30th August: Rapunzel.
In 1862 in Northern Virginia, however, Major General John Pope was about to get his long awaited comeuppance. Lee was ready to take the offensive against the man he had come to despise, for his over confident bombast and disregard and disrespect of Virginia and the men he had come east to command.
Not heeding his subordinates’ requests for caution, Pope tried once again to break Jackson’s battered Corps(one Brigade did break, but others plugged the gap). On the union far left were only two brigades of Infantry and they were to be assailed by ten times their number. Three Southern Divisions, Hood’s, Kemper’s and Jones’ crashed onto the field, making short work of the outnumbered Northern troops.
Pope did well to recognise the danger when it appeared and sent four Brigades from three different Divisions to hold at Henry House Hill on his left. Remember this was ground fought over 13 months ago, by much the same men and officers, although most were now promoted.
This time around there would be no rout. Understandably, there was much jubilation on the side of the Southerners and a great loss of morale on the Northern side. This sense of martial superiority, begun last Summer at 1st Manassas, was to continue and come to a head on the field of Gettysburg another Summer from now.
Watched Stalag 17(1953)Timeframe : Battle of the Bulge
The movie mentions some of the events/problems of the BotB
- Didn’t recall that Stalag 17 had a Sg. Schultz
- Wonder if that is where they got the Sgt. Schultz idea for the Hogan’s Heros TV series. –"I know nothing!Â I know nothing.!"
- Also noted a mousey German Private with spectacles in a coupla scenes.
- Anyone recall Arty Johnson of the TV series Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In fame.Â He occassionally portrayed a WWII German Private whose main comment vas, “Veeeery interesting!” This is the character I believe he based his Nazi on.
- Peter Graves, the second leader of the Mission : Impossible IMF(Impossible Missions Force) was the the sneaky Nazi spy in this movie.Â I wonder if it affected his career.Â I do not recall him in much of anything else between S17 and M:I.
I have this movie. Its got alot of the same characters from the show. Its quite funny as well except when the Nazi informant gets shot by the Germans by accident.
I like Hogans Heros better i got seasons 1-4 on DVD
Seen it many times. I do believe that I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the show was based on this movie, at least in part.
Yep it was pretty much like the movie, characters and all.