Sherman Calliope & Thompson Gunner

• Link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20060927c

The Calliope may look bad at first because of the cost, but it does have bombardment build in.

The Thompsons are nice, but the Rangers are better.

• The Calliope is freakin sweet,  its not innacurate like the Katyusha and it has a rocket salvo too.

The Thompson Gunner is cool too, but I think its complete BS that they get 8 dice at medium range.  The PPSh only gets only 5 dice at medium range.  Still a good piece though.

• I agree about the range on the thompson. It seems (also with this new Sherman) that the Americans are a bit overpowered in terms of their units. They haven’t got any real useless units do they?

• Not all American units are overpowered coughLeecough but the majority are at the very least decently priced, and more often than not underpriced.

Historically it’s fairly correct, as the Americans had a TON of equipment, however WotC has specifically said they didn’t take issues such as that into consideration when pricing - they just decided to over/under price some units :roll:

• Another Sherman.  Another.  Sherman.  Oh well, I’m sure one will find its way into the War at Sea Game, too.

• Well they were used quite extensively…

• The Calliope isnt overpowering I think.  Keep in mind this is still a tank, so it isnt going to just use the rockets on top to attack.  It still has a barrel to shoot shells at tanks.  Some other people are also saying about the Calliope not being innacurate.  If you notice, the dice are fixed so that it gets less dice than the Katyusha so the probability of killing a unit with a rocket salvo from a Calliope would be the same as with the Katyusha.

The only unit I have real beef with is that Thompson.  For 1 extra point, you get a crap load of stuff.  3 more dice on medium range, close assault, and gung ho.  Thats farkin amazing how lopsided that unit is.

• I don’t mind the Calliope or the Duplex Drive models.  I’m just tired of having a rare slot taken up by the same basic tank over and over again.  They could have just as easily skipped the Easy Eight (The Rhino model would have sufficed), the 105mm version, and the Firefly.  What they should do is sell Sherman kits.  You buy a kit with a Sherman chassis and attach the turret and special weapons suited to the model you want to field.

• @unc_samurai:

I don’t mind the Calliope or the Duplex Drive models.  I’m just tired of having a rare slot taken up by the same basic tank over and over again.  They could have just as easily skipped the Easy Eight (The Rhino model would have sufficed), the 105mm version, and the Firefly.  What they should do is sell Sherman kits.  You buy a kit with a Sherman chassis and attach the turret and special weapons suited to the model you want to field.

That probaly would have saved time and money, but then how would you go about with getting the apropriate card with it?

• I don’t think you can reasonably expect WotC to do that. There wouldn’t be much to gain for them, and a lot of work.

Now it would be nice if they all weren’t rare, but then again I don’t really want 6 Sherman Calliopes, and I vastly prefer having units such as the new Hungarian Tank as uncommons instead so I can get a bunch of them easily, unlike say the Romanian Tank which is notoriously difficult to find around here.

• Wow cool, we are going to get the Calliope,  I love the fact we get something halfway good that has rocket salvo…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m