• Hey all,

I was thinking of buying Axis and Allies as a birthday present for my boyfriend.

I was wondering what you thought of the game itself, if it would make a good gift, and if there was a specific version that would be best to buy.

Thanks in advance,
    :-D
    Unnamed

• I would do Revised… most widely played version.

If he really likes it, other versions can be done for future gits events.

One thing… learn to play it with him, or realize that he WILL, if he really enjoys it, spend some time engrosed in the game rather than with you :-)

• Oh, and “Revised” is the one that is just called Axis and Allies and is produced by Avalon Hill

• 1.  The A & A ranks are dominated by men as most ladies do not have the patience for it.

The true gift should be after the delivery when you actually play the game together and both master it - …together…

2.  It is a huge commitment by a girlfriend.

I would even recommend you master it to the degree where you both can enter team tournaments and actually win a few games.

Your boyfriend may not know or even appreciate it now.
    He will if you guys ever break up. 
    You might not notice him after a break up, but he can easily notice how many other A & A experts will be very eager to date you.

If you just give him the box, it will be like any other gift.  There is a chance he will get interested and master it without you.  In that case, you can simply join the ranks of other A & A widows.

All I can say is that the gender ratio is such that any lady making the commitment for A & A mastery or expertise will become very visible and matchable.

• @ncscswitch:

I would do Revised… most widely played version.

If he really likes it, other versions can be done for future gits events.

One thing… learn to play it with him, or realize that he WILL, if he really enjoys it, spend some time engrosed in the game rather than with you :-)

That doesn’t suprise me, I was planning on learning the game with him. The both of us love learning about historical events, so it makes it that much easier to find common interests. (Which, in fairness, isn’t really THAT hard…)

@Linkon:

1. The A & A ranks are dominated by men as most ladies do not have the patience for it.

The true gift should be after the delivery when you actually play the game together and both master it - …together…

As I said before, I was planning on learning the game with him, and I know I’m not like many normal ladies, so it might work to my advantage for once.

2. It is a huge commitment by a girlfriend.

I would even recommend you master it to the degree where you both can enter team tournaments and actually win a few games.

That actually sounds like fun, I hadn’t even considered it. I could sugest it if and when we get good enough.

Your boyfriend may not know or even appreciate it now.
    He will if you guys ever break up.
    You might not notice him after a break up, but he can easily notice how many other A & A experts will be very eager to date you.

Shhh!!
    knocks on wood
    We’ll never break up!! Never!!

hyperventilates

Thank you both for your feedback.
    It’s greatly appreciated, and it’s definetly helping me narrow down what to get him.
    ^_^

Unnamed

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Well, we girls don’t normally do too well in this game, Unnamed.  We get picked on by the boys a lot. :)

Then again, I’m here to tell you that there is at least one other girl in the world that does play this game and enjoys it.  Even if my win/loose record isn’t the best. (Currently 3W, 1D, 5L)

• @Jennifer:

Well, we girls don’t normally do too well in this game, Unnamed.  We get picked on by the boys a lot. :)

Then again, I’m here to tell you that there is at least one other girl in the world that does play this game and enjoys it.  Even if my win/loose record isn’t the best. (Currently 3W, 1D, 5L)

At least some of us try,  :roll:

And I’m glad to know that I won’t be the only girl playing, although I think I might be the only Ontarian on these boards… :|

Unnamed

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Unnamed:

@Jennifer:

At least some of us try,  :roll:

And I’m glad to know that I won’t be the only girl playing, although I think I might be the only Ontarian on these boards… :|

Unnamed

Dunno where Cystic Crypt lives, but he’s in Canada somewhere, he might be from Ontario. :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m