• Convoy
    An IPC path consisting of sea zone(s) is a “Convoy”. IPC must enter the sea from the source territory or an adjacent territory. It may then travel to the destination via the minimal number of sea zone or one more sea zone. For example, Australia’s income to be spent at United Kingdom may only travel 8 or 9 sea zones.
      Convoy are decided and recorded by the player at end of “Collect Income” phase. It is revealed at beginning of the player’s next “Collect Income” phase. Each hostile naval unit besides AP (transport) in a convoy sea zone may perform a convoy attack roll. 1 IPC of friendly convoys in that sea zone is destroyed on a roll of 3 or less. Damage allocation procedure is the same as team combat causality.

Convoy ships were not safe in the sea. Over 1500 allied ships were sunk in 1942 alone. 8300 US merchant mariners were killed at sea in WWII. Convoys are time consuming and the war economy depends on logistics planning, particular for UK and Japan. Due to reducing flexibility as convoys approach their destination, majority of sunken allied convoys were in North Atlantic.

========= What is the point of having this? I can only see the idea is to be able to attack a nations income that is coming from other areas of the map. Thus for say Canada’s IPCs do benifit UK and the axis player can attack the income in a manner by placing a sub or ship in the path of sea zones between the two territories up to the value of Canada.

Who even came up with this?

Secondly, Blockade is basically saying you need a path clear of enemy forces from all income sources. This was written somewhat differently from the original idea which was to prohibit income from small  islands if the enemy had a ship in the sea zone around the island.

We should rewrite these and remove one of them.

This is unnecessary fluff to the varient.

WE should keep the idea that small islands cannot send income if you got a ship around the SZ

WE should also only allow lend lease payments to be subject to attacks even if your not actually “sinking” the transport. This can be abstracted by allowing attack on merchant shipping lanes with something like this: "Each hostile naval unit besides AP (transport) in a convoy sea zone may perform a convoy attack roll. 1 IPC of friendly convoys in that sea zone is destroyed on a roll of 3 or less. "

the income loss is counted on the following income phase

• @Imperious:

Who even came up with this?

Back in October, you said

@Imperious:

When you guys decide the convoy system post the entire idea as you want it in the rules. I dont have much time to figure it out.

so me and Gureilla Guy discussion for 2 pages and made this rule.
    (hence this is all strange to you)

The old system was fine for Islands. (complete blockade with one ship or 1 IPC loss per ship or die rolling doesn’t matter)
    But for continenent sea ports it seems not good enough. Its mainly about which sea port a territory’s IPC can use. Is the route allowed to go via sea-land-sea-land…

We’ll tune this convoy thing with your input.

Anyway…
    The main thing was the game logics and problem I think I see whats wrong now.
    Can we have Collect Income phase before Purchase phase?

The only reason why Collect Income is after Purchase is because the normal game setup you are given IPCs to start right?

• the reason why collect income phase is performed after purchase units phase so you can have money to pay for enemy SBR and any other economic attacks with money on hand.

so me and Gureilla Guy discussion for 2 pages and made this rule.
    (hence this is all strange to you)

LMFAO!! no wonder why it looks so strange… LOL. I knew i wasnt involved in that deal. I should have paid closer attention.

Lets go back to the idea that blockade is actually a realistic method of denying income because the control of the sea zone prohibits the transfer of IPC to the parent nation.  This will apply to all islands except austrailia, england, and Japan. So basically all islands that are included INSIDE of a sea zone. You must control the sea zone or you dont get the income.

Can we have Collect Income phase before Purchase phase

Yes sure lets go back. If enemy performs SBR then the income is reduced from the following turns income basis.

Get rid of that convoy thing or have GG come up with a good argument why its needed. I think it burdens the system and is confusing.

• @Imperious:

So basically all islands that are included INSIDE of a sea zone. You must control the sea zone or you dont get the income.

Thats fine. LHTR/OOB defines islands as a territory inside a sea zone. Australia, Japan, UK were never Islands.

Can we have Collect Income phase before Purchase phase

Yes sure lets go back. If enemy performs SBR then the income is reduced from the following turns income basis.

Actually…the “economic damage done to territory’s next collect income phase” is already in the draft.

Get rid of that convoy thing or have GG come up with a good argument why its needed. I think it burdens the system and is confusing.

Its not just Guerilla Guy I also thought its not enough.

But yeah we can get rid of convoy.

