Autumn 2022 Battle of Britain - 9th October - See Battle Report

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

The next Battle of Britain will be held on the 9th October. We currently have 8 players (+1 possible) with space for more.

This all-day event is held in Derbyshire, UK. Typically we will have three A&A games running - Anniversary, 1942.2 and 1914 - allowing players to decide which they wish to join.

If you would like to come along then please either reply to this thread or contact me using the Chat facility on this website.

Cheers
    Adam (PP)

PS The winter event will be on 22 Jan 2023.

• W Witt pinned this topic on

• @private-panic would be very interested in joining you guys. Own and played a bunch of global 1940, and live in Nuneaton. Not fussed at all who I play or what game specifically.

Would love to join if you have room :)

• @commander-puffin Good to hear from here and by PM. Glad to have you on board! :blush:

• Following a couple of unavoidable cancellations we had 8 players and decided to play 2 games:

1. Anniversary

Allies – Leo (US) and Mark (GB & R)
    Axis – Lee (G & I) and Jon (J)

I was not involved in this game so this report is certainly patchy and probably inaccurate! If any of the players wish to add to or correct my attempt below then that would be great!

The Allies quicky established a sizeable fleet in the Atlantic, drawing G units away from the eastern front, but a 7 plane attack against a 7 unit fleet managed to sink it. However GB withdrew from India and focused everything it could on it’s North African position. The Italian Mediterranean fleet hit the bottom of the sea and a factory was built in Cairo.

J enjoyed capturing India and putting its own factory there. However the US put paid to any triumphalism by sinking the J Pacific fleet.

GB also quickly re-established an Atlantic fleet.

G was thus unable to gain numerical superiority against R and never threatened Moscow.

The Axis surrendered when the US captured Tokyo. :clap:

2. 1942.2

Allies - Andrew (GB) and Adam (US & R)
    Axis - Mark (G) and Dave (J)

No intercepts. Allies had a 12 bid and placed a sub off Australia and another off India.

GB & US managed to position an unassailable fleet in the North Sea by turn 3. G rushed forces to defend western Europe. NW Europe was traded a couple of times, but then allied forces began their march through Scandinavia, eventually capturing Karelia for R, with perhaps 25 units in position and a constant supply of reinforcements.

At no point did G manage to send sufficient units east to threaten Moscow. At one point R had a 27 unit/55 power attack on G’s main stack of 21 units/55 power. In the first round R scored 4 hits and G scored 11. Stalin cried. :cry: R retreated. :runner: Even so G was unable to generate the force to make progress.

In the meantime J made mincemeat of the GB attack on its East Indies fleet in the opening turn. It put a fair number of units into Asia and J incursions from the east did begin to inflict some losses on R. But J struggled to compete with US naval builds. The US began by capturing a number of Pacific islands before venturing to within range of the Philippines. As J’s fleet retreated GB was able to grab both the East Indies and Borneo.

Plus GB’s India stack was able to move the Persia and help R’s southern territories.

Victory was beckoning for the Allies! :trophy:

Then Adam made 2 mistakes that afforded a couple of irresistible opportunities to J. Tanks and planes could combine to gain good odds on Moscow. Fleet and planes could combine to gain moderate odds on the US fleet. However the planes could not do both. J focused on taking Moscow and were successful in this. The planes diverted to Moscow meant that an attack against the US fleet would be at a slight disadvantage, nevertheless J launched this attack too. In round 1 J got 8 hits and the US got 10. J retreated. The US then attacked the J fleet and sank it.

R retook Moscow with something like 28 units remaining.

Then began the debate as to the winner. Adam was convinced that the Allies had won despite his mistakes. :blush: The Axis disagreed. :angry: We turned to our 2 independent observers (Lee & Jon as their game had finished) and they decided that the game was a draw. However Mark did accept that the Allies had an advantage, albeit insufficiently so to claim victory.

• @private-panic Thanks . Great day. Had been 3 years for me. Far too long, but with reasons.
    I saw the Japanese potential hit on the US fleet and never considered Dave would shirk from the overwhelming victory it portended.
    Dave: you should have taken out the US fleet . Just to see Adam’s face!

• PantherP Panther unpinned this topic on
  • 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@witt Happy to see you made it witt ! I was reading through and saw you listed and was thinking, I don’t think he’s been there in a while :)

• @barnee thank you.
    I had to go (amd my wife insisted I did too). There have been many reasons , but my eye sight is the main one.
    Was great to see the guys and to play fave ti fave . Although, I would have liked to have okayed against Adam and smashed up his fleet .
    We are the best of friends!

• @witt said in Autumn 2022 Battle of Britain - 9th October - See Battle Report:

@barnee thank you.
    I had to go (amd my wife insisted I did too). There have been many reasons , but my eye sight is the main one.
    Was great to see the guys and to play fave ti fave . Although, I would have liked to have okayed against Adam and smashed up his fleet .

Ya cool you got to go Leo !

• @witt said in Autumn 2022 Battle of Britain - 9th October - See Battle Report:

That’s what you think!!! :angry:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m