• but we should keep going at designing convoy boxes and/or tuning the blockade rule

Is it unrealistic for income convoy to go through sea then land then sea again?
    Should the blockade rule’s income pass be changed so you can’t do that?

I think they should be allowed other land access… I have some other ideas, I will get them on the table soon…

Alright here are some rules about Convoys I have been thinking about (most of these you know from AAE and AAP):

Convoys:
    Convoy Boxes represent war goods from commonwealth or foreign holdings being transported back to a central power i.e. the Capital. The Territory that recieves war goods from convoys must be a water territory or the goods are considered forfeited. (Note this will require us to work out some new territory values to compensate for the convoys). These convoy boxes are considered Sea Zones, or in particular, shipping lanes that convoys cross. These boxes are considered 1 Sea Zone for movement purposes. The convoy value is printed in the convoy box, as well as the country that owns it. The Convoys power doesn’t change unless the territory it is going out of and the Capital of the owner is captured. Specific rules concerning capturing convoys will be mentioned later.

Will continue via editting…

GG

• yep I know the rule is still being formed
    but wondering how the rule change to dynamically model new ICs (eg. UK IC In India)

meanwhile I am thinking of blockade rule changes:
    *one sea trip only for the travel of IPC
    *each hostile naval units (not transports) destroys 2 IPC of all IPCs going through its SZ
    *each hostile naval unit that did not do the above destroys 1 IPC of all IPCs going through its adjacent sea zones

eg. German has 1 SS(submarine) at SZ 9, 1 SS at SZ 8, 2 SS at SZ 7
    UK routes thru SZ 9, SZ1 then SZ 2 go minimize damage
    SS at SZ 9 destroys 2 IPC, SS at SZ 8 destroys 1 IPC, SS at SZ7 does nothing
    no dice rolls

No I think I would rather have a search for it… That way the enemy is not guaranteed a victory automatically, which they never had… Now I don’t mind having them automatically steal IPC’s (unless defensive shipping is involved ofcourse)… As far as the IC thing, the Money can be converted to any constructed IC in the world, the point is the enemy has to travel close to the point of origin in order to “kill” the shipping… This is if we are using purely convoy boxes, and that is another reason I wanted to make it mobile…

GG

• close to the origin? how close?
    with blockade rule islands are affected easiest

dice rolls
    then how about
    each non-transport hostile unit hits 2 IPC of hostile shipping per turn routed via its SZ, after rolling 3 or less
    if no shipping was routed via its SZ, it may hit 1 IPC of shipping routed via one of its adjacent unoccupied SZ, after rolling 2 or less

protecting ship is done by placing friendly fleets at strategic points (like Altantic for UK) to perform a safe route of IPCs

But in most situations you will be able to re-route the SeaZones… That is what I am running into…

• yeah
    so to give players a chance to hit convoys
    I let naval units hit adjacent sea zones

and I made a mistake, it should be
    “if no shipping was routed via its SZ, it may hit 1 IPC of shipping routed via one of its adjacent friendly SZ, after rolling 2 or less”

*note OOB/LHTR definition of friendly sea zone is one without hostile units, occupied or not

1. basically to hit UK convoys you should be in North Altantic
    2. by the way, US IPCs in China stays in China…this IS wanted although its not direct goal of blockade rule (being a global rule) but a side effect

Too complicated, what happens if they have several subs along that route, then you are rolling a ton of dice, with only some gameplay results…? How can they hit adjacents anyways? It isn’t realistic… I would rather have convoys… Still working on them, I am getting busier in the school season but I will still try and get them to you…

GG

• thats ok we are all busy with stuff

yeah a.) hitting adjacent isn’t realistic
    but b.) fixed/static convoy boxes/routes isn’t realistic neither

only realistic way is to explicitly represent IPC flow
    but thats too much hence I am trying to draft a rule on a.) and you are trying b.)

• Tekky are we finished with Phase two? If not what still needs to be finished? (other than what you guys are talking about).

Also phase three rules seem quite small by comparison… I suppose its not the rules relating to the map changes and adding Italy/lend lease rules.

If i can get a clear picture of where we are at this project could be finished in a week.

Tekky: I understand that… I am trying to flow with an a. option, and still get results that appear like actual flow… I think the way this is implemented in actual shipping methods… Maybe make you should be able to buy transports and put them in a player “shipping box”… Subs can choose to raid the shipping boxes when in Certain SZ’s, listed as the “route” next to the transport… this is "hidden by the player, so the enemy has to guess exactly where it is or by process of elimination… It still doesn’t put pieces on the board, but it gives a random location feel for players…

Imp: This is Phase 3…

GG

• yeah I guess we are sorta in phase 3 already

this income, national advantage, national victory stuff are just touching up

have you been able to come up with non-accounting-intensive solutions for the missing bits of national victory yet?

after that we’ll remove the phase 1 national unit/build and national advantage and call it phase 2 final I guess

the last upload of the document (now in 1 column) was a couple of days ago

we could get a background/backdrop/watermark, convert to pdf and release phase 2 via your site!

• OK ill get to work… not my site here… on the front page.

• front page?
    graphics for phase 2 front page?

front page of AaA.org… Hey Tekky, a response to what I posted? Do you like or dislike? Qualms with it?

GG

• yeah your idea should be going towards a sweet spot

so a player could write down a routing decision

(need come up with a simplified routing system though, UK player would choose how to spread convoy IPCs between a couple of SZs
    the system may not be easy to come up…it gotta cater for new ICs which convoy no longer all go towards Capital and a global aspect looking out for gameplay like Japan taking Africa)

routing deicision is revealed at the beginning of the player’s next collect income phase to see which how shippings were hit

and a dice system like mentioned before
    each hostile naval unit (excluding transports) hits 1 IPC on a 3

no adjacent hitting stuff

I like it!

I am thinking of making it where you have IPC’s coming in based on the amount of Transports coming in, but it could constantly change like 3 seperate SZ’s along this route, and you could move a Chit to a new one every turn (unknown by the enemy), so you could make it a little confusing…

GG

• don’t get what you mean
    “3 separate SZ’s along this route”?

and I am to ask by now, whats a Chit? those grey chips we put under game units to represent duplicate?

Yes that is a chit…

The idea that I thought of was this… Instead of just having one SZ that represents the convoy of a particular route, why not have 3 SZ (max so it doesn’t get to complex) that represent it. Since you can hide them you can also hide where your “convoy” is, requring the enemy to hunt it… But since we have already stated that the convoys will be pretty defensless, they still make Sub hunting a profitable business… The catch is that since you still might want to cover those convoys with fleets eventually the enemy will know where you keep them… And if you make it so that the convoy must be in a different SZ each turn that means you will have to cover atleast 2 Zones… Battle of the Atlantic!

GG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m