• We have similar vision. Thats a compliment.

AH Third Reich is one of the best resources for designing a game if ever their was one. You dig deep and you’ll see many ideas that i pulled from it in the early concepts.

The John Prados version or that stupid GMT abomination “world at war” are not even clever copies of the original masterpiece.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Imperious:

We have similar vision. Thats a compliment.

AH Third Reich is one of the best resources for designing a game if ever their was one. You dig deep and you’ll see many ideas that i pulled from it in the early concepts.

The John Prados version or that stupid GMT abomination “world at war” are not even clever copies of the original masterpiece.

Yea, it really was a great game.  I wish it’s naval combat was a bit more like it’s land combat, but even that’s decent.

Though, the attrition got a bit bogged down at times.  People just never knew when to do a heavy tank assault and try to cut huge chunks of enemy units off from their supply causing them to retreat or die! hehe

• Well in the advanced game they abstract the various naval ideas with having the ASW box, the U-boat box, the convoy box and you invest money to fight UK’s economy or invest to fight the subs.  Its probably all they could do with the naval aspect due to the complexity of the land sequence. I love the breakthru and exploitation concept in that game and i love breaking the Soviet line. The build sequence and the ability to invest in your economy BRP growth rate is a valued concept that many games miss. This is a very realistic concept. I have in my latter games and i took it from this great game. Damm it you got me looking for that game just to look at it. ( i own 3 copies of it).

arrg! :|

The other nice thing is everyone’s tanks, infantry, planes, etc were not the same!  Some hit harder, some moved faster, etc!

• Yea soviet tanks are 3-5, german are 4-6 and some are 5-6 ( the SS panzerkorps)

Italy and UK have some at 2-5

otherwise its 1-3, 2-3, and 3-3 or 3-4 (USA)  for infantry… simple and realistic.

@Imperious:

Yea soviet tanks are 3-5, german are 4-6 and some are 5-6 ( the SS panzerkorps)

Italy and UK have some at 2-5

otherwise its 1-3, 2-3, and 3-3 or 3-4 (USA)  for infantry… simple and realistic.

Didnt America also have 5-6 tanks?

• Nope.

The US had very inferior tanks to the top of the line German tanks.

We just had more.

@ncscswitch:

Nope.

The US had very inferior tanks to the top of the line German tanks.

We just had more.

But that doesn"t answer the question of didn"t the game ship with US tanks that were 5-6 in designation?

• Not in the counter mix. They are 4-6

4-6 was still good in the game though.  Since you could only have 2 + aircraft per territory…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m