More Announcements from Renegade

• Founder TripleA Admin

Check out the article here: https://www.axisandallies.org/p/renegade-announcements-new-axis-allies-site-you-pick-the-battle-and-more/

Not included in the article is that I have made contact with the community manager and Renegade will now be working with us for updates and so forth.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Now the speculation part begins. :wink:

What do you think the choices of battles will be? I’m guessing it will be heavy on the European theatre but I would wager there will be at least one Pacific battle.

• Speculation, you say? :thinking_face:

I’m guessing Renegade researched the license and the market before acquiring the license, and that we may see India and China. I don’t expect either to be selected, but a poll would introduce the idea of having games about events in those theaters.

I predict we will not see the First Soviet-Finnish War. It’s an important part of history, not just of itself, but how action and thought around it shaped how things unfolded in Europe. But I think it’s too political in the current climate.

My guess is Renegade may not have the licenses to the particular versions of some Axis and Allies games, like D-Day, and they may try to publish new editions with entirely new rules, to capture whatever proceeds, while capitalizing on name value of the theater.

But for various reasons, I’m guessing Operation Barbarossa / Battle of Stalingrad.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

It is possible that Renegade has already prepared some titles for a new line of Axis & Allies games, most likely based on some of the most famous battles of WWII:

• Operation Sealion
    • Battle of Moscow
    • Battle of Midway
    • Battle of Stalingrad
    • Battle of Kursk
    • Battle of Berlin

Since most Axis & Allies Veteran Players already use Modifications, House Rules and Expansions for Axis & Allies, we expect to see a set of rules that is compatible with various Axis & Allies games - especially G40.

Introduction of new units is most likely also part of Renegades plan.

We’ll see what happens after 3rd February.

Anyway, it will take time before any new Axis & Allies game is available to players.
    Game developement and play testing are crucial and time consuming factors.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

If Renegade is limiting themselves to WW2, then a purely Japan Vs. China game would be an interesting one. Most WW2 games focus on USSR Vs. Germany (or the European theater in general) and the few that don’t usually devolve into USA Vs. Japan unless it’s on a huge scale.

• I posted a long response on their discord, but will summarize here:

Every A&A expansion has focused on US battles, so at least one of the 4 ideas will be US focused. The main US battles not covered in Europe are Italy and North Africa, and of the two I believe North Africa will be chosen (Rommel vs Montgomery, Afrika Korps, El Alamein, Tobruk, US landings… it’s a great, and self contained campaign):

So #1 is Axis & Allies North Africa

The next major European battle/campaign would have to be Barbarossa, or Stalingrad. Either would be good, Barbarossa is large scale land/air combat, and Stalingrad would be a first (city battle, encircled army, air resupply). I’d wager that Barbarossa is the more likely of the two, but Stalingrad might also be an option. For now, let’s go with the former.

So #2 is Axis & Allies Barbarossa

That leads us to the Pacific. We already had Guadalcanal, a couple classic options would be Okinawa or Iwo Jima but both would honestly be quite similar to D-Day in mechanics. I think Midway is the more likely option, anything larger infringes on the Pacific 1940 game.

So #3 is Axis & Allies Midway

Now, we return to Stalingrad, and also examine other battles. France 1940? We can play out Dunkirk, the Battle of Britain, and SeaLion all in one game. I think it’s a tossup between the two!

#4 is Axis & Allies Stalingrad (or others!)

• @the-captain said in More Announcements from Renegade:

Since most Axis & Allies Veteran Players already use Modifications, House Rules and Expansions for Axis & Allies, we expect to see a set of rules that is compatible with various Axis & Allies games - especially G40.

Introduction of new units is most likely also part of Renegades plan.

We’ll see what happens after 3rd February.

Anyway, it will take time before any new Axis & Allies game is available to players.
    Game developement and play testing are crucial and time consuming factors.

I hope that only the spirit A&A is captured in the battles. I like that Bulge, D-Day, and Guadalcanal had different mechanics. I like that these are shorter (dare I say “modern”) games that don’t take 20 days to finish.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

Sounds exciting!

