• Is there a best response to J1 DoW? I have searched here and haven’t found it. Assuming OOTB, Japan attacks Phil, NSW navy, and BB in Malaya SZ, what is the response - US all-in v. Germany, US all-in v. Japan? Apart from lucky dice or tech adv, is there any real response that cannot be countered?

• 2023 '22 '21

For what it is worth. My response as the Allies would be to think about defending India as much as possible, if Japan builds a port in Haian or takes Malasia then India can be very vulnerable, early lose of India is a big problem that’s hard to reverse.

However, the US is free now, so maybe a combined fleet off Queensland threatens Japanese control of the DEI, which are key to Japan having the income to build the units needed to keep attacking. Maybe stack Hawaii, and threaten the Japanese home islands so they have to put units into defending that. Build a naval base on Midway and stack there if you feeling really dangerous.

Also, use Chinese, and maybe a couple of Russia, units to keep Japan having to thinking about those flanks. Early on Japan has plenty of planes which can move to wherever the problem is, but not enough land units and transports, so take out those if reasonable to do so.

Basically, avoid getting deleted, stretch them out and attack where they are weak. Japan has the early power to go where it wants, but can’t be everywhere as it’s empire expands.

A J1 DOW does also free up the US to move over to North Africa and Gibraltar, so this could encourage me to think about going for an early securing of the Med, and using UK resources in the Middle East to build units there to help India.

• @jando

If Japan is declaring war on everyone like in real life, the Allies should just do what they did in history. Wait to build your forces and catch small isolated units of the Japanese fleet. Hold on to India and Australia. Germany first.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m