• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

IT IS VERY DANGEROUS IN AN ADS GAME TO RELY ON RESULTS GENERATED USING A LL OR NL SIMULATION!

Sorry, I thought that could be said again, for added emphasis.

The point of this thread, is to determine the feasibility of forcing Japan to loose EXTRA warships at very modest costs to the Allies (if any costs.)

Consideration was takein into account (and I’m drunk, so bear with me_) that the British and American fleets are normally dead anyway before America can move.  If the Brit fleet isn’t dead it’s because Germany failed to take Egypt, or England ran away, in which case their fleet is useless for 5 turns.

• We jsut have a different view on a key element…

I think that Japan’s capital ships are less valuable in the long term than Germany taking Africa.

So, when the UK consolidates their fleet in the Indian Ocean, Germany gets more income from Africa.  And Japan is still able to destroy the Brits.  I just think an Egypt Counter is more essential than a consolidated UK fleet (of course I am not a fan of a consolidated German fleet either…)

On a similar note, is it just me or does DM always go KJF with America only???

He’s got that policy of 1 carrier a round down flat!  Hard to knock out.  Supports my theory….hehe.

• @newpaintbrush:

In the scenario you mentioned, with only slight changes to the German plan, I can see that there is a decent possibility of Germany taking London on G2 with infantry, tank, five to six fighters, (depending on whether or not USSR did the Ukraine attack, I presume no German air was risked against the lone UK destroyer at Anglo-Egypt) and bomber going against a bomber, two infantry, two artillery, two fighters, and an AA gun.

Hm.  I see that Chocolate Chip cookies are apparently a weapon of mass distraction.

Either I’m right about this, but posters chose not to read that horrible text block  :|, or posters were distracted by the cookies in the subsequent posts, or maybe I was distracted by cookies and misread something resulting in a faulty analysis.

Yes, cookies are clearly to blame here.

Or it’s Jen’s picture doing its work again.  :evil:

weapons of mass distraction . . .  hm . . .

@Jennifer:

On a similar note, is it just me or does DM always go KJF with America only???Â

He’s got that policy of 1 carrier a round down flat!  Hard to knock out.  Supports my theory….hehe.Â

Well, it has been used AGAINST me at DAAK in 3 games (all with the same person), and the first 2 were very effective.  The third I went all out for Mos, I mean all out with both Ger and Japan.  I took Moscow in rd 10 or 11, but in the Process lost all of the Pac, including Bor, EI, Phi and have been forced to trade Man (once) and Fic.
    But even though Japan took Mos, they are in serious threat by the US who have several island IC’s and the naval advantage (after I took out his first fleet).

In game one I tried the ignore/minimal ship buy until it was too late and lost, even though Germany was able to hold Cauc strong.
    In game two I tried the a more balanced naval approach and was doing okay but I overextended too quickly with Germany and a US planes on Inf attack left a key German territory open for Russian tanks.

My current game with Jen is the first time I’ve really put into action a US Pac strat to see if it really works.

Side notes would be I had success against Switch with it, unfortately It was waaaaaay too late in the game and I used very little planning b/c I wasted about 5-6 rds of the US BB just doing nothing.  Also, NoMercy used against me in an effective Mid-game move.  I think I was already losing at that point but he never let Japan really breathe and was successful in throwing off my timing between Germany and Japan.

@newpaintbrush:

@newpaintbrush:

In the scenario you mentioned, with only slight changes to the German plan, I can see that there is a decent possibility of Germany taking London on G2 with infantry, tank, five to six fighters, (depending on whether or not USSR did the Ukraine attack, I presume no German air was risked against the lone UK destroyer at Anglo-Egypt) and bomber going against a bomber, two infantry, two artillery, two fighters, and an AA gun.

Hm. I see that Chocolate Chip cookies are apparently a weapon of mass distraction.

Either I’m right about this, but posters chose not to read that horrible text block :|, or posters were distracted by the cookies in the subsequent posts, or maybe I was distracted by cookies and misread something resulting in a faulty analysis.

Yes, cookies are clearly to blame here.

Or it’s Jen’s picture doing its work again. :evil:

weapons of mass distraction . . . hm . . .

I don’t see how Germany can take London on G2.  I can’t speak for Jens scenerio, but on R1, I go Wrus and Ukr.  On UK 1, I can go to Alg but I’ll buy
    2 ftrs, 3 inf or 1 ftr, 5 inf, 1 arm or 1 bom, 5 inf.

Then add 1 US ftr and 1 US bom, that leaves UK with:
    1)  3 inf, 1 rt, 5 ftrs (4 uk, 1 us), 2 bom (1 uk, 1 us) or
    2)  5 inf, 1 rt, 1 arm, 4 ftrs (3 uk, 1 us), 2 bom (1 uk, 1 us) or
    3)  5 inf, 1 rt, 3 ftrs (2 uk, 1 us), 3 boms (2 uk, 1 us)

I don’t see how any of these are in any real danger.

