• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Anyone ever consider taking Philippines on R1?

(Pacific Side only)

Destroyer to SZ 59
    AC, Transport to Philippines
    Fighter, 2 Infantry to Philippines
    Transport/Submarine to Solomon Islands

• 2007 AAR League

Why would you want to?

Borneo can be attacked by same things and have an IPC value of 4 and only 1 inf defending, Philiphine island have a value of 3, and have 2 defending inf´s…

• And it is closer to Japan and thus easier for Japan to take back.

Well, the idea I was thinking of is that if America goes pac strat you might be better off leaving Borneo/East Indies to them for ICs.

It was just a thought.

• risky but new and refreshing.

• An attack on the Phillipines would make Japan use a move to retake.  That would give the US another turn for development.  The capture of a victory city would get Japan’s attention.  It wouldn’t hold out, but it would occupy Japan for a move.

• @Jennifer:

Well, the idea I was thinking of is that if America goes pac strat you might be better off leaving Borneo/East Indies to them for ICs.Â

It was just a thought.

I wonder what might have you thinking about such things?

Well, I’ve played a few KJF games now.  And it ends up with England and America fighting Germany by herself.  Now, England has a wonderful IC right there next to Europe.  They can build another one in India and they’ll probably have a couple of those prime IC lands (FIC, Kwang, Manch.)  That means America would be wise to put up some of her own ICs on the islands, and the best two are East Indies and Borneo.

So what if Phil falls on J1 or J2?  The point is, you’ve distracted Japan, you’ve recovered your losses in Egypt (surpassed them, actually) and you’ve just added a 3rd major island group to America.

• I believe it is overextension.

• You mean B1 or E1, not R1?

• 2007 AAR League

@Nukchebi0:

You mean B1 or E1, not R1?

Probably Round 1

• Oh. I thought she meant Russia 1. I usually refer to the turns by the nations who take them, and I thought most people did too. Oh well.

Sometimes i do, sometimes I dont…Kinda depends on if I’m talking about just a nation’s turn or an allied/axis turn strat over all.  In this case, yes, I meant Round 1.

End R1:

Russia down Karelia, up W. Russia
    Germany down W. Russia, up Egypt and Karelia
    England down Egypt, up Phil, New Guinea
    Japan down Phil, New Guinea, up China
    America down China

• 2007 AAR League

@Jennifer:

Sometimes i do, sometimes I dont…Kinda depends on if I’m talking about just a nation’s turn or an allied/axis turn strat over all.  In this case, yes, I meant Round 1.

End R1:

Russia down Karelia, up W. Russia
    Germany down W. Russia, up Egypt and Karelia
    England down Egypt, up Phil, New Guinea
    Japan down Phil, New Guinea, up China
    America down China

The odds of taking New Guinea seem too shaky to just assume Japan will lose it … I’ve tried it a couple times with 2 INF vs 1 INF and its almost equal odds …

Actually, you have close to a 67% chance of winning a 2 on 1 attack with infantry.  I almost routinely do a 2 infantry vs 1 in Borneo and New Guinea for that reason.  (Odds for Egypt are a lot lower with a German bid in Africa and you risk much more in assets for less pay off.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m