• Hey Tri.

I don’t remember the last time my German bomber was somewhere other than Anglo R1.  It’s a side effect of always going for the united navy; I’m almost always under-powered in Anglo.

But I thought about bombing CAU.  I wanted it.  Couldn’t have it.

Peace

Edit:  Not directed at CStraw, he snuck in a post as I was typing this.

How did I miss this thread?

I’d like to say, maybe tone it down a bit.  This just goes for everyone.   :-)

This is eirly similar to my games with AgentSmith and some Classic threads, we’ve probably played 4-5 games with me winning maybe 2 and Agent 3.  But we still argued over who was better blah blah blah.  And it got nowhere fast.

And least no one has been called a “Chucker yet”.   :-D

Clearly if CStraw wants to play Switch he can and if he doesn’t then no big deal.  But even if they were to play one game it wouldn’t solve who was “better”.

Cough  LL vs. ADS debate  Cough

We should all remember it is a game and the most important thing is to have fun.  I love some friendly trash talking, but I think we’ve gotten a little beyond that, so lets reign it in.

We don’t want to suppress strat talk, and if some things work for some players, then great, will it work against everyone, nope.  And I don’t think anyone is professing to have the be all and end all of strats, cause their isn’t one.

There isn’t one in Classic, and there won’t be one in Revised.

Give it a few more years and I think you’ll find the so called “elite” players using specific moves/counters, not b/c cause they win 100% of the games, but b/c cause they give them the opportunity to win 70-80%.

To flashback to Classic, I think a 22-23 PE bid is very beatable for the Allies, why??  It is designed for a specific purpose and once you know the one to two best ways on how to defend it on R1, it is useless to go with a 22-23 PE bid.

BUT a 22-23 PAfr bid gives options, hence a better chance to win long term.

Now to Revised, you will see the same thing (not in bid amounts), but in what may be consider a “gimmick” or “one trick pony” strat (like a PE bid) and what strats give you the best chance at long term success against any random person.

Does PE still work in Classic, yes.  But I would consider it a bit of a gimmick and not a particularly fun game or style to play.  And it goes with an assumption that your opponent is inexperienced and I think that is a very bad assumption to make, especially when playing someone you don’t know before hand.

Now, I don’t know anything about these C-Sub papers or anything, but if they work for certain styles, under certain circumstances, or as specific counters then great, but my personal style is geneally geared on position, being land based, right around the center of the board, I consider everything else secondary.

• Um, what does PA and PAfr mean?  I’m not too familiar with those terms. Obviously I must not play much if I don’t know what htey mean… :oops:

• @ncscswitch:

Then be on your way sir.

When you are willing to test your mettle come back.  Otherwise, be gone with you and your alleged superiority.  I claim the field until such time as you are willing to test yourself beyond the small group of people who attend Cons…

If you really think FTF con players are a small crappy minority of bad players, then you should have the guts to travel to one and wipe the field. I wasn’t going to get into this, but since you equate online folks as superior, let me remind you that FTF players dont have hours to review a board, dont have simulators they can run 1000 times to get results. They play on instinct and talent. But they play.

I’d offer up $4 just to see you and Crazy play. If you had free airfare, why not go?? Im sure they’d throw in a lift from the airport too.

Squirecam

• @General_D.Fox:

Um, what does PA and PAfr mean?  I’m not too familiar with those terms. Obviously I must not play much if I don’t know what htey mean… :oops:

PE is Power Europe (Bid in Europe)
    PA is Power Asia, most of the bid in Asia
    PAfr is Power Africa, with most of the bid in Africa

These are holdover terms from Classic, as is the bid distribution where SOME portion o fthe bid had to be palced in Europe, just to keep Germany from being under seige T2.

• @squirecam:

If you really think FTF con players are a small crappy minority of bad players, then you should have the guts to travel to one and wipe the field. I wasn’t going to get into this, but since you equate online folks as superior, let me remind you that FTF players don’t have hours to review a board, don’t have simulators they can run 1000 times to get results. They play on instinct and talent. But they play.

Now you are misunderstanding me Squire.

Perhaps I was unclear in my previous post, if so please allow me to clarify here.

The people who attend Cons are a small segment of overall gamers.  A lot of gamers never attend Cons (hell I was a hard core AD&D player for decades, but never attended a Con even then).  Another segment, and based on the numbers of folks registered at places like DAAK and Flames larger group, are the online gamers.

Now, on to the specifics of the comment in how it was intended (since I was less than clear).  Based on what has been posted, CS’s experience (and by his own statements the C-Sub essays) are the result of FTF play, in particular Con play.  CS is not a registered user at either DAAK or Flames (that I could find on the member lists anyway).  That means that his experience would appear to lack direct personal knowledge of online gaming, at least via those forums.  If he is using another, then my assumption is in error.

Online play opens you up to play ANYONE, anywhere, anytime.  It is not dependent on the time, ability, or money to travel to Cons.  It is not dependent on the attendance at a particular Con.  And, based on membership here, at Flames, DAAK, etc., there are a LOT more folks online than could ever attend or game at a Con.  You also get a more diverse group of gamers online than you would at a Con, again by definition since you are not limited to the folks who have the time, money or inclination to spend at a Con.

Are there advantages to each side in online play?  Yes.  You mentioned sims, and especially for newer players, sims are a great benefit.  Once you have been doing it for a while though you can run viable sims in your head, whether FTF or online.  As for studying a board… in general, I know 90% of my moves for the coming turn as soon as I see my opponents move.  The other 10% is contingent upon other moves and combats that will occur in the interim.

Are there advantages to FTF play?  Yes.  Poker faces, confidence, even an air of intimidation… all are virtually impossible online.

Are the two types of play different?  Yes, of course they are.  CS even agrees with that.  And he goes so far as to say that strats that work FTF may not work online (which again was part of my original point that started this whole fracas).

As for me attending a Con… it is not an issue of funds, but of TIME, and inclination.  Honestly, I do not care to spend 5 days traveling to, attending, and traveling from a bunch of tables set up in a convention hall in a far away town.  Just not my bag.  Am I as a result missing one aspect of play?  Yep.  But am I eliminating myself from ever playing those folks a game?  Nope, because there is another venue that does not require travel, or the dedication of 5 days of your life in one swell foop, in order to engage in that game.

I hope that clarified my thoughts, which were not intended as a slam on Con gamers.  Just a simple statement that Con gamers represent only a portion of all gamers, and a rather small one at that.  The largest slice of course are the non-Con, non-online gamers… the folks who get their game out of the closet from time to time to sit down with friends and play.

• CS is not a registered user at either DAAK or Flames

<start pacifist=“” harp=“” music=“”>Hello Switch.

I would like to just mention that you already know I have a different screen name on CSub (themarvinmarian) since it was mentioned in one of our threads.  How would CrazyStraw not being registered in the other forums be signficant?  Has someone provided you a list of my screen names?

For all you know, I’M RICK JAMES @#%$*!

I’m sure that you just made a slight oversight and that you would NEVER talk about something when you had no knowledge about it.

Thanks for your time.  If you want, I can even show you how to edit your posts to remove those kinds of gaffes.

Peace</start>

• I’m reporting this thread. Some moderator, please lock it. I didn’t come in here to read about this player versus that player. It’s an endless and fruitless discussion.

• @DarthMaximus:

I’d like to say, maybe tone it down a bit.  This just goes for everyone.   :-)

How did we end up at a point where a freaking Sith lord is the level-headed peace maker?

Solid post, Darth.

:-D

• Locking per request.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m