• Youknow, i forgot that DST in the Eastern Med.

TRN can;t go to Egypt (without a very risky battle that will cost Germany FIGs)

So the TRN goes west too.

as I said, this is just a concept, and not fleshed out AT ALL.

One of those crazy ideas that just MIGHT be viable in terms of scareing the snot out of an opponent… “What?  Germany is not allowed to have navy!  And certainly not THERE!  And that IC!  And he is building MORE navy!  Oh Shite!  I am screwed, i am screwed, I am screwed… OK, suicide my fleet… how much INF can I buy as UK?  Hurry up America, I need defenses!  Forget Africa!  Hurry up Russia, push faster, even if it leaves you thin in Eastern, I need HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPP!”

You know, somethign to inspire THAT kind of thinking in your opponent  :mrgreen:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Ah, it woulda been legit though.  Cause 1 Fighter, 1 Transport vs 1 Destroyer is almost a guarenteed win.  IMHO.

Though yea, I usually just put two infantry in Libya on my bid then take Gibraltar with 1 infantry to stop any counter attack by England.  Whatcha gunna do, hit me with a destroyer and a bomber?  Sheesh!  Okay, I loose a transport, you loose a destroyer and a bomber. :P

• @Jennifer:

Ah, it woulda been legit though.  Cause 1 Fighter, 1 Transport vs 1 Destroyer is almost a guarenteed win.  IMHO.

Though yea, I usually just put two infantry in Libya on my bid then take Gibraltar with 1 infantry to stop any counter attack by England.  Whatcha gunna do, hit me with a destroyer and a bomber?  Sheesh!  Okay, I loose a transport, you loose a destroyer and a bomber. :P

I thought you could only put one man/military hardware piece in one area and that was it?  Have the bid rules changed or what’s the deal?

• @General_D.Fox:

I thought you could only put one man/military hardware piece in one area and that was it?  Have the bid rules changed or what’s the deal?

TripleA ladder bid rules limit one unit per territory or sea zone, with additional stricture that additional piece placed must be in territory or sea zone that already contains allied units (so you could theoretically put a German unit in Japan, I think).

I believe LHTR bids are different, allowing you to place as much as you like wherever you like that you already control.

Some tournament bids let you place only half your bid.

Basically - it depends on what bid rules you’re using.

(I’m so helpful!  I lol’d)

• I playtested the WEur IC against KGF last weekend. I don’t think it’s that powerful. Here’s how it went:

G1
    Buy BALTIC ac and IC, MED fleet moves west.

UK1
    Buy 3ftrs or 2 ftrs and 1 trn. Fleet stays in sz2. Egypt counter depends on German survivors. Kill Jap trn with des. The UK Indian ftr can land in Africa, in position to strike sz7 on UK2.

US1
    Buy ac, ftr, 2 subs. Starting Atlantic fleet goes to sz9.

R2.
    Russia smells blood after G1 so they switch to aggressive mode against Germany. They’ll have to do the ground fighting for a few turns. Ftr(s) land in London (if needed & applicable). Sub blocks German fleet in sz12 – if the Russian ftrs can reach London the sub can be spared.

G2
    London has 2inf, 2arm, 1rtl, 5-8 ftrs (4-5 UK, 1 US, 0-2 USSR) 1-2 bmrs (the UK could be missing). It can’t be taken.
    The fleet is merged. It has 1ac, 2 ftrs, 1bb, 1dd, 2trns, 3subs = DPunch 26 Count 11. UK can hit it with 4-5 ftrs (Indian ftr not included, so it may be 5-6) 1bmr 1bb 2-3 trns = Opunch 20 – 23 (23-26) Count 10 (11). US can follow with 4ftrs 1bmr 1dd 2trns = Opunch 19 Count 8. Normally the fleet will not last against the double attack.
    I don’t know whether Germany should choose not to reinforce it but I bought more navy in sz7, specifically a second ac – better than 2 subs – increasing Dpunch to 37 and Count to 14. That’s 47$ spent in the Atlantic.

Germany could avoid the double attack by blocking sz8 with a sub. This means that they’ll lose the sub but they can avoid buying navy in G2. I only did one game so I couldn’t explore all possible paths.

UK2
    Buy fleet (3-4 trns). Move fleet in sz8. You can buy the UK carrier instead to play safe. Germany won’t attack a double carrier fleet.

US2
    Buy 2bmrs, 1ftr. Move fleet in sz8. Land units stay in Canada to discourage Japan. The Allied fleets consist of 1ac, 2ftrs, 2dd, (USA) 1bb (UK), 2-3 subs (2 US, 0-1 USSR), 7-9 trns (2 US, 5-7 UK) = Dpunch 32 - 36 Count 16-19. If UK bought the carrier the Dpunch is increased by 9.

R3
    Press Germany.

G3
    The Allied fleet can be attacked with fleet and Luftwaffe adding up to a total of 2ac, 5-6 ftrs, 1bmr, 1bb, 1dd, 2trns, 3subs = Opunch 34 – 37 Count 16-17. It’s only worth against a single carrier fleet.
    Assume you don’t do it. Should you buy even more navy?
    USA can attack sz7 on US3 with 1ac, 2dd, 2subs, 2trns, 3bmrs, 5ftrs. = Opunch 38 Count 15. You have D 37 C 14. It’s a close one but the US will attack anyway and withdraw if they have to. Also, on US4 the attack against sz7 will have an increase of Opunch 14 and Count 6 (for a total of 52 and 21 respectively). That’s because the Pacific bb and trn and the US3 buys (2ftrs 1bmr) are added.

If you want your fleet to survive, you need more navy or you must withdraw to the Baltic or Med. In any case I think that the Allies are ahead and will win the game.

I don’t understand the 50/50 Unit/Cash bid.  All that does is basically double the bids, instead of 7 IPC you’re bidding 14 or 15 IPC so you can still get 7 IPCs in units on the board.

THe 1 per territory bid I’d never heard before.

The full placement is the only bid I like.  I’ll play the 50/50 and I think if I had to play a 1 per territory caveat on that I’d bit 108 IPCs so I can just rail against Europe without contest. :)

• 50/50 is designed to slow the bid.

The thought is that a bid to even out the game is more fair is spread over 2 rounds instead of in a single round.  With th single round bid, and no restriction on units per territory, you allow for significant deviation from standard strats… Ukraine becaomes a tough nut to crack with 3 extra INF.  Med Fleet HAS to stay in the Med if you want Egypt on G1.

Basically, it preserves core strats.

I don’t see it conserving anything, I only see double the bid. /shrug.

In a 50/50 bid no one’s bidding 6-8 IPCs anymore, it’s all closer to 12-16 now.

• Nope, still 7-9.  You just play it differently.

You wanna take me on with a 50/50 bid and give me 11?  LOL

If so, I can slip you in after I finish of Sankt :-)

I’m already on your queue.

Besides, I don’t like the 50/50 bid.  On either side of the coin.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m