New Axis & Allies Global War Variant (free map)

• Thankfully I have my own HP DesignJet plotter at work to print this out on so it is free.  I want to get it plaqued which will cost me $200, which is why I am waiting and hoping for Positronica to correct the spelling mistakes.  If I am going to invest that kind of money in it, I would like it to be perfect (at least from an appearance point of view).  I hope Positronica is able to do it, I understand how people can get quite busy especially this time of year.

So A few territories are misspelled, **** it I don’t think that that will take away from the game in the name of looks like I said the Map is Huge so mu to look at. especially when set up

• This past weekend we had our gaming group session where we used the big map thatI got from Positronica on this forum. It worked out great! The game went pretty well, although it seemed a little too strong on the Allies side. I played Italy because it was new and I wanted to try it out, I did pretty well in Africa and holding the Med. Sea. A lot of fun was had by all. The game started at 10am and the Axis threw in the towel around 8pm that night, so it was a good 10 hour session… it could have gone on a few more hours, and everyone agreed that there was a SLIM chance the Axis might have been able to get a victory, but it wasn’t one that anyone felt like playing to find out! haha.

The only thing I would do on the map for our next session is enlarge it a little more than I had it, as you can see from the photos, I sized it for my dining room table, but I could go another 6" or more and it would still fit, as it was now the only two trouble spots were Berlin and all of England, just too small to fit all the pieces, everywhere else was ok though…  The only thing I would change on the deployment/country cards would be to either give the axis slightly more troops/money, or lower down the allies, specifically the USA, they dominated the entire game, which is fine, but it just seemed a little too easy. :)

Some photos can be found here:
    http://www.deroan.com/pgg/photoalbum/2006-12/

Excellent Map, a LOT of fun…

Thanks!
    Derek…

• The map is too small for all the units you got. Piece density is the same or worse than the actual revised game due to many territories. I would consider making a copy thats at least 2 feet longer and one foot taller to accomodate all the plastic. Id like to be able to get close ups of the set up sheets so i can see how its balanced. Also can you tell us the IPC totals starting out?

• You are correct, it was pretty much the same “piece density” as a normal axis and allies revised game, which was not bad, and not a problem to play, but could have been larger…  The only real set-up problems were England and Berlin.

I used the cards provided with the map that are linked in a message at the start of this thread, all of the info is there and the cards are there and able to be printed out, etc., so that is where you will find the info.

Like I had said, everyone in our group agreed that the Allies were at slightly too great of an advantage with troops and income, but not horribly bad, a few minor adjustments would really help.

Derek…

• Death’s Head,

I agree that it wont take away from game play, but there are more than spelling mistakes.  Libya should be Italy’s not Germany’s and I think there are a few others that I pointed out in a earlier post.  That being said, if he chooses not to fix the issues, there really is nothing I can do about it, but I will not be plaquing it then.  I’d rather not print multiple copies because they keep getting ruined.

Cheers,

Pat

• You could also make some adjustments yourself? not…  It is for personal gameplay… Why not change the color or spelling errors yourself… It is not to hard to figure out…

• tried already.  Not experienced with the software.  even Positronica said I would have a difficult time trying to edit it with little experience.

• I would be more than willing to make the modifications/edits to the map, including altering terriroty colors, fixing the names that are wrong, etc. I am a commercial artist, and have been working professionally in the field for about 17 years, so I have the ability and computer software to easily edit this. I actually converted the Paint Shop files from Positronica into Photoshop Files (I work in Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2).

If you all would like to discuss the changes, agree upon what needs to be done, and send me the master change list, I’ll go in and redo the map, but it wont happen until after the first of the year because I have other projects that I am doing now for clients.

Since there should be no discussion over mis-spelled countries, please send me that info first.

Also, DER PANZINATOR mentioned he had the original vector line art file that POSITRONICA used to create this map, I would like to get a copy of that if possible to work from because the map that POSITRONICA did was only 200 dpi, so it is slightly grainy/fuzzy and not crisp and clean like it should be.

I also have a wide format printer, I can print 4’ wide by however long this map needs to be. So for instance, I can do a single 4’x8’ sheet, and would be happy to do prints for everyone here when complete for my COST PLUS SHIPPING!!! I dont want/need/ask for any extra money for profit, I have a gaming group here in Central Florida, so I’d be more than happy to network with other gaming groups and share my capabilities, so long as I am not losing money I am happy…

Thanks,
    Derek…

• I’d be down with buying a copy from you, in a heartbeat. As for changes to the map, the only one that I saw was dividing the black sea into 2 territories instead of 1.
    :mrgreen:
    Iken

• Ok, what ParagonGames offers sounds really good…

• Well guys, the bottom line is I’ll be redoing the map regardless (unless the original creator or Pointstronic wants to do it), because my gaming group did have a lot of fun.

So go ahead and compile all the changes and I’ll take the orders, I wont start the map itself until after the holidays becasue I am too busy, so no rush to iron out the details this week, that will put us in FEB. before we’ll have printed maps, so we will be doing good.

Derek…

• OK, if those mistakes are final in those two posts and there are no others, I’ll use those two emails as the list of corrections.

Thanks,
    Derek…

• In post 39 I included markers for Italy and Nationalist Chinese.  These would make a nice addition to the map.

Cheers,

pdel21

• Thanks pdel21, does everyone think that is a good idea, and should China be a different color than the green it is now?

Derek…

• Derek,

I think the colour that Positronica used is sufficient.  The marker would be a nice addition since China already is shaded differently from all others,  even though it is controlled by the USA.  It would be the same as in AAP.  It would be nice for aesthetics.  The roundel for Italy I think is a must since the Roman Fascia was the symbol of Italy adopted by Mussollini at the time.  The marker used by Positronica would have been adopted after the war.

• I agree on the logo for Italy, no problem… Some of the colors were a little too dark on the map (in the opinions of all the gamers in my group that played), and the UK territory seemed to have a pinkish/orange color to it, where as the pieces were tan, also Germany was a bit too dark, overall not bad, but those are comments that were made when compared to the actual A&A pieces used to play, and I agreed with everyone that it would be nicer if the map more closely matched the pieces. :)

• I agree with Craig.  My print out sounds very much like his, with light blue bordering on grey for water. Everyone in my gaming group thinks it is visually stunning at the moment.  I am not sure how your plotter is interpreting the colours in the jpeg, that may be the issue.

• I modified positrona’s map to include France basically a 1939 varient.  But I am having trouble printing it out.  I have had no time to work on it but if anyone wants it I can post it on rapidshare.

• Hey Craig,

I think the reason may be the printer, I am printing it on a very high resolution, digital, wide-format printer with glossy photo paper, at which point the paper is then laminated. The map you saw that I printed needs to be rolled into a tube, it will not fold or bend, also, you can wash it with soap/water/windex/etc., it will last decades…

So I think the process of printing makes things a bit darker and shiny looking on the final print.

Derek…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m