Question regarding Allies' African Victory Condition

• Hello Young Grasshopper,
    So my group of friends have been using your 3G40 Tournament rules to play for a while now, and I have a questions about the Allies’ African Victory Condition. The Victory Condition as written is:

"The Allied powers control all non-neutral territories on the continent of Africa."

Is Madagascar considered one of those territories? On any map or collection of “African Countries” Madagascar is totally included, however, I could see it not “Being ON the Continent” despite it being on the continental shelf etc.

The reason it is important is that in a couple weeks I am going to play as Italy. And, (depending on what I’m left with when I finally get to go) I was thinking about taking Gibraltar on “Italy 1”. Then, assuming the axis still had Gibraltar on “Italy 2” I was going to move a transport and any other ships I had down the West African Coast to SZ 38 and land the units in French West Africa. Then South West Africa on “Italy 3” if it is open. And finally on Madagascar on “Italy 4”.

It feels like a conjoined Allied effort can take the African Victory point every game. Yes, sometimes the Axis get all of North Africa, but it takes a lot of resources. So my thought was to stalemate Africa as cheaply as possible so as to focus on defending Europe, taking Russia, or doing Sealion.

I’d love to hear your thoughts/suggestions on the Wayward Italian fleet either way.

(I’d personally LOVE to “Barracks lawyer” the Allies Team, when they say “No that doesn’t count”, and I’d be all, “I have a green light from Young Grasshopper right HERE!” But, not at the cost of the game’s integrity/fun/balance.)

Thanks for doing all you do for the community.

• @newzealandnich It seems to be a bit debatable.Worldatlas.com and others list Madagascar as a country of africa.Like Japan is part of asia etc.
    I love YGs tournament rules.I’m certain he considers malta,cypris and transjordon as non-africa territory for the sake of UKEurope bonuses.
    IMO I don’t think the allies should recieve something as important as an Africa VICTORY token if axis controls Madagascar.

• @ampdrive
    Yeah, I watched one of YG’s videos on YouTube where he is going over the Victory Conditions, and he explicitly says, « not including Madagascar »

• @newzealandnich Good to know he mentioned it.He created the ruleset so it’s his final call.I’ll have to watch the youtube video to satisfy my curiouscity.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m