Here's a newbie's gripes of sets III & IV.
Mors Ab Alto last edited by
You’ve probably heard it all before but here’s my input. Just bought 1 case and 3 boosters for a total 15 boosters of each Contested Skies and D-day. The aircraft are a nice addition, just wished certain models like the Stuka were a bit more powerful. Aircraft scale seems good relative to other aircraft, but a bit small when to most of the ground units. One thing I do not like is the lack of specific vehicle description cast on the bottom on vehicles in sets III & IV.
- Flakpanzer is a bit too large when compared to other Panzer IV chassis vehicles in the game
- Jagpanzer is too plain. Where’s the cross?
- Got a Panzer IV aust D with a chassis from a SS Panzer aust F
- Flak 38 is way too small. Can you say 3" gun flashback.
- Why no regular Romanian infantry?
- Comet turret is very disappointing and a step backwards in quality with no independent gun movement
- The Japanese armored car is the biggest joke in the game. It should be the size of a SdKfz 222 at best, yet it towers over a Tiger I!
No duplicates in the case, but the individuals boosters were all duplicate pulls so i ended up with 2X Char B1-Bis, M4A3 & Chi-Ro.
Ended up short the Pershing, M36 MGC and P-51.
- The Italian L3/35 is the biggest disappointment for me in this set. What should be the size of a R-35 or Te-Ke is almost as small as the upcoming Goliath unit!
- The Spitfire. How can that happen when a picture of the correct casting is on the box? Enough said.
- All 3 of my Marder III’s had bent or broken barrels.
- Vet Tiger and Hetzer are too plain. Where are the markings?
- Amtrack and Hetzer are a bit too large
- Although I did not get one the German 88 looks way too large
My pulls yielded one duplicate in the case and 3 more duplicates in the individual boosters for 2X Higgins Boat, Churchill AVRE, P-38 & Canadian Sherman DD. Ended up with no Priest, Bf-110, Jagtiger or German 88.
The great majority of units in Axis & Allies minis remain nicely done. If past errors would be addressed WOTC would gain alot more respect from everyone.
Guest last edited by
You know, the boosters themselves say that the miniatures are NOT to scale. Yeaaaaaaaaaa, I rest my case.
Der Leiter last edited by
The L3/35 actually is to scale.
Some, like the Hellcat, Mayor McCheese Mobile, etc are ridiculously large, while others (3" Gun) are tiny. Overall though they do a nice job. Set V is of much better quality than the previous sets, and hopefully WotC will be maintaining that.
There are definitely things aspects about the game that are not perfect. But I think the positives outweigh the negatives.
Compared to other games like it, it’s cheaper, it has a nice rule system, it is customizeable, and games can be as short or as long as you want them