Flags of our Fathers (and companion film)

• looks pretty good, i hope they de-emphasize the whole flag raising. it was staged after all

• Honestly, I’d rather see a movie about Okinawa, as that battle was crazy.  Eastwood has rarely disappointed me, whether acting or directing, though…

• Okay reviving this told topic.  Whos going to go see it?  It comes out this Firday and its going to pwn!!  :-D

• Im watching the first show on friday.

• I’ll be in a matinée showing on Friday.  Someone surprised me by saying they wanted to see it…  :?

• What showing are you guys going to?  Me and my friends are going at the 10:30 showing, going early is the sucks.

• This is a great film!!  I loved this movie from start to end!!  If you are going to watch this, dont expect a “Saving Private Ryan” kind of war movie.  Dont get me wrong though, the battle scenes had lots of good action (especially when they used the cockpit view from the pilots.)  It has a lot of drama stuff, but it still remains interesting.  This movie is a must watch.

I give this film a solid 10/10  :wink:

• The Japanese perspective film is Letters from Iwo Jima due out in Feb if I remember this week’s Entertainment Weekly correctly. It is based on the letters of a Japanese officer who was killed in the battle.

• I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I intend to do so.  Just slightly off the subject, if you want a good read, look up a copy of “The Burning Mountain” by Alfred Coppel.  It’s out of print, now, but you should be able to find one at a second hand store. It’s an alternate history.

It’s about two junior officers, one American and one Japanese, during the campaign to invade Japan.  You follow them through the last days prior to invasion, then into the invasion itself.  I thought it was gripping.  It wasn’t far out like some of Harry Turtledove’s stuff.

• I didnt like the fact that every battleship that was bombing the island was a Iowa Class Battleship… but of the 6 battleships that fought in the action including
    Massachusetts, Indiana,South Dakota, New Jersey,Washington, and North Carolina the last two were North Carolina class BB’s and New Jersey was the only Iowa class Battleship… They had at least one scene showing 5-6 battleships all of the Iowa class.

Secondly, That gun on mount serabachi never hit any battleship, but they showed a huge direct hit on the superstructure. Those ships were our of range of any guns the japanese had.

Another fact that about 20,000 japanese died compared to 12,000 americans wasnt felt. it seemed like the island had no more than 20 Japanese against thousands of americans.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m