For the Battle boards, I’d like to see something with materials that could also be used in Global.

I have Bulge, D-Day and Guadalcanal, but honestly they’re all just collecting dust in my closet lol. Same deal with the Europe and Pacific 2001. None of my friends who still game ftf seem particularly interested in revisiting these titles. So unless I was raiding them for HR sculpts, I haven’t really had a reason to even open the boxes in years. Bit of bummer there, since they got some charm, those games, but I think it’s because the smaller battle/theater boards are pretty self contained. I use the blockhouses I guess, and some of the cards are nice, but again not a top choice ftf. I get more requests to play Classic or Revised, if people want to stroll memory lane. Full disclosure, I’ve also never had any requests to play just Europe 1940 or just Pacific 1940 ftf, so there’s that as well. Sorta like "let’s go all weekend - or bust!’ with the combined Global game totally eclipsing the two constituant Theater games for that one.

This leads me to think that any new Battle Board really needs to justify itself with some unique sculpts or something, cause that’s a big draw. I’m struggling to think of anything they could put out that I wouldn’t end up buying, cause I always do lol, but then I think I’m pretty obsessed with A&A, so probably not the best yardstick. What I enjoy is a box that can be raided, with extras for the big one. But then there’s the challenge that the smaller boards have fewer factions, so it’s harder to get a complete roster.

Perhaps sculpts for Air and Naval bases? Or facility units of that sort, which are more generic/universal. Basically the stuff that doesn’t need a national tint for the colored plastic, so they can be used in other games?

Not a real answer I suppose heheh

But yeah, always good to hear of new stuff on the horizon. It’s been a hot minute! Haha

Look forward to seeing what they cook up!

• @black_elk

“Raiding” other games is fairly common practice in A&A, and there’s an easy solution for Renegade Games.

For any game that includes new sculpts, just make them for all the powers! For example, Axis & Allies Zombies included cards for 1942, I could easily see a A&A North Africa game introduce, say, a Tank Destroyer piece with sculpts for the US, Italy, Germany, and the UK. It would be child’s play to include 4 more sculpts in that box, for France, Japan, USSR and Anzac.

That means that everyone who owns Global 40 would want to buy it ($$$), and everyone who owns A&A North Africa already has “pieces” for Global 40 and is incentivized to buy that next. Win win win!

• '17 '16 '15 Organizer '14 Customizer '13 '12 '11 '10

They should team up with Beamdog and make online E40 and P40 as well as Global, plus produce a vinyl map of 1942.2 that has counters that look like online 1942. Five sheets of counters, plus Tech counters and neutrals. map should be 72 x 36. the Artwork will be exact artwork as online 1942. The counters would save the production costs while still producing a nice game. Of course, chips are included to designate multiples of units. The game would also come with a bag of round metal bits , one for each counter so players can glue the metal weights to each counter. Thats way you can play outside and the chits wont blow away. This might not look like a proper product, but it will sell like hotcakes.

• @imperious-leader said in More Announcements from Renegade:

They should team up with Beamdog and make online E40 and P40 as well as Global

Why not just only Global, completely ignoring E40 and P40? I think it’s fairly obvious the only reason they exist is commercially to split the Global game (and its price) in twain.

• @cernel Ignoring? My quip is all three versions: Global, E40, and P40. Latter classic Milton Bradley might be in the cards.

• @reloader-1

I just joined Renegade’s Discord server.
    I have zero experience with this platform. So must figure things out.

My username (?) there is: thrasher .

David / AxisAndAllies.org,

Thanks for posting this info. I hope you personally and we as the AAO community can play a nice and healthy role in developing these new Axis and Allies games.

• @djensen said in More Announcements from Renegade:

Not included in the article is that I have made contact with the community manager and Renegade will now be working with us for updates and so forth.

Very good news, David. Very good to hear that Renegade wants to make good use of the huge amount of knowledge, experience and enthiousiasm that is availible at #AxisAndAllies.org :)

• B barnee referenced this topic on
  • B barnee referenced this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m