• 2007 AAR League

froodster and ncscswitch had some good suggestions and discussion after playing TripleA vs. game board, here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9163.msg178614#msg178614

• 2007 AAR League

I’d really like to improve my triplea dicey for better input. However, all I know is how many dice are rolled - I don’t know how to read what the units are etc. If I knew that, I could build a better dicey.

I notice the clayton.ca dicey includes combat units - what variable is that passed in? What’s the API (is that what I’m talking about?)

I’m willing to work on a better on and then share it with clayton.ca. Then for reliability if one site was down users could use the same one on another site.

Other than that, sounds like you’ve drawn all the lessons learned in my game against switch.

I will report that I did often get error windows popping when Edit mode was active and AA guns were being handled. It may also have been during sub fire and coastal bombardment. Sorry I can’t be more specific. However I just had to click X on the window and the program continued as normal.

• @tonez:

froodster and ncscswitch had some good suggestions and discussion after playing TripleA vs. game board, here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9163.msg178614#msg178614

I have also noticed that if the dicey bails during the roll, can’t find the server, etc, it is completely dumping back to windows. (Even with a valid exit/roll again dialog box). I’m seeing this in v9.02

…one of these attempts I’m going to remember to save before rolling  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

There should be an autosave.tsvg file if it bails.  You should be able to load that autosave game file up and find yourself exactly where you left off.

I wonder why it’s bailing…

• @rjclayton:

There should be an autosave.tsvg file if it bails.  You should be able to load that autosave game file up and find yourself exactly where you left off.

I wonder why it’s bailing…

Guess that AI ain’t so dumb after all.

• Founder TripleA Admin

This might already be in this thread but I got lazy … is it possible to use the in house dice roller with TripleA?

• 2007 AAR League

Yes, with the new Edit mode features that Tonez is working on. I used this in my game against Switch - I rolled the dice with the in-house roller, then entered casualties manually in TripleA rather than having TripleA roll dice. It was pretty easy actually. It’s a much better tool for PBF with any dicey than either BattleMap or MapView IMO. It’s almost there. I predict that in a year it will be the only tool being used on this board.

• 2007 AAR League

Here are some comments from Sub Dude and Polywog on using TripleA in their recent game:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=8992.msg184778#msg184778

• Could someone send me the link to the new and improved version of TripleA?  Just shoot me a PM or an e-mail with the link please…

Based on how much I liked the images from the game i played with Dan, I think I might be willing to experiment with the program this weekend and see if I can get used to using it for online gaming (as an ADDITION to my game board, not a replacement…)  :mrgreen:

• I played my first on-line game with both my board and TripleA… Somehow, a stack of 5 red chips under a plastic infantry is more sobering than a number next to an icon!

• 2007 AAR League

@ncscswitch:

Could someone send me the link to the new and improved version of TripleA?  Just shoot me a PM or an e-mail with the link please…

Based on how much I liked the images from the game i played with Dan, I think I might be willing to experiment with the program this weekend and see if I can get used to using it for online gaming (as an ADDITION to my game board, not a replacement…)  :mrgreen:

I’ve e-mailed you the necessary Jar file, but you have to download TripleA v. 0.8.2.2 and swap the file I sent you for the one in the “bin” folder.

Also, you have to have Java 1.5 installed.

Once tripleA is running, select “Load New Game” and choose the version you want to play (revised, classic, etc), start a PBEM game, and then enter the A&A.org topic # (4 digits) that your game is under and your A&A.org login info.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Okay, I just tried my first turn and it went seemlessly.

However, here is what I would like to see…

• Post turn summary through the end of combat moves. You finish combat moves and then you post them before rolling the attacks.
    • Subsequently post only combat through collecting income at the end of the turn.
    • I’d like to see tighter integration with the in house dice roller. As the dice roller works now it probably will not be feasible and so I’m will to do some work to write a dice roller that will both work with TripleA and also post each round to the forums (as a side-effect).
  • 2007 AAR League

Kewl 'bout the dice roller.

