• When you look at a map of Russia, and look where Moscow is, you realize the Germans really didn’t capture that much of Russian land.

• Yes but the issue is they captured the most valuable portion of land where most of the Rich farmland was, where major raillines converged, oil centers… the very center of what Russia was in economic terms.  The German plan was to only move up to a line drawn Archangel north to Astrakan  south to the caspian sea. The rest was considered wasteland where the remnants of Soviet forces would be reduced to something akin to barbarian hordes with only the ability to read road signs so that they wouldnt get run over by German cars.

• I figured that, but considering most of the Russian factories were moved there (the line, of course, is essentially the Urals,) wouldn’t they have been able to rebuild a force to attack the Germans?

Or would the Germans have burned it, but not bothered covering it?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

They also got a majority of the river crossings.  The rivers were vital to the under developed Russians…actually, they’ve pretty much been vital until very recently…something about communist nations not having the money or the labor to build highly sophisticated rail or road ways…

But no, I don’t think anyone but the Mongols have ever captured a significant portion of Russia.

• I figured that, but considering most of the Russian factories were moved there (the line, of course, is essentially the Urals,) wouldn’t they have been able to rebuild a force to attack the Germans?

They may have had factories in the Urals but they would have been bombed from Gorki… no oil, no foodstuffs, no way to transport materials, no man power would have led to a poor result in battle. The germans would have cut the siberian railline or allowed the Japanese to come thru to attack the other side of china and the middle east to India.

• @Imperious:

I figured that, but considering most of the Russian factories were moved there (the line, of course, is essentially the Urals,) wouldn’t they have been able to rebuild a force to attack the Germans?

They may have had factories in the Urals but they would have been bombed from Gorki… no oil, no foodstuffs, no way to transport materials, no man power would have led to a poor result in battle. The germans would have cut the siberian railline or allowed the Japanese to come thru to attack the other side of china and the middle east to India.

So civilized, cohesive, Russia was Europe?

• 2007 AAR League

st. petersburg is the window to europe.

Saint Petersburg was a Czar’s attempt to Westernize Russia.

Unfortunately, for Russia, maybe fortunately for the world, it did not spread throughout Russia.

Imagine if Russia had an army the size they did using modern (to that time period) tactics and equipment and methods and training!  Ye gads…WWII might never have happened, but the EU would be the Union of Soviet Socialized European and Asian States!

Scarey thought, huh?  Of course, it’s all hypothetical.  What we know is that a Czar went to school in France and learned about the navy, fell in love with the concept of a navy and went home to build one.  Then, to house his new navy, he commissioned the building of a city, named Saint Petersburg, and it was constructed to emulate the cities of the West, where he attended school. (France I believe.  That was the cultural center of the world at the time, so even if I’m wrong and he went to Germany/Prussia or England, I’m still not totally off base.)

• @Jennifer:

Saint Petersburg was a Czar’s attempt to Westernize Russia.

Unfortunately, for Russia, maybe fortunately for the world, it did not spread throughout Russia.

Imagine if Russia had an army the size they did using modern (to that time period) tactics and equipment and methods and training!  Ye gads…WWII might never have happened, but the EU would be the Union of Soviet Socialized European and Asian States!

Scarey thought, huh?  Of course, it’s all hypothetical.  What we know is that a Czar went to school in France and learned about the navy, fell in love with the concept of a navy and went home to build one.  Then, to house his new navy, he commissioned the building of a city, named Saint Petersburg, and it was constructed to emulate the cities of the West, where he attended school. (France I believe.  That was the cultural center of the world at the time, so even if I’m wrong and he went to Germany/Prussia or England, I’m still not totally off base.)

Yeah. Command and Conquer: Red Alert, anyone?

• I love to build millions of dogs and send them in hordes against the enemy… especially against the townspeople! but i hate when they die and you hear that last yelp in the snow…sad…

• @Imperious:

I love to build millions of dogs and send them in hordes against the enemy… especially against the townspeople! but i hate when they die and you hear that last yelp in the snow…sad…

Yeah.

