• I have ran thru 2 full games of AAE and it looks to me that Germany is unstoppable if it launches a determined Operation Barbarossa.  The first time it was hugely successful due to a tactical error on the part of Russia (Russia counter-attacked Germany as Germany was pushing toward Moscow instead of consolidating her forces and retreating). The second game came down to Russia standing with only 3 infantry left on all the board.  Had Germany used his fighter(s) for the assault he would have been successful.  America and Britain supplied Russia with a total of four fighters, destroyed the German navy by the end of turn two, and pulled the trigger on D-Day on the fourth turn.  Germany defended himself with ease and America and Britain did not take Berlin until turn seven. The first battle between German and Russian forces took place on turn five when the Germans attacked Belorussia.  The only critique I could see was that the Russian player could have retreated one more time with all his forces back to Moscow. This would have given him the benefit of an additional 15 infantry (8 were there from the last troop placement and the retreat to Moscow would have prolonged the assault by one round which would have allow Russia to place an additional 7)  But the delay would have given the Germans time to send up additional infantry and fighters.  As it was Germany attacked Belorussia with 51 infantry, 17 artillery, and 20 tanks.  Russia defended with 72 infantry, 7 artillery, 5 tanks, and 5 fighters.  That battle resulted in a victory for the German forces with 12 tanks remaining. The next turn saw Germany attacking Moscow with those 12 tanks against a defending force of 15 infantry.  The rolls came out in favor of Russia and Moscow stood, barely, with 3 infantry remaining.  In retrospect I believe that Germany left too much in Germany proper.  There was 25+ infantry and 6 fighters and a bomber.  Had Germany not forgotten to use the bomber in the assault on Belorussia things would have turned out differently.  Had Germany sent over the fighters or just 5 more infantry then the attack on Belorussia would have been a greater German victory that would have meant that more forces would have been left for the attack on Moscow.

My point is that if Germany amasses his forces and launches Operation Barbarossa then he looks to be unstoppable. I do not know what else the allies can do other than to hope for good dice rolls.

• not really.  Operation Barbarossa requires not focusing on any other front.  its been awhile since i played AAE (i started playing AAE then switched to normal AA), but i remember that if russia uses a stack defense strategy on Belorussia, he can hold the line long enough for the allies to amass a successful stranglehold attack.  The Allies have alot more resources than the germans do, and germany has to either take russia by storm or lose.  Russia can pretty much hold the line by using a stack.  that was my experience playing it.

• Perhaps you did not read my entire post. I know it was dry but it contained the information that would have shown the stack procedure was used. Russia had gathered all of its forces that were available at the start of the game and purchased infantry every turn.  Russia consolidated all of its forces in Belorussia prior to a German attack.  Russia was at its strongest when the Germans attacked without all its forces, forces that would have ensured victory. The stack does not work with a committed Operation Barbarossa.  Are there any tactics that can be employed in either stopping a German assault or conquering Berlin in time?  Please also note that Russia had 5 fighters courtesy, in part, of America.

• Are there any tactics that can be employed in either stopping a German assault or conquering Berlin in time?

Use an Allied bid.  Lower number plays Allies and gets to place units on the board at the start of the game equal to the bid number.  A bid of 15 would get you 5 extra infantry in Russia and likely prevents a Russian collapse.

SS

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m