Converting Revised To The Modern Era?

• I’ve heard this game can last for days and can be a real slog. Is there a setup for this game that makes it better?

• @all-encompassing-goose said in Converting Revised To The Modern Era?:

I’ve heard this game can last for days and can be a real slog. Is there a setup for this game that makes it better?

You added tags for two different games. Please let us know which game you are talking about:

“Revised” from 2004

or

“1942 Second Edtion” from 2012.

• @panther Revised from 2004. I added that because the topic kinda talked about the modern 2012 game rules or something blebbbb

• @all-encompassing-goose Compared to the more “modern” games like 1914, G40 and even AA50 to an extent, Revised’s map is pretty simple (meaning games on Revised are a lot faster than those three).

That being said, I would personally ignore the OOB Victory conditions (which are ludicrous, since Allies taking out Tokyo and Berlin is unfeasible in a realistic amount of time and Axis getting 2/3 Allied Capitals is similarly long and drawn out). Try something like the following:

1. If Axis gain control of Leningrad (Karelia SSR), Moscow (Russia) and India, Axis win.

2. If Allies take one Axis Capital while holding all of their own, Allies win.

If you want to have the game done in ~5 hours you can use the old Face-to-Face tournament rules from the convention I used to play at that ran events from 2004 - ~2019. It’s a custom set of Victory Cities you can play with that adds a bit of depth to the game strategy wise.

• Honestly, if it’s speed you want, the game you’re looking for might be… Axis & Allies & Zombies. Have you tried turning off the zombies, cards, and techs and just playing this version otherwise straight out of the box? The board is a modernized and lightly simplified Revised board; the pieces, costs, and rules are modernized Revised pieces… IPC values are a bit lower but otherwise this might be a great fast option; much better and richer than AA41.

Regarding revised,

@domanmacgee said in Converting Revised To The Modern Era? (emphasis mine):

@all-encompassing-goose Compared to the more “modern” games like 1914, G40 and even AA50 to an extent, Revised’s map is pretty simple (meaning games on Revised are a lot faster than those three).

This. Revised is simpler and faster than 42, 42.2, AA50, and either P/E40 individually.

To keep things moving/modern, I would use some of the more salient bits from LHTR 2.0:
    1. Allow fighters to land in Sea Zones that are about to gain newly-built Aircraft Carriers
    2. Turn off AAA fire during NCM

Next, for speed and simplicity:
    3. Ditch the NAs and Tech rules.
    4. Move the Purchase Units phase to after NCM, so the turn just goes
    - Combat move
    - Combat
    - NCM
    - Purchase & Mobilize Units
    - Collect Income
    5. Use a laptop & spreadsheet to publicly track VCs and IPC income levels on a TV or wall projector in the room
    6. Use battle dice to simplify and greatly speed up die-rolls.

Finally, I would do what @DoManMacgee suggests above and pick territories corresponding to a modern VC set - like the below - and then set a threshold for victory, like 15/20 or even 13/20 at the end of the US turn.

1. Ottowa
    2. New York
    3. London
    4. Paris
    5. Berlin
    6. Rome
    7. Warsaw
    8. Leningrad
    9. Stalingrad
    10. Moscow
    11. Cairo
    12. Calcutta
    13. Singapore
    14. Manila
    15. Shanghai
    16. Hong Kong
    17. Sydney
    18. Tokyo
    19. Honolulu
    20. San Fransisco

My old group could play Revised in <4 hours; faster for games that are conceded early due to failed (or successful!) gambits, bad dice, and other shenanigans.

• @All-Encompassing-Goose said in Converting Revised To The Modern Era?:

I’ve heard this game can last for days and can be a real slog. Is there a setup for this game that makes it better?

djudication System:
    The determination of who wins a game will be based upon the control of Victory Territories (VTs). The Victory City method of determining a winner will NOT be used. Each side controls 12 Victory Territories at the beginning of the game. The Victory Territories are listed below.

AXIS POWERS

GERMANY
    Germany
    Western Europe
    Southern Europe
    Eastern Europe
    Ukraine SSR
    Norway

JAPAN
    Japan
    Manchuria
    French Indochina
    Philippine Islands
    East Indies
    Borneo

ALLIED POWERS

USSR
    Russia
    Caucasus
    Archangel
    Novosibirsk

UK
    United Kingdom
    India
    Anglo-Egypt
    Australia

USA
    Eastern US
    Western US
    Hawaiian Islands
    Sinkiang

If a player holds 18 (or more) VTs for a full round of game play (from the end of a countrys turn to the beginning of that same countrys next turn.), then that player automatically wins.
    In the event of a VT tie at the end of the game, whichever side increased its IPC total is the winner. If the game is still tied after reviewing the IPC totals.If a player chooses to concede before the game has reached the 18 VT automatic win threshold or the game time limit 6 Rounds. The winner will be give a victory total of 19-5.

If no time limit, call it after 6 rounds (bid of 3-5 to Allies is the most balanced) if you have a time limit 4.5 hours for experienced players or 5 hours if less experienced/will play slower. Just ensure you get 5 or 6 rounds in.

• PantherP Panther moved this topic from Axis & Allies Revised Edition on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m