[Game 2] DoManMacgee (Central Powers) v TGC (Entente) 1914, no bid with Russian Revolution

• @domanmacgee

Game History

Round: 4

Puchase Units - British
            Condition TankProductionBritish: British has their production frontier changed to: lateWarProduction
            British buy 3 artilleries, 1 fighter, 4 infantry and 2 tanks; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - British
            1 infantry moved from Angola to Belgian Congo
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Kamerun to Belgian Congo
            2 artilleries and 3 infantry moved from Egypt to Trans-Jordan
            1 artillery moved from Albania to SZ 17
            1 artillery and 1 transport moved from SZ 17 to SZ 28
            1 infantry moved from Anglo Egyptian Sudan to SZ 28
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from SZ 28 to Arabia
                  British take Arabia from Neutral_Allied
            1 infantry moved from Mesopotamia to Syrian Desert
                  British take Syrian Desert from Ottomans
            1 artillery, 2 fighters and 5 infantry moved from Persia to Mesopotamia
            2 fighters moved from India to Mesopotamia
            2 artilleries and 5 infantry moved from India to Persia
            1 infantry moved from South West Africa to SZ 24
            1 battleship, 1 infantry and 1 transport moved from SZ 24 to SZ 26
            1 infantry moved from SZ 26 to British East Africa
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Brest to Paris
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from Wales to SZ 8
            1 artillery, 3 infantry and 2 transports moved from SZ 8 to SZ 15
            1 artillery and 3 infantry moved from SZ 15 to Brest

Combat - British
            Battle in Trans-Jordan
                British attack with 2 artilleries and 3 infantry
                Ottomans defend with 1 artillery and 2 infantry
                    British roll dice for 2 artilleries and 3 infantry in Trans-Jordan, round 2 : 0/5 hits, 2.33 expected hits
                    Ottomans roll dice for 1 artillery and 2 infantry in Trans-Jordan, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.50 expected hits
                    2 infantry owned by the British lost in Trans-Jordan
                Ottomans and British reach a stalemate
                . Battle score for attacker is -6
                Casualties for British: 2 infantry
            Battle in Belgian Congo
                British attack with 1 artillery and 3 infantry
                Germans defend with 1 infantry
                    British roll dice for 1 artillery and 3 infantry in Belgian Congo, round 2 : 2/4 hits, 1.67 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 infantry in Belgian Congo, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 infantry owned by the British lost in Belgian Congo
                British win with 1 artillery and 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for British: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry

Combat Move - British

Place Units - British
            3 artilleries, 1 fighter, 4 infantry and 2 tanks placed in India

Turn Complete - British
            British collect 44 PUs; end with 44 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Germans regular : 0.50
    Ottomans regular : 0.50
    British regular : -2.00

UK4.tsvg

• @the_good_captain Game History

Puchase Units - Ottomans
            Condition TankProductionOttomans: Ottomans has their production frontier changed to: lateWarProduction
            Ottomans buy 6 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Ottomans
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Ankara to Syrian Desert
            1 artillery and 1 infantry moved from Trans-Jordan to Smyrna
            1 artillery and 6 infantry moved from Constantinople to Ankara
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Serbia to Albania
            3 artilleries and 11 infantry moved from Romania to Sevastopol
            1 infantry moved from Bulgaria to Romania
            2 fighters and 1 infantry moved from Ankara to Constantinople

Combat - Ottomans
            Ottomans creates battle in territory Trans-Jordan
            Battle in Syrian Desert
                Ottomans attack with 1 artillery and 2 infantry
                British defend with 1 infantry
                    Ottomans roll dice for 1 artillery and 2 infantry in Syrian Desert, round 2 : 0/3 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 infantry in Syrian Desert, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                British and Ottomans reach a stalemate
            Battle in Trans-Jordan
                Ottomans attack with 1 infantry
                British defend with 2 artilleries and 1 infantry
                    Ottomans roll dice for 1 infantry in Trans-Jordan, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 2 artilleries and 1 infantry in Trans-Jordan, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.50 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Ottomans lost in Trans-Jordan
                British win with 2 artilleries and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is -3
                Casualties for Ottomans: 1 infantry
            Battle in Albania
                Ottomans attack with 1 artillery and 2 infantry
                British defend with 1 infantry
                    Ottomans roll dice for 1 artillery and 2 infantry in Albania, round 2 : 2/3 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    Italians roll dice for 1 infantry in Albania, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the British lost in Albania
                Ottomans win, taking Albania from Italians with 1 artillery and 2 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for British: 1 infantry

Combat Move - Ottomans
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Ottomans to Trans-Jordan: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

Place Units - Ottomans
            6 infantry placed in Constantinople

Turn Complete - Ottomans
            Ottomans collect 18 PUs; end with 18 PUs

Italians regular : -0.50
    Ottomans regular : -1.00
    British regular : 0.00

I moved all but one INF out of TJ but forgot to edit it out/edit it back in so I just put it back during NCM (it didn’t score a hit on any of your guys anyway).

