• although I feel this is not entirely necessary
    in AARHE we do model a bit of “government pulling out” by having multiple boxes to check off

• so Tekky do you think its a good idea or not? i am on the fence with this one.

• I feel more towards “not”
    is kinda something modelled already with progressive boxes

• ok ill go with that too.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@tekkyy:

I feel more towards “not”
    is kinda something modelled already with progressive boxes

What are progressive boxes?

• Final Thought on the idea as Jen posted it…

The rationale for the IPC’s being returned is that research that was not showing promise was cancelled.  So, in order to get the funds back, you should also NOT be allowed to roll for the same tech the NEXT round.

If you did, you obviously DID continue research, so no refund.  Also, political powers are NOT likely to spend money on the same failed idead immediately after they pulled funding the prior budget.

You can try again for the saem tech in TWO rounds though, perhaps some new direction in the reasearch that convinced the powers that be to again spend money on that particular concept.

:-)

• What are progressive boxes?

ok each tech listed has a number of boxes on a player aid that is checked off untill you get the desired tech. Each nation has a number of free rolls and also a number (with limits) of what they may buy for tech. Lastly, each nation has or starts with a specific level of some of the technologies to represent what it had done prior to spring 1942. You are limited to one level or box per tech achievement on a turn and all tech developments are kept w/o knowledge from the enemy. This system makes many historical accuracies possible because you may trick the enemy into thinking your going for the A bomb, when you are really getting jet power. This will keep the enemy into possibly funding wasted technology. it also makes it impossible to throw away your game after the other guy has tech with fruitless waste of money going after the same tech. this is not possible with one box per turn rule. Look at the draft regarding technology and who gets what to start.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

Final Thought on the idea as Jen posted it…

The rationale for the IPC’s being returned is that research that was not showing promise was cancelled.  So, in order to get the funds back, you should also NOT be allowed to roll for the same tech the NEXT round.

If you did, you obviously DID continue research, so no refund.  Also, political powers are NOT likely to spend money on the same failed idead immediately after they pulled funding the prior budget.

You can try again for the saem tech in TWO rounds though, perhaps some new direction in the reasearch that convinced the powers that be to again spend money on that particular concept.

:-)

Hmm, I like that idea, but let me play devil’s advocate for a second:  What if the government instead reinvested that money with a different research team?  Hence why it costs the entire 5 million man hours to try again?

• @Imperious:

You are limited to one level or box per tech achievement on a turn

wait where did that come from?

you saying you can only progress one box per turn for a particular tech?
    or you can only buy one dice per turn for a particular tech?

the latter would make techs close to impossible to get
    a 3/4/10 box tech would take on average 18/24/60 turns to get

the first is quite restrictive too and forces diversification or end up wasting IPC

• OH my poor memory… nevermind… :oops:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m