life as we know it.  No supreme beings exist.

recap:

Agnostic: There are supreme beings, they just don’t care about them.
    Athiests: There are no supreme beings.

Net effect: Neither care about surpreme beings.  Thus they can be lumped together just as you lump Luthrens, Mormons, Protestants, Christians and Catholics together.

@Jermofoot:

The comparison of Buddhism and Scientology is quite humorous, though.

Buddism is Scientology 1.0.  Scientologists believe that Budda was just a previous incarnation of L. Ron Hubbard.  However, at the time Hubbard created Buddism, he did not have the technology available to get it 100% right.  Thus, when he was alive and the technology was available, he fixed the Buddist religion and created Buddism 2.0, also known as Scientology.

Of course, if people like Switch want to lump Luthrens, Protestants, etc together, why can we not lump all religions that believe in reincarnation, or worship of ancestral spirits, or worship the earth, or worship nothing together?

The whole point is a demonstration on the lack of knowledge about religion evidenced in the postings of our esteemed moderator.  He appears to have no clue about any religion but his own, and I’d argue that he’s a little off base on that too when he takes his domestic, local flavor of it and applies it to the global community.

• Jen,

Do you now see the logical fallacy of equating lumping all the people that follow the same book into one category and everyone who does not use that book into one other groups that you try to claim is a homegenous group?

I lump Baptists and Catholics and Lutherans together because they all use the same 2 texts and they all consider them the one true and only words of God.  Thus they are simply different colors on the walls of the same room.  That cannot be said for, using your example, every religion that believes in reincarnation.

Do you see the fallacy of lumping together two dynamically divergent groups together merely because they use the same book???  Obviously not, because you keep doing it.  At least when I lumped them together it was based on their religious viewpoints (or lack there of).

Or do you want to lump together Jews and Christians and Catholics because they all use the Tora?  It’s the same books, after all.  The Book of Genesis, The Book of Exodus, the Book of Ezekial, etc.

Or maybe all Americans are the same, regardless of their political stances because they all use the same document, the US Constitution.  Right?

• 2007 AAR League

Happy holidays!

• happy Saturnalia!

Long live the empire!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m