Question Transporters, acceptable losses?

• I’ve been playing the different axis and allies games for a while, and last weekend i started
    playing a&a pacific for the first time. I encountered a problem which i can’t find an answer for.
    I wanted to attack Japan in a sea zone, 2 battleships, 2 subs, 3 destroyers and 3 transporters of mine entered the enemy controlled sea zone. Japan had 1 battleship, and 2 destroyers in that zone. I thought that ,even if i threw the dice unlucky, i could easily put the transporters aside because in that case those losses where acceptable. The thing is, this caused a discussion between me and my friends, they said i could not count the transporters as victims of an enemy throw because they do not really participate in the attack. Could anyone tell me what’s right?
    In my opinion I’d say, lose those transporters, they’re in the same sea zone so they can be counted as a loss….
    This is the first time this came to discussion, we never thought about that while playing the other games.

Many thanks…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not sure if it changed in Pacific or not, but in Revised and Classic you can most definately take Transports as victims of defense rolls.  So yes, it would be legal for a transport to be sunk by a defending ship.

• OK thnx, i always played the game this way and i don’t think they have changed the rules all of the sudden. 
    Discussion closed!! Unless someone posts a different story…. :-D

thnx again…

• They are good fodder in Pacific too. They participate in the battle even though they don’t roll. I think they have a space on the attacker side of the battle board with 0 next to it or no attack value or something. Shoot hold on let me go look….

On page 14 of the out of box rules, “Even though the transport has no attack factor, it may be selected as a caualty should the attacking force be required to eliminate a unit.” That is under the put all units on the battle board section on that page.

Just seconding Ms. Jennifer’s position.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Thanks, Frimmel.  I was almost positive if they were still available for casualties in revised they would be in Pacific too.

• Indeed they are. Transports make excellent targets for the Japanese Kamikazes.

• Thnx for the extra confirmation Frimmel…. So, the game continues…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m