• I posted this same thread at the Avalon hill forums.

Since the Germans are getting the Goliath in this set, I think the Russians should get something similar to that.  It is in a way “remote” but definately no “controlled”.  Im talking about Soviet AT dogs.  You are probaly saying to yourself "WTF?"  In a nutshell, a trained dog carrieng 7 kg of heavy explosives launched to the underbelly of german tank and other armoured vehicles.  Needless to say, the dog was probaly not going to survive and perhaps it would be awarded a medal, post humously of course.

In August 1941 Soviets had 10 army units of AT dogs (consisted of 4 companies till July 1942, later - of 2 companies. Each company had 126 dogs). Such At dog units also had AT rifles platoons and snipers for killing the missed dogs with explosives. The first action AT dogs saw during the battle of Moscow in autumn 1941, 28th unit of AT dogs destroyed 42 German tanks and 2 armoured cars during the battle of Stalingrad. In one battle 15 from 17 dogs could reached the German tanks.

If they ever happened to make this into a unit in an upcoming set, what should the stat cards be?  Id like to hear your ideas for the Soviet AT dog.  :-D

[attachment deleted by admin]

• What kind of coward would train a dog for that purpose. Brutal.

In August 1941 Soviets had 10 army units of AT dogs (consisted of 4 companies till July 1942, later - of 2 companies. Each company had 126 dogs). Such At dog units also had AT rifles platoons and snipers for killing the missed dogs with explosives. The first action AT dogs saw during the battle of Moscow in autumn 1941, 28th unit of AT dogs destroyed 42 German tanks and 2 armoured cars during the battle of Stalingrad. In one battle 15 from 17 dogs could reached the German tanks.

So, now you have Germans running through Russia killing any dog they come across. Oh those Russia……stupid Russian.    :mrgreen:

• Those dogs also caused serious damage to the Russians own tanks; they were trained on RUSSIAN tanks not German; and so prompty ran after the first Russian tank they found. Boom.

@Mr:

What kind of coward would train a dog for that purpose. Brutal.

Yes, much better to shoot a human to ‘inspire’ the rest.

I think coward is a poor term to use; let’s not forget that Russia was being overrun by the Germans, and they still weren’t sure if the Japanese would attack or not, so they were extremely desperate… hence why they did things like this or the ‘bravery enforcement.’ The Russians were doing anything and everything they could to slow the Germans down, this was simply one more method that had dubious results.

I doubt we’ll see this any time soon, if ever.

• I’m not saying shooting their own soldiers was any better. But intentionally harming animals  is an abuse of innocents. Why not strap a bomb to a 2 year old child or a mentally challenged person too.

• @Mr:

I’m not saying shooting their own soldiers was any better. But intentionally harming animals  is an abuse of innocents. Why not strap a bomb to a 2 year old child or a mentally challenged person too.

When in war, no tactic is unethical, especially for the Russians.  :-D

• Of all the atrocities and horrible weapons used, dog mines are hardly the worst.

• yes war brings out the worst in the world

• Take the Goliath for example - during the warsaw uprising the Germans used them to simply drive in and blow up the poles.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m