• 2007 AAR League

I am a long time A&A-player, but I have yet to play any real A&A Tournament (well, my first game was actually played in a Tournament, but I REALLY did not know what I was doing that time…I  have accounted for this tale in the “Newbies Experiences”-thread).

Anyhow, I wonder if there are any “standard” Tournament rules employed?

Are tournaments, typically:

• Several rounds, were you “qualify” to next round by winning games?
    • Are bid employed? In that case, how? If not: How are sides decided? Preference list or flip of a coin?

Any information would be appreciated! I just want some hints, should I ever decide to go for my tournament organizing plans  :wink:

• FTF tournaments are run differently from online play.

FTF are 4hours in length, bid for sides, usually axis +whatever.

Advance through rounds, usually 4-5, until the champion is crowned.

Tournament rules are LHTR (larry’s rules) with a 9 VC tournament condition, with bonus points for holding one of these territories.

Triple A, AAMC, DAAK, and this site, all have different rules, but usually the FTF are pretty standard. (Except for the WBC which uses 12 VT (victory territories)  instead of 9 VC).

Next major FTF tournament is Gencon SoCal in  November.

For more complete info, go here….

http://www.geocities.com/headlesshorseman2/smoreyswamp.html

Squirecam

• And I guess I’ll post how we have been running the site sponsored online Tournaments…

Sign up in advance, and we limit signups to allow for even brackets (after the problems we had with ‘by’ rounds in the Spring 2006 Tournament) but otherwise anyone can join.

Single Ellimination, with a Consoldation Game to determine 3rd place.

Larry Harris Tournmanet Rules, current edition (right now that is 1.3).
    No Technology, No National Advantages
    Blind Bid, with random selection in the event of a tie.
    10 Victory Cities or surrender
    Actual Dice Server (I do not use low or no luck for Tournaments)
    DAAK has been the primary online Dicey, with Frood and our in-site dicey as alternates.

And because of the size of our Tournaments, and the amount of time it takes to play an online game…
    24 hour posting requirement with one warning for delay of game (exceeding that results in default).
    3 Week game duration, with possible extension up to an additional week.

If you want to see a sample of the online Tournaments, go to the Play By Forum area, then Games in Progress, then the sub-thread Tournaments.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=50.0

• 2007 AAR League

Thanks!
    A few more Q:s though, regarding FTF Tournament formats…

• You usually play in teams consisting of 2 persons? And if the team loses, both people are eliminated from the Tournament? I thought five persons played the game, and only

• What if no side has lost the game after 4 hours?? (should be fairly common)

• What the h**l does Single Elimination stand for ?    :?    (English is not my native tongue)

• Single Ellimination means one loss and you are out of the Tournament.

• @Perry:

Thanks!
    A few more Q:s though, regarding FTF Tournament formats…

• You usually play in teams consisting of 2 persons? And if the team loses, both people are eliminated from the Tournament? I thought five persons played the game, and only

• What if no side has lost the game after 4 hours?? (should be fairly common)

• What the h**l does Single Elimination stand for ?    :?    (English is not my native tongue)

As an example, AAR starts at 8:00 a.m. By 10 pm you are burned out. And you may still be playing. This is why 2 team members are needed. You will be at a disadvantage playing solo.

Yes, it is one loss oan out at Gen Con Indy. Swiss at WBC, which means you will play 3 games.

After 4 hours, you add IPC totals + VC points, and that causes a winner.

Squirecam

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m