Germany can attack with 1 inf, 1 arm, 5 ftrs, 1 bom.
    Pts/(Units)
    1)  23 ( 8 ) vs. 30 ( 11 )
    2)  23 ( 8 ) vs. 29 ( 13 )
    3)  23 ( 8 ) vs. 27 ( 12 )

And that is with no ftrs being shot down due to aa-fire.
    I perfer to go 2 ftrs and inf on UK 1, but #2 is the safest.

You can even send the rt to afr instead leaving: 3 inf, 1 arm, 5 ftrs, 2 boms on UK.  I don’t think it matters b/c it is a bad attack for Germany regardless.

• @DarthMaximus:

I don’t see how Germany can take London on G2 . . .

Well, in her scenario, UK1 had ground units moving from London and E. Canada to Algeria, and UK fighters flying to, I think it was West Russia.  The only units in London were a leftover artillery, the bomber that flew back, plus two newly purchased infantry, one newly purchased artillery, and two newly purchased fighters.

I presumed that on US1, the Atlantic fleet would move to further reinforce Algeria to prevent mass air attack on the UK battleship and two transports off Algeria; this also prevents Germany from easily retaking Algeria with W. Europe fighters, infantry/artillery moved to Libya, and the German battleship/transport in the med.

Actually, you can let the BB die, but I would put the US DD there.  Meanwhile, you ahve 2 US Transports iwth 2 Inf, 1 Art, 1 Arm added to United Kingdom.

German wants to attack the fleet?  Odds are they’ll loose 3 fighters at least, and that’s assuming they get 4 hits on R1.  Dunno how realistic that is when 6 Fig, 1 Bmb = 22, or 3.5 presumed hits vs the fleet.  I would assume the US DD and UK BB to hit on R1, maybe a transport hit.  UK BB to hit on R2.

• The UK took Algeria on UK1 in the scenario listed.  To reinforce London with 2 US transports on US1 stops G2 invasion, but then you have two different Allied fleets in the Atlantic; one fleet of UK battleship and 2 transports west of Algeria that’s very vulnerable if the German Med fleet moved west (can’t remember if it did or not), and one fleet of US destroyer and 2 transports (or maybe just 2 transports if you wanted to just reinforce London) in the sea zone southwest of London, that’s vulnerable to attack from W. Europe fighters (assume 4) and German bomber from Libya.

So really, I’d lose maybe a fighter to kill two transports, or 1-2 fighters for two transports and a destroyer or two fighters for UK battleship and 2 transports, something like that.  Not bad.

Coulda sworn I amended that in later posts to not have a british invasion of North Africa on UK1 and a joining of the US/UK fleets in Sea Zone 8 instead.  If not, I meant too.  (Perhaps the filter kicked it out because of a perceived bad word?)

Anyway, a UK build of 3 fighters with a consolidation of US and UK fleets in Sea Zone 8 cripple Germany’s ability to do anything more then take some more of Africa and hope to hold out against Russia.  On UK 3 you should be able to sink the Baltic Fleet and make life safe for Transports throughout the Atlantic Ocean.  (5 Fighters, 1 Bomber, 1 Battleship, 2 Transports should take out 2 submarines, 1 destroyer, 1 transport, 1 carrier and 2 fighters.)

• @Jennifer:

Coulda sworn I amended that in later posts to not have a british invasion of North Africa on UK1 and a joining of the US/UK fleets in Sea Zone 8 instead.  If not, I meant too.  (Perhaps the filter kicked it out because of a perceived bad word?)

Anyway, a UK build of 3 fighters with a consolidation of US and UK fleets in Sea Zone 8 cripple Germany’s ability to do anything more then take some more of Africa and hope to hold out against Russia.  On UK 3 you should be able to sink the Baltic Fleet and make life safe for Transports throughout the Atlantic Ocean.  (5 Fighters, 1 Bomber, 1 Battleship, 2 Transports should take out 2 submarines, 1 destroyer, 1 transport, 1 carrier and 2 fighters.)

Oh, OK then.  Well, if you united at London, then German invasion of London is out.

For the rest - not . . . quite.  Because once an Axis player sees that the Allies have massed air, and have any kind of serious navy near the Baltic fleet, you have a couple options.

1.  If there is NOT a serious navy near the Baltic fleet (say it’s just a lone battleship and 2 transports), you just send the German air force to kill everything.  Lose a fighter or two.  It hurts, but you can rebuild a fighter or two that turn.

2.  If there IS a serious navy near the Baltic fleet (US/UK fleet), you can attack with German air and the Baltic fleet as fodder.  The massed air is usually on London, where it can’t help defend.  You take a huge chunk out of the Allied combined fleet, and usually lose maybe one or two fighters, if there wasn’t an Allied AC there.  If there WAS an Allied AC there, you could then think about building more navy (probably not recommended in most games anyways, but ACs aren’t all that great on attack, so at least the Allies spent 32 IPC on 2 units with  a combined attack value of 2).

But even after 2., there is usually some Allied fleet wandering around the Pacific that’s enough to deter attacks from the German air force.  So the transports are safe anyways; it’s just that the Allies lost a bit more navy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m