So anyway, the loss of Moscow and Leningrad would have ended the Soviets because they wouldn’t have been able to fight cohesively?

• The loss of these cities and the southern oil centers would have crippled the Soviet economy. They cant move the oil fields and they can only pump so much of oil at a time.

• Oil was rather important.

So the Soviets would have little, and the Germans would have had a source the Allies coudln’t have bombed because they couldn’t have reached it

Therefore, the Germans would have been more immune to the Ploeisti raids, and once the Soviets were shattered, could get around to invading Britain.

• The plan to conquer the Soviets was the method to force england into surrender. After mopping up they would have taken all the middle east and consolidated hold on Africa. The loss of India, Suez, Malta, grater and other colonies ( Australia presumably) would have meant scraps as foodstuffs for england. Invasion would have loomed, but the war would have been over anyway at this point.
    Hitler envisioned that future generations would have taken these consolidated territories and carried the final battle to American shores. An invasion of england would have been more of a landing of a deserted island with many people have allready anticipated the coming disaster for england and left to Canada and America. BY then the Italian fleet would have been reinforced with oil reserves and went to Brest and St.Nazaire  in preparation for the Sealion of 1945, when German would have Jets or all types and many long range bombers to attack USA. Occupation of the Azores from her new allies in Spain would have furthered possible coups in Argentina and chili and started a 5th column all throughtout south America.

• But it never happened…

Thank you.

• 2007 AAR League

no, read the gulag archipelago and then see more problems with communism.  It isnt greed, its absolute power and inhumanity.  Crazy people, those communists.

Hitler came to power in an Aristocracy that happened to have democratic elements.  Not the same as a representative democracy.  Also, children going to school and shooting people is not a fault of democracy, it’s a fault of bad programming done by the liberal elite.  When the situation was run by the local matriarch and taught values and facts we did not have this problem.

• @Jennifer:

Hitler came to power in an Aristocracy that happened to have democratic elements.  Not the same as a representative democracy.  Also, children going to school and shooting people is not a fault of democracy, it’s a fault of bad programming done by the liberal elite.  When the situation was run by the local matriarch and taught values and facts we did not have this problem.

I find it hard to listen to you Jennifer, becaue you can’t stop with the worthless attacks.

@Nukchebi0:

@Jennifer:

I find it hard to listen to you Jennifer, becaue you can’t stop with the worthless attacks.

Not my fault you attempted to equate Hitler to an elected official in a representative democracy when he was an appointed official in an aristocracy. (the Kaiser confirmed him after he was elected.  The Kaiser could have dismissed him, technically, though how literal the idea might be could be heavily debated on both sides.)

Then you go on to say it’s democracy’s fault for children shooting each other in schools when we can realistically look at history, with non-politically polarized goggles and see that it is more accurate to say it is a lack of morals being taught in schools that has resulted in the rise of crime.  After all, there were no documented school shootings between 1860 and 1900 when schools taught conservative values.  But since the 1960’s, when schools stopped teaching morals and ethics and just touted the government mantras, we see a spike in violent crimes in schools.

Funny, when the facts come out, your statements don’t seem to be very accurate at all.  And thus, you are reduced to your flame-thrower.

• @Jennifer:

Also, children going to school and shooting people is not a fault of democracy, it’s a fault of bad programming done by the liberal elite.

Wha!? Thats doesnt seem right.  Children going to school and shooting people is no ones fault but their own.  You can probaly go to the extent and blame the parents for not teaching the kids whats right and wrong.  However, if the kids knows that shooting people with a gun is wrong and the parents had taught them that, and the kid still does it, it is absolutely no one elses fault but the kid.  Doesnt make sense to blame democracy or as Jen said “bad programming done by the liberal elite.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m