• So I am usually playing 5 man games and our games are generally pretty even between axis and allied wins without using any bid.  So we have never used a bid.  I think it might be a bit easier to organize the allied attack when you are in control of all 3 sides.

Anyways, we were thinking of giving a bid of say 10 or 12 to both the axis and the allies.  Just to add some variety to the opening strategy and change things up a bit.  The assumption is that it would use normal bidding rules and the allies would place their bid first.  So if you were allies in this situation where would place a bid of 10?  Of 12?  And do you think the game would still be even, or would something like this just wreck the game?  (bearing in mind that results for us are generally balanced with no bid)

• 2007 AAR League

is it a blind bid? do you know what the axis will do?
    Beefing up IND or EGY might be nice. Also a couple russian tanks would really give them a lot of options to put the hurt on GER. Can try the BEL, WRU, UKR first turn invasion, with good change of success. Maybe even mess with Nor, saving your tanks from retaliation

• 10-12 bid?

Oh my, that opens up some Axis options…

• An extra SUB in SZ8 would be a great way to mess with the UK
    • 2 INF, 1 ART in Libya… Germany rampages through Africa and has VERY nice income for several turns.
    • Extra INF in Ukraine/West Russia (maybe even Belo) to make the Russians pay more dearly for their R1 attacks
    • 2nd TRN in SZ60 to start, allows Japan to BLAST through any Russian Bury stack on J1 and have an open run to Moscow
      *  INF/ART added to FIC to withstand a UK attack and/or take India on J1
    • SUB in SZ60 to increase the odds at Pearl
      *  DST in SZ59 to preserve that TRN off Kwang from UK attack
      *  TRN in SZ5.  Operation Sea Lion anyone?

This is a minor variant of a Classic option that I played back in college (since it only allows up to 4 units built)…
    WORLD restricted.  EVERY nation got to do a build, NON-Combat mvoement, and placement before anyone was allowed to attack…

• Like I said, both sides would get a bid and the allies would have to place first.  Then the axis would place knowing what the allies did.

• 2007 AAR League

An interesting concept, I wouldn’t mind giving it a try if anyone is interested.

• Allies -

fighter on AC in pearl
    extra tranny for UK - where ever

Axis -

I like Lybia idea - stock it
    Tranny for Med fleet
    3 art for Norway - they’ll come out firing 6 - twos plus whatever planes you throw for support
    4 Inf for Ukraine - a strong counter attack on west russian stack

• zomg 10 bid Allies.  3-4 infantry Anglo-Egypt and/or India.  Allied win.

Without Allied bid, Germany puts units in Africa to help crack Anglo-Egypt allowing the Med fleet to move west to unite with Baltic fleet on G2.  Much better German game.  Unless you’re allowing invasion of capitals first turn, in which case it’ll be Allied infantry placement at London . . . or else German Baltic transport ftw.

• I thought the generally accepted rules of bidding were that you couldn’t place more than one unit in the same territory?  Anyways, that is the rule we would follow.  And the thing is, if Allies put 12 IPC somehwere, the Axis will place their bid next and can presumably counter whatever the allies do.

• Usign the 1 unit per territory rule that has been added to the discussion…

Allies:
    1 INF Egypt
    1 ART Karelia
    1 ARM Archangel

Russian opens with a 3 territory strike taking Eastern, West Russia and Ukraine. 
    Germany takes extra losses attacking Egypt, if they are even able to try after setting up counters throught central Europe against Russia.

• @JLord:

I thought the generally accepted rules of bidding were that you couldn’t place more than one unit in the same territory?  Anyways, that is the rule we would follow.  And the thing is, if Allies put 12 IPC somehwere, the Axis will place their bid next and can presumably counter whatever the allies do.

Yeah, it’s also generally accepted that you don’t give a bid to the Allies.

I figured you were doing your own thing, you know?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m