• Alright, we’ve got a 60lb. Shar-pei/boxer mix.  His name is Gustaff, and he’s about 5 (maybe 6) years old.

Here’s the problem: he’s not been an oustide dog, so he stays inside.  As my boy is getting older, we are starting to worry that he could pose a problem (the dog, not the boy).

Years ago, he was kinda freaked out about kids, and I’m guessing saw them as a threat?  Never let him near one, but of course kids were around, otherwise we wouldn’t have known he had some sort of problem.  He’s gone through phases of demeanor, and went from being cautious around new people, to out right territorial.  He’s bit one person, my mom, because she walked in the door suddenly and he doesn’t really know her.  He’s been increasingly alert at noises from outside: if he hears a car, or someone knock, he’ll start barking.  Might be frustrated that his inside and cooped up most of the day.

Anyway, he doesn’t seem to mind our little guy at all…he acknowledges my son’s presence, and even seems to be wary of getting too close.  However, my GF is particularly worried that the dog would do something, and of course, it’s quite possible.  So, I’m asking: what would you do?  I love this dog, even though he was originally my GF’s before we even met, and I hate to keep him somewhat locked up, but can’t bear to think of him going to the humane society.  We’ve even thought about living separately to accommodate him, but that’s not fair to my GF or son.  Advice?

[attachment deleted by admin]

• You cannot let the dog sit on concrete! This will over time destroy his legs. The cold pavement at night will destroy his bones. Bring him inside give him a bath and take proper care of him. During the day he can play outside at night he should be in your home. Its like if you have a responsibility then be responsibile for something. The dogs problem is YOU ARE NOT WALKING HIM ENOUGH Thats why his frustration with strangers is evident. You must walk him at least 45 minutes each day and walk him with your family so he can grow accustomed to them in a neutral enviroment.

Dont pet him before or after you get home… wait like 30 minutes before or after you interact with him. Allow other members of your family to feed him and stop feeding him yourself.

• @Imperious:

You cannot let the dog sit on concrete! This will over time destroy his legs. The cold pavement at night will destroy his bones. Bring him inside give him a bath and take proper care of him. During the day he can play outside at night he should be in your home. Its like if you have a responsibility then be responsibile for something. The dogs problem is YOU ARE NOT WALKING HIM ENOUGH Thats why his frustration with strangers is evident. You must walk him at least 45 minutes each day and walk him with your family so he can grow accustomed to them in a neutral enviroment.

Dont pet him before or after you get home… wait like 30 minutes before or after you interact with him. Allow other members of your family to feed him and stop feeding him yourself.

It’s true, we don’t walk him enough, I’ve heard that before.  But we also go out in the backyard with him.  He never sits on concrete, and sleeps inside the house, usually with me.  We’ve thought about going through serious training with him, which could help.  Mary’s just quite a bit paranoid…

Thanks, IL.

• He does not want a backyard… he wants to sniff all the things that are located around the neighborhood. Thats what they do.

• Letting him explore his environment (the neighborhood) will allow him to feel more in control of “his territory”.  Letting other members of the household (your wife) feed and care for him will allow him to feel more secure.

Once he feels more secure and in control, start introducing items with your son’s scent on them.  Let him get accustomed to the scent and realize that your son belongs there, and Gustaff will see that he’s not being replaced and include your son in his “pack” (your family).

• @SSG:

Letting him explore his environment (the neighborhood) will allow him to feel more in control of “his territory”.  Letting other members of the household (your wife) feed and care for him will allow him to feel more secure.

Once he feels more secure and in control, start introducing items with your son’s scent on them.  Let him get accustomed to the scent and realize that your son belongs there, and Gustaff will see that he’s not being replaced and include your son in his “pack” (your family).

He was not my dog to begin with…she had him for a good year or so before we met.  And he is around the little guy, but only if we are around as well.  He also timidly “steals” my boy’s toys when they’ve been on the floor for too long, which doesn’t happen very often (maybe 1 or 2 twos over the past 9 months).

• That is most likely an effort to get your attention…

The dog went form being #1 to an “also ran”, so “taking” somethign that belongs to the new #1 is a way of getting attention.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m