• Hi there fellow lovers of A&A D-DAY.
    Hope some here can help with a challenge -

Background -
    My pal and I have played this wonderful game 54 times now (over many years) - and kept notes over the detailed results (end turn, forces remaining etc). We have always played with all cards (we like the random factors & tactical options), vanilla rules (no mods) and by the clarifications in the FAQ.
    Headline results are that the Axis has won 63% of the time (34/54).

The basic reasons seem obvious -
    (1) Allies need things go well in both movement and battles…more so than the Axis. After all…they have to capture those Victory Cities!
    (2) Axis have better forces overall - effectively more tanks and guns, broadly netted off with having less infantry than the Allies. Plus the Axis forces are better in defence.

Challenge -
    We want to address this apparent bias to Axis - and would like ideas please on how to do this.
    Do others find this imbalance too & can you help please?

Our best idea so far is to replace 4 or 5 Allied infantry in the reinforcements (post beach landing restrictions) with Allied tank units. The thinking is that these are faster and better units than the infantry and so help to balance up the movement and force imbalance.

Have read other potential rule changes here (particularly about artillery options) …but think this would favour the Axis yet further for a number of reasons.

Can you help please? Thanks guys - much appreciated! :blush:

• Well when you play with all cards it does favor the axis more based on if allies beachhead landings are delayed a turn and allies lose to many planes. Plus reinforcements. US can only land so many pieces but UK doesn’t seem to have that problem.
    I did go to d8 dice so the odds for allies to not roll that 6 I believe that delays the landings. That seemed to help but not really your option here.
    We been playing only 1 deck and seems to favor the allies more. So ya using 3 decks makes it change more for allies.

As for adding allies tanks maybe start with swapping out 2-3 only.
    As the norm have to test it.

• @general-6-stars

Thank you : How does moving to D8 rather than a D6 work please?

Do you roll a D8 for all Fortune cards only …and only on an 8 get the adverse result that rolling a 6 on a D6 would bring? If yes - Do you also leave a beneficial result on a 1 only too please?
    This effectively leaves the Fortune cards in play but statistically significantly reduces their impact?
    Many thanks ! :)
    AJ

• Well with d8 u have to change the setup a bit and add more art for Germany. But also everything increases 1 number on attack and defense. Would need to go back and look at charts.
    This is also adjusted based on using only 1 deck.

Your best bet is to keep it d6 unless your willing to change it up to d8.
    Can’t remember why we went back to 1 deck even with d8.

d8 with 1 deck as of now allies 3 to axis 1 for wins. Always came down to turn 9 results and if Germany artillery killed any planes.

We even swapped out 5 German tanks with 5 Tigers.

How many axis pieces left on map after they win 60% of your games ?

• @general-6-stars - Thank you …where would I find more details on the following then please ? -
    (1) Changes to Set-up
    (2) More Artillery for Germany (?)
    (3) +1 to attack & Defence ? - So Infantry attack on a 2 and Defend on a 3 etc?
    (4) German tanks for Tigers??

I’ll check the lists for average and range for Axis pieces left on map at end of the game & revert
    Many thanks again
    AJ

• I just changed values on the battle board. Setup changes I’ll look for
    and post. Keep in mind there for d8.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m