Tonez has the move posting modifications on his to-do list, but no timeline has been set for implementation (what can I say the weather’s turning nice and the babes in Ottawa are coming out to play!)

For now, you can manually post the pre-combat turn summary by opening the game history and right-clicking on the purchase units step for the current turn.

• 2007 AAR League

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9629.msg198153#msg198153

A few more comments and suggestions from djensen - decrease the screen size etc.

• Hey, I had a question for DJensen, and he suggested I post my question here.

Dear Mr. J,

Since you seem to be the expert around here on using TripA, I was hoping you might be able to help me with a concern/question I have about it.  I’ll attempt to be as concise as possible with my question, because whenever I attempt to frame it, it doesn’t sound the way I want it to.

When using Triple A, is it possible to use it while playing someone else who doesn’t use it?  What I mean is, in my current game with AJGundam, he’s using Battlemap while I’m using my gameboard.  I was wanting to give Triple A a shot, but he said he didn’t know how to use it, so I’m not.  But is it possible for just me to use it, moving the pieces around, while he uses something else?  Or will it not work because of the in-system dicey it uses?  Because what I really want to do is follow the game using Triple A without the dice interfering.

I hope I was clear.  I thank you for your time.

GD Fox.

• 2007 AAR League

Fox,

Yes you can use it if your opponent doesn’t.  Your opponent will be responsible for updating your moves on their map, and you’ll be responsible for updating their moves on TripleA.  For your opponents combat resolution in TripleA, you will go to EDIT mode and edit in your opponents dice rolls.

To see it in action, check out this thread between Frood and NCSCSwitch.  Frood was using TripleA and Switch was using a physical board:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=9466.0

• 2007 AAR League

@General_D.Fox:

Hey, I had a question for DJensen, and he suggested I post my question here.

Dear Mr. J,

Since you seem to be the expert around here on using TripA, I was hoping you might be able to help me with a concern/question I have about it.  I’ll attempt to be as concise as possible with my question, because whenever I attempt to frame it, it doesn’t sound the way I want it to.

When using Triple A, is it possible to use it while playing someone else who doesn’t use it?  What I mean is, in my current game with AJGundam, he’s using Battlemap while I’m using my gameboard.  I was wanting to give Triple A a shot, but he said he didn’t know how to use it, so I’m not.  But is it possible for just me to use it, moving the pieces around, while he uses something else?  Or will it not work because of the in-system dicey it uses?  Because what I really want to do is follow the game using Triple A without the dice interfering.

I hope I was clear.  I thank you for your time.

GD Fox.

I’ll answer this one - the answer is Yes - I played ncscswitch twice, him using a board and me using triplea. The catch is that you have to download the patched version of triplea v. 0.8.2.2. It has an “edit” mode that lets you enter casualties manually rather than roll dice - so you just have to enter all your opponents moves for them into triplea.

You can download the version at http://frood.net/aacalc/maps/, look under TripleA

• 2007 AAR League

Darth’s comments on TripleA from another Thread

@DarthMaximus:

Well, I have to admit TripleA is pretty cool.  :-D
    I can bang out turns in about 10 min or less.
    I’m still getting used to a few things but it is really easy to use.

• I’m still having trouble with this.  I want to catch up on the game already in progress and update the Triple A map, but I don’t know how to do so without the dice interfering and changing what is where.  Any suggestions?

• 2007 AAR League

Yes.  Follow these steps:

• Purchase units as normal
    • Perform Combat Moves as normal
    • HERE IS THE TRICK: Before Clicking on a combat, go to Game -> Edit Mode.  Now click on all your combats 1 at a time.  The dice will not come up, instead it will just prompt you for how many defenders die and how many attackers die.  In this way you can manipulate the combat to produce the desired results.
    • Before performing non-combat as normal, go to Game -> Edit Mode to turn off edit mode after combat is complete.
    • Perform non-combat as normal
    • Mobilize units as normal

That should do it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m