List of standard acronyms…noob confused by IPC, IC, FIG, KJF, etc...

• Let me add some more:

IJN= Imperial Japanese Navy
    USN= United States navy
    India Crush= Japanese strategy to capture calcutta by J3

A2, A3: Alpha 2, Alpha 3, etc etc. Official setups made by Larry Harris. (with the newest one being A3.9)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@moralecheck:

The H in HMS was “His” for WW2.

I believe it stands for Her Majesty’s Ship now.  But yea, in WWII, it was His Majesty’s Ship…

• @Cmdr:

@moralecheck:

The H in HMS was “His” for WW2.

I believe it stands for Her Majesty’s Ship now.  But yea, in WWII, it was His Majesty’s Ship…

Correct.  When George VI died and Elizabeth became Queen, the Royal Navy had to change the brass lettering on all of the oak casks in which grog was mixed from “The King, God Bless Him” to “The Queen, God Bless Her.”  Grog rations were abolished by the RN in the 1970s, so fortunately for the RN’s budget it won’t have to change everything back to “The King, God Bless Him” when Elizabeth II is succeeded by (presumably) King Charles III.

I’da left the darn things as they were and only changed the inscription on new ones…but then, maybe it is thinking like that which caused England to get a bloody nose twice in the colonies?  (War of Colonial Insurrection 1, War of Colonial Insurrection 2 (1812))

• @Cmdr:

I’da left the darn things as they were and only changed the inscription on new ones…but then, maybe it is thinking like that which caused England to get a bloody nose twice in the colonies?  (War of Colonial Insurrection 1, War of Colonial Insurrection 2 (1812))

that’s what the limeys call it?? Bwaaaahahaha!!!

@Slackaveli:

@Cmdr:

Better than the War of Northern Aggression! (Civil War)

• @Slackaveli:

@Cmdr:

I doubt they call it that because Britain’s had quite a few of those in other parts of the Empire, so the name wouldn’t be distinctive enough.  They’ve even had a few in the upper half of North America, if you count the Lower Canada Rebellion (1837) and the Upper Canada Rebellion (same year), so it wouldn’t even be distinctive enough to call the American Revolution the “War of American Colonial Insurrection”.  Maybe “War of Insurrection in the Thirteen Colonies” would be better, or perhaps “War of Colonial Insurrection by the So-Called United States of America”, which would be quite a mouthful.

• It sounds funny to my American ears is all. perspective is a funny thing. still have english blood in my veins, cousins. :-)

• OOL - Order of loss

• I am trying to review some forums games and I was wondering what WLO and TWLO stand for in the combat results?

Here is an example:

Results
    Ukr defended wlo 3inf art(2inf art tank ftr Ger remains)
    WRu twlo 4inf

• wlo = with loss of
    twlo = taken with loss of

• what on earth is N.G.  ?

• New Guinea?
    Or not good

• DOW = Declaration Of War (e.g. DOW)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m