• My friend and I have just started playing again after a few years. I was playing Allies, on my first turn, I did not attack with Russia and decided just to fortify my front and collect my money. I thought I would have a better chance of winning. He pretty much walked all over Russia with this strategy. What is Russia’s best beginning strategy?

• 2007 AAR League

Either attack Belorussia and West-Russia while having the majority of yuor forces on West-Russia (probably your most important territory on the front - you can contest 3 territories with germany from there)

or you can attack West-Russia and Ukraine. (Ukraine is good to knock out as well as you can potentially knock out a fighter from the germans instead of them using it on Africa or your ships in the sea.)

Ukraine can go badly though. So hit it with caution.

• 2007 AAR League

my bad, I tohught this was Revised.

Obnly played Classic once.

Basically I think, is you hit Ukraine and the territory in front of it,t ehn stack Karelia every turn.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’m assuming classic since that’s the thread you are in.

1)  8 Infantry purchase. (Purchase Phase)
    2)  Sub/Trn to Spainish Sea Zone Submarine (Combat Move Phase)
    3)  Two fighters to Baltic Sea Zone fleet (Sub/Trn) (Combat Move Phase)
    4)  Land fighters in Karelia (Non-Combat Move Phase)
    5)  Move all land units from Russia and all but 1 land unit from Caucasus to Karelia (Non-Combat Move phase)
    6)  Move 2 Infantry, 1 Armor from Soviet Far East to Yakut SSR (Non-Combat Moe Phase)
    7)  Move 2 Infantry from Evenki National Okrug to Yakut SSR (Non-Combat Move Phase)
    8)  Place 8 Infantry in Karelia

end result:

19 Infantry, 3 Armor, 2 Fighters in Karelia
    1 Infantry in Caucasus
    7 Infantry, 1 Armor in Yakut SSR
    (Probably) 1 Submarine in Spainish Sea Zone

24 IPCs on round 2.

Next round either take E. Europe or retake Caucasus (lightly) and start staging British and Americans in finland/norway and move them into Karelia.

Germany should cease to exist in 3 rounds.

• Not sure how I can do this, isn’t one of the rules in the book is that you cannot have more pieces on the board than what you have. Like say I have 10 tanks in my tray, does that not mean I can only have 10 tanks at one time on the board? Is that not the same with infantry? Not sure if I have 6 infantry I can purchase at the beginning.

No.  If that rule’s there, and I don’t remember it - but it could be - no one ever plays by it.  We almost always have stacks of infantry numbering in the 20’s if not up to the 40s in our games.

• No, you can use chips (that is what they are for) to place under units to increase the size of a stack… an INF with 4 white chips and a red is 10 units (1 for the INF figure, 1 for each white chip, 5 for the red chip).

Also, one thing not mentioned above is a STRAFE battle…

Strafing is well covered in other threads (Darth and Agent Smith were extensive posters on strafing).  The short version is that you attack into a territory for 1 or more rounds, but retreat prior to actually taking teh territory.  It allows you to significantly weaken teh German front, and still gets all of your units to Karelia for defense.

Yup.  Bear in mind you loose units on a strafe too.  and this is normally done by Germany against huge Russian stacks ntil they have neough to take out Russia and hold it.

• By the way, mpeder, there is no limit to the number of units you can have in any one territory. That’s what the chips are for.

• @Jennifer:

1)  8 Infantry purchase. (Purchase Phase)
    2)  Sub/Trn to Spainish Sea Zone Submarine (Combat Move Phase)
    3)  Two fighters to Baltic Sea Zone fleet (Sub/Trn) (Combat Move Phase)
    4)  Land fighters in Karelia (Non-Combat Move Phase)
    5)  Move all land units from Russia and all but 1 land unit from Caucasus to Karelia (Non-Combat Move phase)
    6)  Move 2 Infantry, 1 Armor from Soviet Far East to Yakut SSR (Non-Combat Moe Phase)
    7)  Move 2 Infantry from Evenki National Okrug to Yakut SSR (Non-Combat Move Phase)
    8)  Place 8 Infantry in Karelia

end result:

19 Infantry, 3 Armor, 2 Fighters in Karelia
    1 Infantry in Caucasus
    7 Infantry, 1 Armor in Yakut SSR
    (Probably) 1 Submarine in Spainish Sea Zone

24 IPCs on round 2.

Next round either take E. Europe or retake Caucasus (lightly) and start staging British and Americans in finland/norway and move them into Karelia.

Germany should cease to exist in 3 rounds.

I assume you did not play with bids, so I would slightly alter the combat moves. By some they are regarded as weak moves, but hey everybody got their own oppinion.

My usual R1 movements (no bid, no rr)

1. buy 8 inf

2. Attack sub sz, with 1 sub.

3. Attack baltic fleet with 1 fig and 1 tran

4. Strafe Ukr with everything available from Kar, Cau and Mos (8inf and 3 arms if I am not mistaken). Most optimal result is that you leave Ukr with 1 fig or 1 fig and an arm. (retreat to Kar with your remaining forces)

5. Attack Man (I believe you can hit it with 5 inf, 1 arm and 1 fig)

6. NCM 1 inf to cau from russia, rest to Kar.

7. NCM 2 Infantry from Evenki National Okrug to Yakut SSR
      8.) NCM Land you fig (baltic battle) in Kar

8. NCM Land your fig (Man battle) in yakult

9. Place 8 inf in Kar

10. Collect 27 IPC’s

Optimal result:
    Kar: 14-16 inf, 3 arms  and 1 fig
    Cau: 1 inf
    Man: 1-3 inf and 1 arm
    Yak: 2 inf and 1 fig
    SpZs: 1 sub
    Baltic: 1 tran

This is if everything went according plan with dice in your favor. I think a lot of people here will agree with me that this will give Russia the most potential and will set back the Axis the most. But again playing with no bid is really flawed, but you should discover that yourself first before you understand why bids are necessary and where to place your bid.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m