Instead of planning (writing down) sea trip of Australia’s IPCs for next turn…
    you just look at the map at beginning of next turn and if UK is blocked by then you can send to India IC instead

you can force your way thru hostile sea zone, the “1 IPC for each non-AP sea unit hitting on 3 or less” thing

• @Imperious:

can you tell me how that convoy thing works? I know your fixing blockade

Actually I was done with it.
    The old system you need to plan and write down sea paths for next turn.
    The new system you don’t.

I rephrase it a bit. Concise. Hopefully clearer.

Blockade
    IPC to be stored must have an IPC path from the source territory to the destination capital.
    IPC to be spent must have an IPC path from the source territory (or capital for stored IPC) to the destinatin territory.
    An IPC path consists of territories your land units may go through and/or sea zones. Note Stalinist Xenophobia rule applies.
    IPC not stored nor spent is forfeited.

Convoy
    An IPC path consisting of sea zones is a "Convoy”. It enters the sea from the source or an adjacent territory. It then travel to the destination territory via the minimal number of sea zones or one more.
    Each hostile naval unit besides AP (transport) in a convoy sea zone may perform a convoy attack roll. 1 IPC of friendly convoys in that sea zone is destroyed on a roll of 3 or less.

• Blockade
    IPC to be stored must have an path from the source territory to the destination capital.
    IPC to be spent must have an path from the source territory (or capital for stored IPC) to the destination territory.
    An IPC path consists of territories your land units may go through and/or sea zones. Note: Stalinist Xenophobia rule applies.
    IPC not stored nor spent is forfeited.

Convoy
    An IPC path consisting of sea zones is a "Convoy”. It enters the sea from the source or an adjacent territory. It can then travel to the destination territory via the minimal number of sea zones or one additional sea zone.
    Each hostile naval unit except AP (transport) in a convoy sea zone may perform a convoy attack roll. 1 IPC of friendly convoys in that sea zone is destroyed on a roll of 3 or less.

I made some minor changes for grammer. The blockade thing need an example. IN blockade idea its too much of a ‘sterile’ explanation. Its obvious your talking about islands so why not use that word?  Just say “income from islands to the capital seperated by sea zones can be subject to forfeiture if the enemy forces control the path of sea zones” or something like it.

The explaination is way too vauge in its former form.

• well blockade is not just about islandsi

you meant the explanation for convoy right?

Blockade
    Islands and territories are prone to enemy blockade. Regions under blockade only receive, at best, maintenance supplies via air.

Convoy
    Income from overseas territories to the capital can be subject to forfeiture. Convoy ships are not safe in the sea.  Over 1500 allied ships were sunk in 1942 alone. 8300 US merchant mariners were killed at sea in WWII.

• OK if its not about islands then can you make an example of how it works? I had a few people read it and they are also in the dark as to its meaning. If i dont even understand it its got to have some problem.

Convoy is easy to understand, while blockade is not. This is due to the way convoy is explained

Blockade means you dont get any money from territories that are “trapped” by enemy units?

So if japan is surrounded by american destroyers they dont get any money from anywhere?

What are the exceptions?

How do you store income on controlled islands that are now blocked?

Define storing?

• Firstly, maybe it shouldn’t be called “blockade”.
    I think thats whats confusing.  :|
    People trying to understand what is a “blockade” when its not in the game anymore.
    (The name came when the rule was in its earliest form.)

The rule now really just about IPC path. No teleportation of IPC.

Blockade means you dont get any money from territories that are “trapped” by enemy units?

Not enemy units but enemy territories.
    Not that you don’t get income from them, but their income can’t be used in other places. And income from other places can’t be used there.

eg.1
    From game start, USSR takes Belorussia and Ukraine. Germany’s West Russia is now surrounded by hostile territories. West Russia’s income can’t be used in other German territories. Income from other German territories can’t be used in West Russia.

The situation can be expanded to a group of territories surrounded by enemy territory.

eg.2
    Or late game, USSR only has Russia, Evenki National Okrug and Karelia. All other red territories held by Germany/Japan. Income at Russia and Evenki National Okrug can be used among the two territories. Income from Karelia can’t be used at Russia or Evenki National Okrug.

Define storing?

As with OOB. Its stored in “your hands”. When enemy captures your capital they take all the stored IPC. Except now you can store them in your capital as well as captured capitals.

So if japan is surrounded by american destroyers they dont get any money from anywhere?

Blockade via land is 100%.
    Blockade via sea is not.

You can send IPC via hostile sea zones. Convoy rule…each hostile ship destroys 1 IPC on a roll of 3 or less.
    So Japan/UK capital can’t be under 100% blockade.

• Ok that explaination makes more sence. Can you reword it in such a manner that it captures both the examples and the language of your description?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m