Another newbie with a newbie question

• Hi Fella’s

Reporting for duty all the way from Holland! New to the game (and miniatures in general). Opponents are stretched thin here so I’m allways playing against a good friend of mine. Recently we’ve had some issues with defensive fire. Is defensive fire provoked when a unit moves in a straight line towards an enemy unit? Like this (units are random):

(humber)
                           |
                           |   
                           v
                        (tiger)

Or is defencive fire only provoked when passing the enemy unit so to say? This is unclear to me because in the rules it says that defensive fire is provoked only when a unit moves from one hex adjacent to another hex adjacent.

Can anybody clarify this?

• Defensive fire is provoked when a unit moves from an adjacent hex from the enemy unit to another adjacent hex.  In the rule book it states that the same hex as the enemy unit also counts as adjacent.  So to answer your question, the Tiger would be able to get a defensive fire against the Humber, and most likely that Humber would end up with a face up disruption.

• Thanks, that clears something up. But I’ve got a ‘what if’. What if the humber would stop in the hex adjacent to the Tigers own hex. Then the humber would be moving from a hex not adjacent in to a hex that is adjacent. Does the tiger get def. fire?

• @thommieh:

Thanks, that clears something up. But I’ve got a ‘what if’. What if the humber would stop in the hex adjacent to the Tigers own hex. Then the humber would be moving from a hex not adjacent in to a hex that is adjacent. Does the tiger get def. fire?

Then in that case it wouldnt.  It has to be adjacent to adjacent for defensive fire to be performed.  If the Humber stopped at an adjacent hex coming from a non-adjacent hex, then the Humber would be safe from defensive fire, although I wouldnt say that it is completely safe from the Tiger.  :wink:

• I thank you again. This clarifies the whole defensive fire issue

@MechanizedWarfare:

the Humber would be safe from defensive fire, although I wouldnt say that it is completely safe from the Tiger. :wink:

Are you sure about that?  :wink:

• Assuming you go first, and there is ample cover for you to “strike and fade”, then yea you are okay.  However a smart player will make it difficult for you to do so if he can manage to get a cheap infantry to close assault the Humber.

• Like MechanizedWarfare said, you will only provoke defencive-fire from a unit if you move from 1 hex adjacent to that unit, to another hex adjacent to that unit; ‘backing off’ doesn’t provoke (unless of course it has battlefield awareness).

Also note that:

A. if you attempt to move and fail to (eg your humber is adjacent to a Tiger and tries to move into a forest that is also adjacent to the tiger, but fails it’s movement roll) you do not provoke defencive-fire.

B. If a unit is in a smoke screen you can still provoke defencive-fire from it, HOWEVER unless the provoking unit moves into the smoke screen hex, the defencive-fire ‘fizzles’ as the unit doesn’t have LOS.

C. A unit can defencive-fire once per phase not turn For example an AA Gun could potentially defencive-fire three times per turn; once during your opponents movements, air hase, and flight phase. It can also fire normally during your assault. Of course this never happens…

• Thanks fellas! Being new to the game allmost all information is usefull!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m