Teacher burns flag in classroom/ Reason? To motivate students

• 2007 AAR League

Did anyone ever mention the condition the flag was in? Maybe he was just demonstrating the proper way to dispose of an old flag :wink:

If that was the case, I think it would have been specified and he would have defended himself for such action…

GG

• @cystic:

The guy should be fired for being an idiot.  Setting a fire in a grade 7 class shows terrible judgement.  Burning the flag as an educator is IMO inappropriate - more so than if he were to lead the class in prayer.

From what I ahve heard, these were tiny flags, index card sized.

As for setting fires in a classroom…
    I guess my Science teachers all need to be fired too.  I still remember the demo of dust explosions using a coffee can, flour, and a flame (huge fireball).  And of course Bunsen Burners…

Let’s just wrap our kids in bubble wrap, blindfold them, plug their ears… lets do anythign we can to isolate them from ANYTHING.  18 year old newborns shold be quite grand for our society.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

@cystic:

The guy should be fired for being an idiot.  Setting a fire in a grade 7 class shows terrible judgement.  Burning the flag as an educator is IMO inappropriate - more so than if he were to lead the class in prayer.

From what I ahve heard, these were tiny flags, index card sized.

As for setting fires in a classroom…
    I guess my Science teachers all need to be fired too.  I still remember the demo of dust explosions using a coffee can, flour, and a flame (huge fireball).  And of course Bunsen Burners…

Let’s just wrap our kids in bubble wrap, blindfold them, plug their ears… lets do anythign we can to isolate them from ANYTHING.  18 year old newborns shold be quite grand for our society.

See, we can agree on something.  Fire in social studies is equivalent to fire in chemistry.

• It is a school building, the whole darn thing is fire resistant.

now, if he burned it on a stack of paper, then he is an idiot.  If he took the most basic precaution, then no he is not, not from a safety standpoint anyway.

Besides, when i was in HS, we had LOTS of small fires in school… boys and girls bathrooms by everyone who smoked comes immediately to mind…

• "Frankly, these kids are too young and inexperienced to have a reasonable basis for consideration of the nuances of the issue for discussion. I’m sure they don’t think I’m right, but I am. I suspect it was intended as a harmless, but ill-thought-out lesson by the teacher. But people who can’t think through the consequences of such a “lesson” don’t need to be in a position of teaching kids.

The students need a few more years to grow up before tackling this question, and in my view the teacher needs to do some growing up too."-Marswolf.

Not my words, but it pretty much sums it up for me.

• Just noticed your sig there Yahoshua.  Love the JSM quote, had to memorize it at USAFA.

Why did you change “men” to “persons” though?  Not an accurate quote that way…

• That’s the way I copy/pasted the quote from another member on another forum. I saw the quotes a little diff. on other sites too, but I didn’t concern myself too much with it. I view the word “Men” as being all inclusive, although you are right that it’d be more clear to the general public with the word “persons.”

• USAFA version (from Contrails, Class of 1991 edition):

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things.  The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.  The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

• I see how that can be more universal but at the very end it switches to the address of a man……so it looks like it really does fold both ways.  :-)

Not that I’m going to be picky about it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Because men are cheuvanistic pigs that would vote in rape if they thought women would let them get away with it?

That’s why we poor girls were held down so men could escape the chores of running a family???

Oh wait, I liked my pedastle…why do I have to work now?  Stupid women’s libers!  Can we rewind and let women stay at home all day with the kids, bake, clean and watch TV???  Please???

• 2007 AAR League

men love being with their families.  Just sometimes there are way more important things to do in life for men.  Like punching each other, the neverending eternal game of burnout.  :-P

• Or playing videogames like “Crash and Burn,” or “Doom,” or running around in our birthday suits on the field during an NFL game.

=)

But hey, at least you girls weren’t subject to the draft back in the day when women mostly stayed at home.

Although I can see how a womans’ life would become very much repetitive and BORING just sitting around at home, which is why the boardgame industry was booming in those days (I’ve been un-employed for about 2 months now and it’s driving me insane, one would think it’d be easier to get  ajob in the big city).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m