1914-game-2-o4.tsvg

• @domanmacgee

Game History

Puchase Units - Italians
            Condition TankProductionItalians: Italians has their production frontier changed to: lateWarProduction
            Italians buy 1 artillery and 4 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Italians
            4 infantry moved from Rome to Tuscany
            1 battleship and 1 cruiser moved from SZ 18 to SZ 17

Combat - Italians
            Battle in Tuscany
                Italians attack with 8 artilleries, 1 fighter and 15 infantry
                AustroHungarians defend with 5 artilleries and 6 infantry
                    Italians roll dice for 8 artilleries, 1 fighter and 15 infantry in Tuscany, round 2 : 10/24 hits, 12.00 expected hits
                    AustroHungarians roll dice for 5 artilleries and 6 infantry in Tuscany, round 2 : 7/11 hits, 5.50 expected hits
                    5 infantry owned by the AustroHungarians, 5 artilleries owned by the AustroHungarians and 7 infantry owned by the Italians lost in Tuscany
                AustroHungarians and Italians reach a stalemate
                . Battle score for attacker is 14
                Casualties for Italians: 7 infantry
                Casualties for AustroHungarians: 5 artilleries and 5 infantry

Combat Move - Italians

Place Units - Italians
            1 artillery and 4 infantry placed in Rome

Turn Complete - Italians
            Italians collect 10 PUs; end with 10 PUs

Italians regular : -2.00
    AustroHungarians regular : 1.50

I4.tsvg

• @domanmacgee

Game History

Puchase Units - Americans
            Condition TankProductionAmericans: Americans has their production frontier changed to: lateWarProduction
            Americans buy 1 fighter, 2 infantry, 1 tank and 2 transports; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - Americans
            Trigger AmericansRemoveRestrictions: Setting movementRestrictionTerritories cleared for rulesAttachment attached to Americans
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for AustroHungarians and Americans from Neutral to War
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for Russians and Americans from Neutral to Allied
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for Germans and Americans from Neutral to War
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for French and Americans from Neutral to Allied
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for British and Americans from Neutral to Allied
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for Ottomans and Americans from Neutral to War
            Trigger AmericansJoinWar: Changing Relationship for Italians and Americans from Neutral to Allied
            3 artilleries and 9 infantry moved from United States of America to SZ 1
            3 artilleries, 9 infantry and 6 transports moved from SZ 1 to SZ 14
            3 artilleries and 9 infantry moved from SZ 14 to Portugal

Combat Move - Americans

Place Units - Americans
            1 fighter, 2 infantry and 1 tank placed in United States of America
            2 transports placed in SZ 1

Turn Complete - Americans
            Americans collect 20 PUs; end with 21 PUs

USA5.tsvg

• @the_good_captain Game History

Round: 5

Puchase Units - AustroHungarians
            AustroHungarians buy 1 artillery and 8 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - AustroHungarians
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Removing units owned by AustroHungarians from Tuscany: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by Neutral_Central to Tuscany: 1 infantry
            5 artilleries and 6 infantry moved from Poland to Livonia
            2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from Budapest to Galicia
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Trieste to Venice
            2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from Vienna to Tyrolia

Combat - AustroHungarians
            AustroHungarians creates battle in territory SZ 18
            Battle in Livonia
                Germans loiter and taunt; AustroHungarians attack with 5 artilleries and 6 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 infantry
                    AustroHungarians roll dice for 5 artilleries and 6 infantry in Livonia, round 2 : 4/11 hits, 5.33 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 infantry in Livonia, round 2 : 0/1 hits, 0.50 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians lost in Livonia
                AustroHungarians win, taking Livonia from Russians with 5 artilleries and 6 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 3
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry

Combat Move - AustroHungarians
            Turning on Edit Mode
            EDIT: Removing units owned by Neutral_Central from Tuscany: 1 infantry
            EDIT: Adding units owned by AustroHungarians to Tuscany: 1 infantry

Place Units - AustroHungarians
            1 artillery and 8 infantry placed in Vienna

Turn Complete - AustroHungarians
            AustroHungarians collect 30 PUs; end with 30 PUs

Russians regular : -0.50
    AustroHungarians regular : -1.33

1914-game-2-ah5.tsvg

• @domanmacgee

Game History

Round: 5

Puchase Units - Russians
            Russians buy 1 artillery and 6 infantry; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Russians
            1 infantry moved from Ukraine to Poland
                  Russians take Poland from Germans
            13 artilleries and 21 infantry moved from Ukraine to Sevastopol
            8 fighters moved from Moscow to Sevastopol
            3 artilleries moved from Moscow to Belarus
            2 artilleries moved from Moscow to Belarus
            1 infantry moved from Moscow to Karelia
            6 infantry moved from Moscow to Belarus

