• Hi -

Is there a consensus on what the rule is for Global 1940 when it comes to AA guns in combat, and how they are lost? It seems the rules, the errata, and even some of the topic conversations all contradict themselves. The three options that I’ve seen:

1. AA guns are not involved in combat. If a territory is taken over, the AA gun transfers ownership, like an industrial center.

2. AA guns can be destroyed like any other unit/fodder, they just don’t have a defense combat value.

3. AA guns don’t have a role in combat and get destroyed when a territory is taken over, like transports.

What is everyone’s understanding of the rule?

Thanks!

• @azpathfinder said in AA guns in combat:

1. AA guns are not involved in combat. If a territory is taken over, the AA gun transfers ownership, like an industrial center.

This is not part of neither the Global 1940 rules nor the FAQ. You likely confuse that with Spring 1942 or Anniversary Edition or older editions.

1. AA guns can be destroyed like any other unit/fodder, they just don’t have a defense combat value.

AA guns may be chosen as casualty, as the Global 1940 rules state.

1. AA guns don’t have a role in combat and get destroyed when a territory is taken over, like transports.

This is not part of neither the Global 1940 rules nor the FAQ. I am not aware of any ruleset that supports this interpretation.

The rules are pretty clear, I wonder where you find “contradictions”.

• @azpathfinder said in AA guns in combat:

Hi -

Is there a consensus on what the rule is for Global 1940 when it comes to AA guns in combat, and how they are lost? It seems the rules, the errata, and even some of the topic conversations all contradict themselves. The three options that I’ve seen:

2. AA guns can be destroyed like any other unit/fodder, they just don’t have a defense combat value.

3. AA guns don’t have a role in combat and get destroyed when a territory is taken over, like transports.

What is everyone’s understanding of the rule?

Thanks!

Where are you seeing these contradictory statements?

#1 Sounds like it is from AA50 neglecting the part about firing first against all aircraft participating in the battle at a value of 1.

#2 Sounds like it is from Global 1940. AA Guns participate in combat and have a defense combat value of 0. They fire first at a 1 against up to 3 participating aircraft.

#3 I have never heard of before in any version and is an inaccurate statement for both AA Guns and Transports.

Europe 1940 Rulebook - Page 29

No Combat Value: Even though an AAA unit can defend, either alone or with other units, it has a combat value of 0. This means that an AAA unit cannot fire in the defending units fire step. It can, however, be taken as a casualty. If a territory containing AAA units and no combat units is attacked, the AAA units are automatically destroyed. AAA units may never attack.

Air Defense: An AAA unit can fire at an air unit only when that unit attacks land and/or air units in the territory containing that AAA unit. AAA units fire only once, before the first round of combat. Each AAA unit in the
    territory may fire up to 3 shots, but each attacking air unit may be fired upon only once. In other words, the total number of air defense dice rolled is 3 times the number of AAA units, or the number of attacking air units, whichever is the lesser. For example, 5 fighters attacking a territory containing 2 AAA units would have 5 shots fired against them while those same 5 fighters would have only 3 shots fired against them if there were only 1 defending AAA unit.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Barely beat me to it Panther! :grin:

• Thank you both for the clarification! I’m sure we were confusing previous versions of the rules. I could have sworn I saw something, maybe in the errata, that said AA guns couldn’t be destroyed. This all makes sense.

• @azpathfinder You may have been looking at the 1st edition FAQ. In the 1st edition, AA guns were treated in much the same way as in AA50, where they cannot be destroyed (other than being sunk on a transport).

• @krieghund I knew I read it somewhere thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m