• Two Main Areas:

Discrimination against women
    -Numerous reports of sexual harrassment and sexual assault against women

Discrimination against minorities

• 24% of the u.s. causalties in Vietnam were Latino
      -over 50% of the front line troops in the Persian Gulf War were minorities (minorities make up 30% of the modern infantry)
      -military recruiters specifically target poor minorities, while offering them nothing of real value

No Educational Support
    -less than 15% of those who serve a term in the military graduate with a 4-year degree
    -those who join the military tend to earn less later on in life

Polution

• the US military is the biggest poluter in the world

Size
    -why does the US need 1.3 milion ACTIVE personnel?
    what enemies do we have?
    -why do we have hundreds of thousands of troops deployed all around the globe

Cost
    -the US spends more on its military than most countries’ GDP
    -the U.S. spends 51% of it’s budget on the military while tuition for public colleges goes through the roof why do we nood that much destructive power?

Thats just off the top of my head. Is it just me, or is some reform needed?

• I was always a little mystified as to why the US maintained such an extremely large military while maintianing that it is a peaceful nation. Doesn’t make a whole buch of sense to me.

Great quote, dude :smile:

• Being a veteran, I can say recruiters target EVERYONE they can get. They have quotas to fill. As for what they can offer, all possible recruits take knowledge exams to see what military schools you can get. In the Navy, they WANT everyone in the nuclear training program due to the high drop out rate. They don’t give a Damn what you are.

Remember, the US government is one of the largest employers in the world. It suffers all the problems companies have. Whether it’s ANY discrimination or waste, it’s going to happen. They are working on it, I’ve seen alot of improvement in the past 10 years. They’ve got alot more people to answer to than the private sector.

• As for the large military presence, let’s be real. I’ll admit my country will remain arrogant. We are the only superpower left. Our government wishes to keep it that way. Our people, thinking for security and safety, quietly agree. We stick our noses in everyone’s business. All American’s don’t agree with what always goes on. I personally believe we should “but out” on various world issues. But I don’t see it happening any time soon. Does America have the right to play policeman to the world??? I, as even most Americans, would say “NO”, but it still happens…

• '19 Moderator

This is probably going to sound a little rude but this crap really jerks my chain.

First off, I’m willing to bet the guy who started this thread was never in the military.

I have, and let me tell you, the military is by far less discriminatory than the civilian world. In any unit I was ever in a soldier was evaluated and rewarded for ability. I can’t say the same for any civilian job I’ve ever had.

You can make statistics say anything you want so don’t believe everything you read.

Do you think Japan would be the economic power they are to day if they spent any money on military? Believe it or not the US military does do some good from time to time.

Sometimes I think people search the Internet for days to come up with some terrible statistic they can parade as injustice. If you are going to whine about something try something you are more familiar with. Do you know how exploited the south American coffee bean farmers are that slave for 16 to 18 hours a day so you can sit at Starbucks sipping your latte and whine about the military that guaranties you freedom to be a whiner?

Me either.

• yes but the problem is that the companies that force that slave labor in south america are sleeping with the white house execs who control the military and allow that kind of practice to take place…america’s military has done some great things but I guarantee you that every time we go in to “save thousands of lives” it is for some discreet political or economic issue that is never brought to the surface. That’s why we stay out of some issues like the coffee farmers and that euthanasia that took place in Indonesia or some island down there 2 years ago…t-something…oh yea, by the way, i’m writing this post assuming that we need a military, which i don’t personally agree with.

• On 2002-05-04 09:21, btownthug16 wrote:
    yes but the problem is that the companies that force that slave labor in south america are sleeping with the white house execs who control the military and allow that kind of practice to take place…america’s military has done some great things but I guarantee you that every time we go in to “save thousands of lives” it is for some discreet political or economic issue that is never brought to the surface. That’s why we stay out of some issues like the coffee farmers and that euthanasia that took place in Indonesia or some island down there 2 years ago…t-something…oh yea, by the way, i’m writing this post assuming that we need a military, which i don’t personally agree with.

no kidding…just like butting in and saving the Kosovars from being “cleansed.” Clinton needed a war to distract the public…but that still doesn’t mean that NATO didn’t do a good thing.

The US army isn’t discrimatory (spelling!) Mostly uneducated people join up, so don’t be surprised if the majority populations in cities join up and die.

Furthermore, the LAtinos have earned themselves the most medals of honor. More than any other race. Not that race matters though.

• I disagree with you except on 2 parts.

A) US Military is way too big. We just have to be everywhere incase something happens that has nothing to do with us somewhere where I can’t even pronounce.

B) Gay’s are discriminated against in the military. I have a gay cousin who was kicked out, wasting 3 years of his life at the Naval Academy.

• I never said the military was evil. All I said was that it needed reform.

One more thing:

The military treats the heath of it’s soldiers like crap. atomic Testing during the fifties, agent orange during the vietnam war, testing the anthrax vaccine, depleateated Uranium waste on tanks and bullets, the Persian Gulf Syndrome.

Something should be done.

The VA did a poll of recent women Veterans, and almost 30% said that they had been raped. Come on, something should be done.

• On 2002-05-05 16:23, yourbuttocks wrote:

depleateated Uranium waste on tanks and bullets

Depleated uranium shells are completely harmless, unless they’re getting shot at you. People are far too concerned with nuclear waste. Have you ever heard of the inverse ratio law? energy disapating in a 3 dimentional space is spread out at a phenominal rate. sound, light, radiation, everything that travels in wave form obeys this law. you double your distance from the source, you get 1/4 the intensity; you quadrouple the distance, you get 1/16 the intesity. If you stand 10 feet from most nuclear waste you’re perfectly safe.

• That was me.

• B) Gay’s are discriminated against in the military. I have a gay cousin who was kicked out, wasting 3 years of his life at the Naval Academy.

when?

• On 2002-05-05 19:32, Anonymous wrote:

Depleated uranium shells are completely harmless, If you stand 10 feet from most nuclear waste you’re perfectly safe.

What if you’re not ten feet away?

• Depleated uranium is not most nuclear waste. Have you ever taken a gieger counter to it? almost completely inert.

• Is it just really compact and good for bullets?

• 4 years ago

• Depleated uranium is really dense, quite a bit more dense than lead. The more dense the high velocity projectile the harder it is to stop, and the more penetrating power it will have. That’s part of the reason A-10s busted through Iraqi tank colums like no other in the Persian Gulf.

• By arguing how dangerous Uranium is, you’re just circling the issue. The military needs reform. 30% of women raped is f-cking screwd up!

• '19 Moderator

I agree, no more women in the military, problem solved.

• 30%!!! Where can i see this statistic?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m