Combat - Russians
            Battle in Belarus
                Russians attack with 5 artilleries and 6 infantry
                Germans defend with 1 artillery and 2 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 5 artilleries and 6 infantry in Belarus, round 2 : 4/11 hits, 5.33 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 1 artillery and 2 infantry in Belarus, round 2 : 3/3 hits, 1.50 expected hits
                    3 infantry owned by the Russians, 1 artillery owned by the Germans and 2 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Belarus
                Russians win, taking Belarus from Germans with 5 artilleries and 3 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 1
                Casualties for Russians: 3 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 artillery and 2 infantry
            Battle in Sevastopol
                Russians attack with 13 artilleries, 8 fighters and 21 infantry
                Germans defend with 1 artillery, 2 infantry and 1 port; Ottomans defend with 3 artilleries and 11 infantry
                    Russians roll dice for 13 artilleries, 8 fighters and 21 infantry in Sevastopol, round 2 : 20/42 hits, 20.50 expected hits
                    Germans roll dice for 4 artilleries and 13 infantry in Sevastopol, round 2 : 4/17 hits, 8.50 expected hits
                    4 infantry owned by the Russians, 3 artilleries owned by the Ottomans, 1 artillery owned by the Germans, 11 infantry owned by the Ottomans and 2 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Sevastopol
                Russians win, taking Sevastopol from Germans with 13 artilleries, 8 fighters and 17 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 43
                Casualties for Russians: 4 infantry
                Casualties for Germans: 1 artillery and 2 infantry
                Casualties for Ottomans: 3 artilleries and 11 infantry

Combat Move - Russians

Place Units - Russians
            1 artillery and 6 infantry placed in Moscow

Turn Complete - Russians
            Russians collect 23 PUs; end with 23 PUs

Germans regular : -3.00
    Russians regular : -1.83

R5.tsvg

• @the_good_captain Alright. I’ll throw in the towel at this point. I was expecting a loss in Sevastopol but I was hoping the territory would hold (it wasn’t completely unrealistic since I brought exactly 20 units. Anything under the average would have been okay). That whole series of moves was just a desperate bid to beat the odds and take down Russia anyway.

My main plan of killing Italy failed. If I had to guess, it’s probably because I sent a rogue German stack into France proper instead of just trying to finish the job in Italy. I’m sure you can tell from the games you’ve played but getting troops around the board gets really hard when you’re playing OOB (in LHTR you can NCM troops two tiles as long as the tile you land in is friendly-controlled (so, to enter a contested tile or start a new battle, you have to begin the turn adjacent to the tile you wish to move into). The lack of Economic/Political Collapse also got me bad, since I forgot that Italy was just going to spawn a new army to reinforce Tuscany after I committed to fighting there. With that in mind, trying to kill Italy without literally sending like 80-85% of Austria and Germany’s stuff to the area is pointless. The whole “Kill Italy” strategy is also sort of moot when troop movement is slowed down, as realistically a theoretical takedown won’t happen until like round 6, at which point the Americans will already be there.

Also; good on you for noticing that I put a AH TT on the board on turn 1 and immediately murdering my navy once I moved guys into Trieste. That was partially responsible for me going belly-up in the game as fast as I did.

Yeah there were whacky dice in this round but I don’t think it was enough to greatly influence the outcome anywhere. Even if I got better luck in the AH2 dive on Romania, it probably would have just delayed my surrender from turn 5 to ~turn 8 or so (since your numbers in the Russia theater wouldn’t have snowballed out of control so quickly, meaning I could have allocated my Austrians a bit better). In the end though, the issue was the speed of my movement in Italy, not so much what was going on in the other parts of the board (Russia, Middle East, etc.).

• @domanmacgee Whoops, I guess I brought 17 to Sevastopol and not 20 like I thought. My main points still stand though.

• @domanmacgee I read your guys’ essays on KIF. I was surprised to see you go for it in this game bc your essays were on LHTR if I’m not mistaken?

I think I’m a bit more well versed with this Revolution rule and now I have a new CP opener. Were you game to switch sides and go again?

• @the_good_captain Yeah we can do that.

TBH I went for the KIF as a “let’s try it” sort of thing since that strategy was only built/tested on LHTR. I never bothered with it on OOB because I assumed the game would play out more-or-less exactly like ours did (I already gave my 3 paragraph rant on it above).

I probably won’t make R1 until the morning but get the game ready and I’ll get on it.

If you’re interested/don’t recall them, LHTR are here: https://axisandallies.fandom.com/wiki/Larry_Harris_1914_Tournament_Rules

It’s a pretty big deviation from OOB though (other than the two-move thing, it basically applies a limited version of RR to every country in the game) so it’s pretty far from the sorts of changes you usually advocate (i.e. adhering to the base rules of the game as much as possible).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m